Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 09:35 AM
lascala26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two Eclipse amps running off of my Bose HU now. There is a total of 7 channels. How many of these will I need? 2?

Thanks for the web address!
Old 11-26-2003, 02:08 PM
grutter

It depends on how you have it hooked up. I would purchase only one.

The pd4 has a 4 channel output, and the BOSE HU has only a 4 channel output (which becomes the input to the PD4)

So rather than spend a lot of money on a second LOC, why not just use an RCA Y adapter on the output of the PD4 to feed the second amp ?

You should have independent gain controls for each channel on your amps, so you should still be able to balance your system.

I have two amps, a 4 channel and a monoblock. I use the front channels for the doors and tweets, and the rear channel for the rears. I use the pass-thru from the first amp to feed the second (sub) amp.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:05 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up This IS interesting for sure!

Grutter,

It's quite obvious that you have successfully solved the illusive audio dilemma of integrating the 350Z Touring OEM Bose HU with the some impressive complimentary aftermarket speakers. I certainly commend for that monumental accomplishment. I had emailed L. Rich regarding the purchase of their AudioLink LOC device and other items - but I have yet to hear from that source.

I have recently purchased a BassLink X for the low end and I will soon buy the appropriate speakers for the front and rear installations. Could you clue me in on a recommendation for any other electronic items that will be required to complete a successful install?

I'll be enjoying two whole weeks off next month (December) and that I think it would be enough time to get the Audio install completed without any of my typical interruptions.

I'm thinking that I'll need the 'PD4' (plus the harness) to support the powered BassLink X and also another amp to power the speakers. Am I missing an important item here?

Thanks for your sharing your experience with this very enlightening helpful audio post.

Frank

'03 350Z - Silverstone - Touring - 6spd MT
Build Date: 05/03
Side Air Bag Curtains
JDM Interior Foot Well Lights
NISMO Seatbelt Pads
350Z Grounding Kit
Aluminum Billet Dip Stick
NISMO Oil Filler & Radiator Caps
Colgan Side Mirror Bras
Colgan 2 Piece Nose Bra (necessary)*
Nissan OEM Aero Package
Chrome Front Grille w/Amber LED Directionals
LED Amber Sidemarkers (StrictlyZ)
LED Amber "Z" Fender Emblems
Courtesy Parts "Z" Center Wheel Caps
Courtesy Parts "Z" Wheel Locks
Courtesy Parts "Z" Valve Stem Caps
Carbon Fiber "Z" Front & Rear Emblems (Reen)
350Z Rear License Plate Frame
JDM Altezza Antenna - "Shorty"
Front Zee-Bracket License Plate Holder
Bose Stereo with 28060-CE400 Amp!!! (TBD)
Old 11-26-2003, 05:33 PM
grutter

Default Re: This IS interesting for sure!

Originally posted by frankmusic

I have recently purchased a BassLink X for the low end and I will soon buy the appropriate speakers for the front and rear installations. Could you clue me in on a recommendation for any other electronic items that will be required to complete a successful install?
Frank,
Once you eliminate all the BOSE components except for the HU, you'll only need the PD4 output converter, RCA cables, your selection of amps and speakers.

Speakers are a matter of the listeners preference, so I'd rather not make specific speaker brand recommendations. All I can say is to be aware that the acousics of a vehicle are absolutely nothing like store displays.

6.5" should fit perfectly for rears. Doors will require spacers to clear windows. Some threads suggest using the BOSE speaker housings as spacers.. I made custom from MDF for better fit.

The only recommendation I would make regarding speaker choice is to go with 2-ways for the rear, and components for the fronts. I went with 2-ways all around, plus kenwood tweeters in the factory locations. It's a bit on the bright side (I essentially have 2 tweeters in each door), which is why I would recommend a different setup than what I installed.

Good luck with your install. Please post your results.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:09 PM
frankmusic

Thumbs up Thanks grutter!

Yes Indeedy..........

Thanks for your much appreciated 'sound' advice. Since I will have sufficient time, I may snap a few color pics of the disassembly, mounting, connection and reassembly process for the eventual (this was my adventure) post.

However, I just can't wait to hear the much anticipated transformation.
Woooo Hoooo!

Frank

Side Air Bag Curtains
NISMO Seatbelt Pads
350Z Grounding Kit - by z327
Aluminum Billet Dip Stick - by z327
Colgan Side Mirror Bras
Nissan 350Z OEM Aero Package
LED Amber "Z" Fender Emblems - by z327
Bose Stereo with 28060-CE400 Amp!!! (TBD)
Old 11-26-2003, 10:04 PM
murrman100

grutter. What do you prefer in cables?
Do you like Monster or what? I used Monsters but they were a little expensive. No noise at all.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:52 AM
grutter

Originally posted by murrman100
What do you prefer in cables?
I used Stinger Bullet Series.
Bought online from www.darvex.com
They also carry Monster, if that's your preference.
Both are quality cables. The key to noise reduction is to get a twisted pair, shielded cable.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:15 AM
frankmusic

Exclamation A Drawing

grutter,

Does this image look something like your current set-up?

Attached Thumbnails Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?-audiolayoutc1.gif  
Old 11-27-2003, 01:09 PM
grutter

Default Re: A Drawing

Does this image look something like your current set-up?
Close....

It looks like you're depicting the Audiolink with 6 channels (Unless you've got a Y connector in there somewhere)

The AudioLink is a 4 channel interface. I have a single 4 channel amp for the front and rear speakers, where you are showing two separate amps. That's a matter of personal preference... it will work either way.

The problem is then to determine the signal source for the BassLink. I use the pre-amp outputs on the JL 4-channel amp to feed the monoblock sub amp.

The problem with the Y adapter approach (in my opinion) is that you have to pick which channels you want to use to feed the bass amp, and then you'll have a tendency to adjust your fader to boost the volume on those channels to adjust bass output. The problem is that also changes the soundstage. The Z sounds best with a soundstage slightly to the front. In hooking it up the way I did, I could sum channels 1-4 to feed the second bass amp, so I can increase/decrease volume, or adjust fader, without affecting sub output.

I also have an external bass-boost control (wired to the small storage enclosure in the console) to control bass gain 0-12db.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:59 PM
frankmusic

Post Back to the drawing board, I will go!

Ugh! I guess my diagram is more than a bit confusing. (....and incorrect - LOL)

Questions:

(1). If the signal comes from the BOSE HU - > then travels to the LOC to then deliver the proper signal to the 4 new speakers (while maintaining the front and rear fade capabilities).............Where will the 200W powered subwoofer (BassLink) receive its audio signal?

(2). What method did you employ to successfully get all of these supporting items to properly power on simultaneously?

Thanks again for allowing me to pick your brain.

Old 11-27-2003, 04:33 PM
grutter

Default Re: Back to the drawing board, I will go!

Ugh! I guess my diagram is more than a bit confusing. (....and incorrect - LOL)

Questions:

(1). If the signal comes from the BOSE HU - > then travels to the LOC to then deliver the proper signal to the 4 new speakers (while maintaining the front and rear fade capabilities).............Where will the 200W powered subwoofer (BassLink) receive its audio signal?

(2). What method did you employ to successfully get all of these supporting items to properly power on simultaneously?

Thanks again for allowing me to pick your brain.

My picture isn't as pretty as yours... but should answer your questions.

1. Audio signal for BassLink would come from the LineOut of your speaker amps. If you use a 4-channel amp, you should be able to "sum" the outputs of the other 4 channels.

2. AudioLink has an AMP ON output (not shown on my drawing). Wire to each amp in your system. It also provides a delay to insure that you don't get a POP from your amps.
Attached Thumbnails Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?-audio-install.jpg  
Old 11-27-2003, 05:07 PM
frankmusic

Lightbulb I Seeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Aww, shucks...........Forget pretty...............

Your image may not be (as you might say) pretty - But it certainly DOES visually and 'accurately' illustrate the CORRECT path for one to take for this install. ...........Yup.......It's time to order some of those items for my December installation!! Wooo-Hooo!

THANK YOU! - THANK YOU! - THANK YOU! - THANK YOU!

Side Air Bag Curtains
NISMO Seatbelt Pads
350Z Grounding Kit - by z327
Aluminum Billet Dip Stick - by z327
Colgan Side Mirror Bras
Nissan 350Z OEM Aero Package
LED Amber "Z" Fender Emblems - by z327
Bose Stereo with 28060-CE400 Amp!!!***
***(soon to be properly modified!)
Old 11-28-2003, 06:07 PM
MySunset350Z

so let me get this straight before i put any money on it.

a quick review...i have a system from my last car....2 12inch vega subs rockford fostgate 800a amp and a panasonic head unit which cost me $500, but its a single unit and ill have the ugly gap (cd tray) if i instal it.

so your saying...i can keep the stock head unit, buy this thing your talking about and be able to use my aftermarket amp, and subs and still have the stock bose system funtioning like its supposed to?
Old 11-28-2003, 07:42 PM
grutter

Originally posted by MySunset350Z
so let me get this straight before i put any money on it.

a quick review...i have a system from my last car....2 12inch vega subs rockford fostgate 800a amp and a panasonic head unit which cost me $500, but its a single unit and ill have the ugly gap (cd tray) if i instal it.

so your saying...i can keep the stock head unit, buy this thing your talking about and be able to use my aftermarket amp, and subs and still have the stock bose system funtioning like its supposed to?
You got it.

I was skeptical at first that this would work as advertised, much less sound good. I talked to Larry Rich 800-858-2541 and he even agreed to take it back if I wasn't satisfied.

You have an advantage that I didn't.... in that you have a decent aftermarket HU to test with. So I would install all new speakers and your amps (you need to do this anyway), and plug in the AudioLink Interface and test with the factory HU. Then power up your Panasonic HU and test. If you like the panasonic sound, then live with the single DIN + tray.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:48 PM
grutter

Note to all..

I live in the Charlotte NC area. If anyone in the area would like to listen to my setup prior to attempting this.. I will try to accomodate. PM me.

What's nice about this setup is that if in the future you decide to change your HU, the only piece of the entire system that is not re-useable is the AudioLink interface.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:31 AM
frankmusic

Thumbs up Agreed!

YES!!!

That's the great thing about going down the path of retaining the OEM in-dash 6 CD factory HU. If ever at a later date you decide to swap out the BOSE Unit for an aftermarket HU - The rest of the necessary labor for that install will already have been completed!

If I lived closer to grutter, I would have gladly made an appointment to hear that demo for sure. Imagine listening to audio that actually sounds great emanating from the identical BOSE HU unit that resides in all the current Touring vehicles.

There IS a way to remedy the problem! YUP!

Old 11-29-2003, 07:14 AM
grutter

Related to RCA cables, please see my thread

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=51679
Old 12-01-2003, 06:28 PM
grutter

Updated email address for Larry Rich
"Larry Rich" <lrich@arelectronics.com>

He sent out an email that if you sent him an email over the last few days... you will need to resend using above address.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:00 PM
doodoostain

grutter,
how many inputs is the audiolink capable of receiving? is it possible to connect another input into the audiolink, i.e. a dvd player or in car pc? if not, do you have any suggestions in this regard?
Old 12-19-2003, 06:11 PM
grutter

Originally posted by doodoostain
grutter,
how many inputs is the audiolink capable of receiving? is it possible to connect another input into the audiolink, i.e. a dvd player or in car pc? if not, do you have any suggestions in this regard?
The audiolink has 4 channels in and out. Typically you would hook it up for FL, FR, RL, RR to feed your amps. Any other way and you'd lose the fade and balance control from the HU.

I think what you're looking for is aux inputs. I would probably either buy a tape adapter (approx $10), or connect directly to the tape head input (would require opening the HU, but would be totally stealth). That way you would just push the otherwise useless tape button for AUX in, CD, or FM. Should be a simple mod.

Quick Reply: Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?