Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How much is enough?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:38 PM
jamesdean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is enough?

I put in this system last weekend and it baffles me that people are putting in systems in Z's with dbl/triple/or more power than I put in mine. Now I am excluding anyone showing their vehicles or entering competitions. Mine is so loud and clear my ears ring if I turn it up past one quarter volume,bass hits hard enough listening to Rock that folks are looking my way from a few blocks distance. I mean do ya'll really listen to your systems loud enough to warrant all that excess power ?

Pic of whats installed in my Z:
HU Pioneer AVIC-D3

Old 06-17-2010, 06:46 PM
xzotklr

You know what they say......if the music's too loud then you're too old!!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AVIC-D3? wha'd you pay for that technology?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:11 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK. Everybody seems to be getting Hertz speakers. Where on Earth do you get them? I searched quite a bit and can't seem to find much.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:15 PM
BonesZ33

stock is enough for me,, just gotta get something to plug my iphone into thats all
Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 PM
redlineTRIZLE

[QUOTE=jamesdean;8465280] I mean do ya'll really listen to your systems loud enough to warrant all that excess power ?

yes
Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is really getting that loud at only a quarter volume, it sounds like it is not tuned correctly. A good tuned system will let you go to 3/4 or more. Sounds like your gains are turned up to high. Most people think the gain controls on an amp are volume controls. You really are not running that much power using that amp. FYI more power does not mean louder it means a cleaner sound as you have more headroom before the sound clips. In order the give you an idea how power works, in order to double the sound you have to increase the power ten fold. A 200 watt amp is not twice as loud as a 100 watt amp. In order to double the sound of a 100 watt amp you have to get a 1,000 watt amp.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

^ Perfect answer!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

That little adjustment to your volume control should not increase loudness to the degree you describe. I suspect there is also at least some degree of distortion accompanying the increase in loudness you report.

The problem could be your HU Pioneer AVIC-D3 which has older technology and lacks the controls allowing transparent mating to some devices from other manufacturers.

Look at the latest generation of digital H/U’s from Alpine and Kenwood to solve the problem you are experiencing. The new digital H/U’s have a plethora of features that support balancing even the most non-compliant systems that stubbornly resist proper balancing and poor volume control.

--Spike
Old 06-18-2010, 02:23 AM
jamesdean

Originally Posted by surfcity40
AVIC-D3? wha'd you pay for that technology?
Nothing it was in the car when I purchased it.....

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
OK. Everybody seems to be getting Hertz speakers. Where on Earth do you get them? I searched quite a bit and can't seem to find much.
Purchased mine at HiFiBuys,compared them to JL's,Boston's there,imho much fuller sound than the other two. Only other options locally were polk,alpine etc and they all sounded like crap comparitively

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
If it is really getting that loud at only a quarter volume, it sounds like it is not tuned correctly. A good tuned system will let you go to 3/4 or more. Sounds like your gains are turned up to high. Most people think the gain controls on an amp are volume controls. You really are not running that much power using that amp. FYI more power does not mean louder it means a cleaner sound as you have more headroom before the sound clips. In order the give you an idea how power works, in order to double the sound you have to increase the power ten fold. A 200 watt amp is not twice as loud as a 100 watt amp. In order to double the sound of a 100 watt amp you have to get a 1,000 watt amp.
I was taking a little bit of dramatic leeway there btw. the amps digital ,we turned the gain to full and it was as clean as 3/4's <which is where its set btw> and More power does mean louder if the amps are of the same quality because at low levels both would be clean,the gap would only show at higher volumes if everything else remains static.

Originally Posted by Spike100
That little adjustment to your volume control should not increase loudness to the degree you describe. I suspect there is also at least some degree of distortion accompanying the increase in loudness you report.

The problem could be your HU Pioneer AVIC-D3 which has older technology and lacks the controls allowing transparent mating to some devices from other manufacturers.

Look at the latest generation of digital H/U’s from Alpine and Kenwood to solve the problem you are experiencing. The new digital H/U’s have a plethora of features that support balancing even the most non-compliant systems that stubbornly resist proper balancing and poor volume control.

--Spike
I doubt its that noticable but I will be replacing the HU later this mainly because I want a non DVD based nav.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Rubidium

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard a lot of good things about HERTZ speakers, I'm looking at getting some my self. I'm running the JL HD600/4 and was trying to figure out what Hertz speakers to get. How much did you pay for the HSK 165 if you don't mind.

I'm currently also running a JL HD750/1 mono block pushing 2x 8w7's. Yeah they hit hard and push hard but it's CLEAN, and I ****ing love it! I don't turn it up terribly loud, only to show that two 8's can still beat a pair of 12's. I would have loved an 8w6 but JL only makes the 8's in W3 and W7 (higher ended) and I listen to a lot of electronic music.

Last edited by Rubidium; 06-18-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:57 AM
revvenue

Weird question that doesn't make sense...
Old 06-18-2010, 02:45 PM
jamesdean

Originally Posted by Rubidium
I've heard a lot of good things about HERTZ speakers, I'm looking at getting some my self. I'm running the JL HD600/4 and was trying to figure out what Hertz speakers to get. How much did you pay for the HSK 165 if you don't mind.

I'm currently also running a JL HD750/1 mono block pushing 2x 8w7's. Yeah they hit hard and push hard but it's CLEAN, and I ****ing love it! I don't turn it up terribly loud, only to show that two 8's can still beat a pair of 12's. I would have loved an 8w6 but JL only makes the 8's in W3 and W7 (higher ended) and I listen to a lot of electronic music.
I got a killer deal on them,279.99 ...amp/sub/hertz came in under 780 which included tax ,pays to know people
Old 06-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ That is a great price for very good equipment!

--Spike
Old 06-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I ran a 10w 0 for 4 years with only ~125w rms feeding it.

The foam surround gave out on the trip back from ZdayZ last month, and I was thinking it might be a good time to upgrade. I have a 10w3 and a sweet old-school Kicker amp in my work vehicle. I even thought about talking my brother out of his ancient MMATS DC100HC amp and the brand-spanking-new-still-in-box 10w 6 that has been sitting in my garage for years.....

But I spend way more time in my work vehicle than the Z, and I really don't want to pull new (thicker) power cable...(I tell myself I'm saving weight too)

Even though I think 4 years isn't a bad run for the w0, I think I'm just going to upgrade to the w1 (with the rubber surround) and power it with the same 125 watts.

OP, nice setup BTW.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:22 PM
duro78

Theres no possible way people are hearing you blocks away with a sealed w3 not even remotely close. Just like hp or anything else you satisfied for a while then its just not enough. A w3 is more of a entry level sq driver not really made for spl.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Boba

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
stock is enough for me,, just gotta get something to plug my iphone into thats all
Same, stock serves me beyond well. The bass is good too. You guys are too picky with the sound quality
Old 06-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP really needs to spend alot more time researching...your answers elude to the fact that you've done some research but you either listened to people who didn't know fully what they were talking about, or you didn't fully grasp the concepts being discussed. Not a knock on you at all btw, just understand that in this section, you have a few people who are extremely knowledgeable about all things audio related
Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 AM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
OP really needs to spend alot more time researching...your answers elude to the fact that you've done some research but you either listened to people who didn't know fully what they were talking about, or you didn't fully grasp the concepts being discussed. Not a knock on you at all btw, just understand that in this section, you have a few people who are extremely knowledgeable about all things audio related
Amen.
Sound Quality is a very serious subject for me because hey, its literally my entire life rolled up into one thing! 'turning the gain up all the way' is not really a good idea. After a certain point you will be experiencing distortion. The fact that you cannot hear it indicates that you may be an inexperienced listener. DON'T WORRY! Most people are inexperienced when it comes to listening to audio equipment - thats what audiophiles are for. I think you should have your system tuned by an IASCA certified installer. Yes, I know I know....most people would say they don't have time or that or 'Bah...its good enough for me' but when you buy nice equipment, don't you want to get the absolute best out of it? I know that I would. I'm not trying to pick on you, I am trying to defend my profession.

The D3 is a decent deck but the main drawback is that its got a 2 volt pre-out. Running something with a 4 volt+ pre-output will give your amplifier a better signal therefore upgrading your sound quality instantly. Yes it will be 'louder' too but SQ is what you should be after. I really like the new Pioneer AVIC-X920 or Z120 as the menus are super easy, the Navi is beautiful and the sound quality is top notch.