Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Anyone installed a kenwood DNX-9960 in their 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Linuxglobal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone installed a kenwood DNX-9960 in their 350z?

hi Guys

i have an avic d3 in my 350z right now and its a good unit but i find some little issues here an there with the unit.

Im debating to get the kenwood DNX-9960 since its the flagship unit they offer.

Features are exceptional and really neat but it looks a little tacky as a unit from the pics.

I would just like some user info from owners. I saw one installed in a 370Z and im not too impressed, it looks like it sticks out more than i would like. Perhaps its an installer flaw in that specific example?

I was also wondering if anyone has managed to get a double din unit in the top cubby with an 06+ bezel. I have a neat idea for a new nav setup but i may just be crazy and it may be too big. I was planning to have the kenwood in the top cubby as a screen and the stock stereo down below feeding into the kenwood via audio inputs.

The stock unit will allow the 6cd changer to be used and it will nicely fill the area allowing the cubby to look as factory as possible with a double din Just an idea from the back burner.

Installed in 370Z

Link to unit pics
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...DNX-9960-.html

Here are my comparisons between the two units before i make the purchase

Avic D3
Pros:
- Looks flush in 350z interior, relatively flat install
- basic functions, bluetooth, handsfree, video, ipod
- 3.5mm jack on the front of unit

Cons
- navi is difficult to work with
- screen response is pretty laggy
- user GUI relatively basic
- navi requires dvds
- no usb inputs
- issues with iphone phonebook

Kenwood DNX-9960
Pros:
- 2x usb inputs
- voice control
- garmin based navigation is very user friend with lifetime traffic subscription
- ipod usb control and music art menu
- fully iphone compatible + phonebook
- bigger screen
- better resolution
- split screen navi feature

Cons
- no volume ****
- no front 3.5mm jack
- bottom buttons not very practical (too small)
- poor bottom design (appears to stick out) not 100% flat
- tilting screen to insert discs can be a failing item down the road

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Linuxglobal; 09-30-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Moved to proper forum
Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the sticking out is the installer either rushing in the fitment or the customer wanting it that way and the installer do what the customer wanted

look at the specs on the avic d3 and the specs on the kenwood and compare exterior dimensions espeically the depth of each unit if they are the same or if the kenwood in less depth than they can be mounted flush and not sticking out

if the kenwood depth is a bit bigger than it very well may not be able to be mounted flush

my guess is it can be mounted flush

i don't like pioneer at all due to epic fail on the pico fuses

i say get the kenwood
Old 10-01-2010, 10:56 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The Kenwood doesn't really mount flush, at least not with standard install and kits. Since the screen is tiltable, it's hard to make something flush that's not on the same plane as the front of the unit anyway.

I second the recommendation to get the Kenwood anyway. I never use CDs anymore, I use nothing but USB drives for my music. The only buttons I ever use are the volume buttons and they are right at the bottom left corner - never even have to look at the HU to find them.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 10-01-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 AM
06g35meister

i have the dnx9140 (the unit previous to the 9960) and it fits flush as h-e-double hockey sticks. I love it. Kenwood has by far better audio than pioneer, but the pioneer interface "MIGHT* have an easier to use interface, but i cant verify that.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Linuxglobal

Originally Posted by 06g35meister
i have the dnx9140 (the unit previous to the 9960) and it fits flush as h-e-double hockey sticks. I love it. Kenwood has by far better audio than pioneer, but the pioneer interface "MIGHT* have an easier to use interface, but i cant verify that.
the pioneer GUI is a bit friendlier on the new units but the nav is terrible.

I prefer the garmin navi and the 9960 has a lifetime traffic subscription. Someone noted that apparently they have advertising ads on the unit to pay for the traffic which sounds awful but do-able.

Do you by any chance have any pics of your 9140 installed? Is it in the stock hu position?

Are you using any converter modules for the audio signal like PAC-ROEM-NIS2? I have that for my factory bose speakers on my touring Z.

Cheers
C
Old 10-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Linuxglobal

the specs look identical in terms of actual unit dimensions.

The only difference i saw from the high resolution side pics is that the kenwood tilts so the screen appear to stick out simply because the unit is on and tilted. Our interiors are different so tilting may not even be needed in the 350z.

Ive been pondering the idea to retrofit just the screen part into the cubby area as mentioned above and have the unit behind the driver or passenger seat in a compartment. DVD tray would still be accessible, im just trying to work out the ideas.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the oem bezel piece? Im hoping to get the bottom buttons of the screen in as well

I think in the end I will go with the Kenwood, ive seen a lot of good reviews for it. A friend of mine wants my D3 so at least i can use some cash for the upgrade.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:12 AM
FreeBaGeL

Did you ever end up getting the Kenwood? I'd be interested in pics of the install if you did, as I'm considering getting the same unit.