Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Tricky situation....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Kyle R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tricky situation....

On Saturday, I had my amp and subwoofers installed at a local car audio shop. I decided to have it installed there because I have had several friends get their systems installed there and were satisfied. After the install, one of the installers gave me a demo on the subwoofers ect. Then he says "did you blow out your passenger door speaker?" I told him, "no it was working fine when I dropped the car off." He told me to come back on monday to have a look at the wiring because he thinks its just a loose wire. He wasn't going to look at it then because the store had already closed and the installer that had actually put it in had left. I brought the car back today and after looking at it for about half an hour he said I might need a new $10 harness because every time he moves the wires on the harness, the sound comes in and out of the passenger door speaker. He told me to wait a little longer until he made sure that that was the exact problem. Ten minutes later he tells me "your radio is done" I asked what do you mean by "done"? He said that the ports on the back of the radio that give power to the door speakers are defective... But didn't you just say that when you twisted the wires that the sound would come in and out of the door speaker? Then he immediately says "I can sell you a new deck with install for $150 though" I told him that the radio worked perfectly before I brought it in, so this must have been something caused by the install team. Once again, he claims that whether or not it was working when I brought it in, I need a new radio. I don't have a warranty on my radio, and am trying to figure out the best way to resolve this situation. Has this ever happened to anyone?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM
godzilla619

Never happened to me, but it does sound like they are trying to rip you off. Start by taking your car to another stereo shop. Or you can check the condition of your stereo with a wiring diagram of the headunit and multimeter. Mutimeter is $10.00 and the diagram you can find online. A stock replacement HU can be found on this site for around $75.00. My guess is that they tapped into the door speaker lines to install the amp, which is why the door speakers cut out. Your best off going toqualified stereo shop and have them look your set up over.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Kyle R

Originally Posted by godzilla619
Never happened to me, but it does sound like they are trying to rip you off. Start by taking your car to another stereo shop. Or you can check the condition of your stereo with a wiring diagram of the headunit and multimeter. Mutimeter is $10.00 and the diagram you can find online. A stock replacement HU can be found on this site for around $75.00. My guess is that they tapped into the door speaker lines to install the amp, which is why the door speakers cut out. Your best off going toqualified stereo shop and have them look your set up over.
I just checked in with another shop and they told me to go back to the original shop and tell them that it was indeed a problem they caused and to have them fix it. He said that it looks like they were not careful when they installed it and bent one of the output ports. Long story short, I just went back to the shop, told them that one of the output ports looks bent, and they said they would fix it. I'm going back tomorrow to have them take the radio out and fix/re sauder whats bent/dry.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 PM
NewJoyZ

Not an uncommon problem. Most highway install shops just hire clowns that know a whole lot of nothing about a lot of things.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Augustus46

He's looking to score some more $ off you bro. I would throw a fit if they don't fix it for you.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Kyle R

Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic
He is screwing you man Either he just loosened a wire and nothing is wrong or he actually damaged something in the head unit.
I had a friend look at it yesterday, and the gray wire that plugs into the back of the radio was unplugged. The gray wire in the harness controls the right door speaker..... Plugged it back into the dash an the problem was solved... 30 second fix.....
Old 07-27-2010, 05:10 PM
DBTre50z

Originally Posted by Kyle R
I had a friend look at it yesterday, and the gray wire that plugs into the back of the radio was unplugged. The gray wire in the harness controls the right door speaker..... Plugged it back into the dash an the problem was solved... 30 second fix.....
Wow isnt that a kick in the junk. Sometimes you cant rely on a shop to do a job right and honest. Its a good thing you took the time to diagnose the problem.