Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 07:17 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tape

Originally posted by grutter
The audiolink has 4 channels in and out. Typically you would hook it up for FL, FR, RL, RR to feed your amps. Any other way and you'd lose the fade and balance control from the HU.

I think what you're looking for is aux inputs. I would probably either buy a tape adapter (approx $10), or connect directly to the tape head input (would require opening the HU, but would be totally stealth). That way you would just push the otherwise useless tape button for AUX in, CD, or FM. Should be a simple mod.
If you splice in to the tape circuit you will need to do some level matching. You would also have to fool the deck in to thinking it has a tape in it.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:56 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile A Suggestion.

This is how I installed my Audio Upgrade over the Holidays!

Attached Thumbnails Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?-350install1.gif  
Old 01-01-2004, 02:02 PM
frankmusic

Default another pic

I bolted the 4 BassLink legs to the metal top of the stock sub location.
Attached Thumbnails Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?-basslink.jpg  
Old 01-01-2004, 05:29 PM
BriA5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a review... How difficult was the install? What do you think of the results?
Old 01-01-2004, 06:52 PM
frankmusic

Lightbulb A brief reveiw.

I can honestly state that the final results of my efforts are truly rewarding. I wanted to sufficiently upgrade the audio system - BUT - retain the BOSE Head Unit. Despite what you might have read in the past, the OEM HU isn't really too bad at all. Unfortunately, it's NOT the BOSE HU that needs to be tossed. It's the BOSE impotent power amps that are the main culprits. They just cannot deliver any significant punch to your favorite tunes. If you like hearing ALL of those frequencies pushed through your speakers (and who doesn't?) - then you MUST upgrade the power amps and a perform the speaker replacement process to complete your upgrade.

Is it difficult? VERY!! Why? Here are some of the reasons.
First of all, if you have never done a car audio install before - go out and get a pro to do it for you. You should be prepared to fork over some bucks for it though. The job is very labor intensive. There are more interior panels to remove than you'd ever expect. For reference, I utilized some of the great pics that have been posted on the numerous forums and the 350Z factory service manual. That's just how it is with almost any other item you want to install in or on the 350Z. There are a number of individuals on the forum who have upgraded their system with fantastic results. However, I will not kid you here - THIS job cannot be completed overnight by any means. Be prepared to have ALL the necessary parts and tools for you to conduct a successful install or your car could be idle for more days than you had originally anticipated.

Because the install takes many hours, you might want to consider doing this task after you have yourself of some days off from work with the weekend added on for extra security. You'll never know what problems you might run into. Perhaps another pair of knowledgeable hands (don't invite any clumsy friends) will help expedite you much desired install. (ex: Your pal can be removing the battery cover under the hood - and - snaking the power lead through the firewall, while you work in the very tight quarters of the Z interior, etc.)

My installation went very well. However, as I had mentioned earlier - this job will take you quite a while to complete. I decided to keep the BOSE head unit - I then connected it to the AudioLink LOC which was specifically designed for this particular operation. http://www.linkmeup.com/ You'll also need to purchase the CableLink harness and then the Audiolink becomes a basic a 'plug and play' type of install. (just ask for Larry Rich, he's da man with that necessary LOC - 800-858-2541)

If anybody has any questions regarding a specific task - such as: installing the door speakers, installing the rear speakers, installing the BassLink, the AudioLink LOC or any other task regarding your attempts to upgrade your audio system.... I WILL do my best to relay to you all of the relevant installation tips. (I also have a bunch of pics that illustrate the 'labor of love' event)

Good Luck to you.

Old 01-01-2004, 08:04 PM
frankmusic

Angry A Reason to Upgrade.

Here's a piece of the electronic junk that you'll find integrated with your original BOSE system AND that you will gladly toss in the rectangular file.
Attached Thumbnails Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?-subampjunk.jpg  
Old 01-02-2004, 03:56 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BassLink - Amps

Can you post some details and/or pics on what you learned about mounting the Basslink in the stock location?

Also, where did you put your amps?

thanks.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:07 AM
grutter

Default Re: A brief reveiw.

Originally posted by frankmusic
I can honestly state that the final results of my efforts are truly rewarding. I wanted to sufficiently upgrade the audio system - BUT - retain the BOSE Head Unit. Despite what you might have read in the past, the OEM HU isn't really too bad at all........
Glad you finally got it installed and like the results.

It took me two weeks to put my system in, working on it after work and weekends, but the car was always drivable.... minus a few interior panels, a passenger seat, door panels....

I did the job in pieces... first removing all of the rear panels (hatch area) and dynamatting, then removal of the panels for the rear speakers, then the doors etc. so the car was always drivable.

This job IS something that most people can do.... and save some significant money for other mods. But you are correct in that this isn't something you should expect to finish in a day or two.

Thanks for posting your results.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:28 AM
frankmusic

Smile Power Amp Location

Here's where I decided to run the wires for the power amp.
Attached Thumbnails Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?-ampwires.jpg  
Old 01-02-2004, 06:31 AM
frankmusic

Thumbs up Amp in cubby space.

Here's the power amp in place.
Attached Thumbnails Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?-4chnamp1.jpg  
Old 01-02-2004, 06:44 AM
frankmusic

Exclamation Dash

Although the car IS somewhat driveable.....I chose to drive my other vehicle while the 'Z' was undergoing the necessary audio transformation process.

*Hey grutter, the Velcro idea works great! THANKS!

Attached Thumbnails Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?-dash-hole.jpg  
Old 01-02-2004, 07:00 AM
frankmusic

Exclamation REMOVE these brackets!

Before you even think about suspending your new Basslink.... you MUST remove these brackets. They DO NOT serve any useful puropse in the US production Z. (like your appendix) However, these brackets can be removed by drilling directly on their factory spot welds.

Attached Thumbnails Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?-removebracket.jpg  
Old 01-02-2004, 03:03 PM
frankmusic

Smile Crank It!

Here on the center console you will see the only visible sign of an audio upgrade. YESSSS!!! Infinity had supplied a remote Bass control **** with the BassLink X model. You will have to modify the inside of the blank Nissan switch plate a bit. (but the benefits are well worth the effort) While the Infinity BassLink will be well hidden behind the BOSE stock subwoofer grille, you can still adjust the amount of Bass to your favorite CDs. Obviously, there are many types of recorded music that may need your personal tweak here and there. You will always be in (bass) control of what you are currently playing. (or adjust the bass level to your attitude) .............or.......... Whatever.

The rest of it will be pure ear candy.

Attached Thumbnails Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?-zbasscontrol.jpg  
Old 01-08-2004, 03:14 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default The other way?

Great thread, but what if I am going the other way. I am swapping out the BOSE HU and replacing it with a Clarion VRX935VD and keeping the BOSE amp(s?) and speakers. I was wondering about what LOC's are available for going that route? Anyone know?

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-08-2004, 07:08 PM
grutter

Default Re: The other way?

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Great thread, but what if I am going the other way. I am swapping out the BOSE HU and replacing it with a Clarion VRX935VD and keeping the BOSE amp(s?) and speakers. I was wondering about what LOC's are available for going that route? Anyone know?

-Chrismcagle
The same AudioLink PD4 will allow you to do that.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:58 AM
TtOrMaMnY

man.. this is a GREAT GREAT thread. I wish someone could do a step by step right up with pictures the next time you do this.. This way this could help newbs like me do it. Im willing to pay for the write up!
Old 07-10-2004, 05:03 AM
frankmusic

Cool Re: Re: A brief reveiw.

Glad you finally got it installed and like the results.

It took me two weeks to put my system in, working on it after work and weekends, ............ I did the job in pieces ......
This job IS something that most people can do.... and save some significant money for other mods. But you are correct in that this isn't something you should expect to finish in a day or two.

Thanks for posting your results.
hey grutter!!

Also, some members have expressed some concerns regarding the location of the bass remote control **** that I chose. I like having quick access to it whenever it needs a bit of tweaking. It can be mounted elsewhere [on dash?] as well.

However, it does not cause any inconvenience for me in any way. The protrusion is very slight. Here are some photo examples.
Attached Thumbnails Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?-littleknobab.jpg  
Old 07-10-2004, 06:27 AM
grutter

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TtOrMaMnY
man.. this is a GREAT GREAT thread. I wish someone could do a step by step right up with pictures the next time you do this.. This way this could help newbs like me do it. Im willing to pay for the write up! [/QUOTE

Thanks. I think you'll find about anything you'll need here in this forum. If not, ask.

Search through the forum and you'll find some great threads covering the installations... everything from running the power / ground wiring, dynamat, door spacers, etc.

Good luck !
Old 07-10-2004, 06:32 AM
grutter

Default Re: Re: Re: A brief reveiw.

Originally posted by frankmusic
hey grutter!!

Also, some members have expressed some concerns regarding the location of the bass remote control **** that I chose. I like having quick access to it whenever it needs a bit of tweaking. It can be mounted elsewhere [on dash?] as well.

However, it does not cause any inconvenience for me in any way. The protrusion is very slight. Here are some photo examples.
Frankmusic... it's been awhile !
Still satisfied with the audio install ?
I put my bass-boost control inside the center console storage box. Totally stealth. I very seldom adjust it. After you have it all the way up, no need to tweak it anymore <grin>
Old 07-10-2004, 06:53 AM
frankmusic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: A brief reveiw.

Frankmusic... it's been awhile !
Still satisfied with the audio install ?
I put my bass-boost control inside the center console storage box. Totally stealth. I very seldom adjust it. After you have it all the way up, no need to tweak it anymore <grin>
YES .......... STILL extremely satisfied! Again, MUCH THANKS for all your assistance.

I find myself using the control **** for a tweak or two depending upon what type of music that I am currently playing. I find that some CD recordings have more (or less) bass than others. When one disc has completed, the following disc may require this slight adjustment. Hence, there in lies the occasional tweak.

However, having cranked it to the max may solve the issue of needing to play with that ****.

......... but playing is FUN too.

Quick Reply: Bose Line Output converters - anyone ever used em?