Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Vibrating Panel when Bass Hits

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010 | 07:28 AM
The Dude

Default Vibrating Panel when Bass Hits

Not sure which forum I should post this thread in “interior or audio” so I’ll let the Mod move it.
I’ve got a vibration in between Luggage floor finisher upper (front) and Luggage floor finisher lower when the bass hits hard at the right frequency. It’s Quit annoying.
I don’t want to take the finishers out because of all the panels that have to come off first just to get to them. Even if I do get them out what can I really do to stop the vibration once they’re out? And taking out all the pieces just to get these panels out, I take the chance of scratching the clear coat finish on one of the panels.
So my thought was to spray expanding foam up under the lower finisher keeping pressure on the finisher until the foam hardened. I was thinking of removing the center console and inserting the foams tube up under the finisher.
See pic
What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Vibrating Panel when Bass Hits-rear-for-web.jpg  
Old 10-02-2010 | 07:31 AM
xzotklr

Maybe you could....turn down the bass????
Old 10-02-2010 | 07:33 AM
davidv

Isn't that the objective? Shake the car with the bass?
Old 10-02-2010 | 07:39 AM
The Dude

Originally Posted by xzotklr
Maybe you could....turn down the bass????
Better yet. Maybe I could put a couple D size batteries in my transistor radio. Then my system could sound like yours.
Old 10-02-2010 | 08:53 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Default foam..

dont use the foam.. its a nightmare of a mess.. and it expands WAAAAAAAAY more than youthink, and its NOT controllable.. i promise you.. promise you. I know you dont want to remove the panels, but whens the last th8ing you did something the fast way and had it work out well?

pull ur panels.. think of any other work u need to do while in there, put a few beads of silicone sealant on the surface behind the panel and reassemble.

maybe its a good time to buff and re polish ur carbon parts while out.. dunno.. just a thot.

but dont use foam man.. its horribly nasty stuff and theres no removeing it later.. you coulod ruin your car.. what happens it it runs away and covers your fuel pump etc? Its all one big cavern in there. i know.. i did alot of stealth installing in there on my car.

hope i saved u from doing this to yourself.
Old 10-02-2010 | 10:26 AM
The Dude

Thanks for your input. I know you right, but to get that panel off, this is the list of parts I would have to remove.
All three amps and wires, Amp rack, both 10” subs, Luggage finisher lower (center), Luggage side finisher upper (LH/RH), Rear pillar finisher (LH/RH), Rear side finisher (LH/RH) Door welts, Kicking plate inner (LH/RH) and both seats.

That at least a full days work for the de-install and re-install. And that’s hopping I don’t scratch the surface of one of the panels. Because if I do, I have to take the damage panel or panels to my painter and have him attempt to buff the scratch out or re clear the piece.
OR I could take 30 min to shoot some foam up there and hope it tightens up the panel.
Again I know you’re right; removing everything is the best way to go about it. But I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons of each route.
If I did just a very small amount of foam (I don’t plan on going crazy with it), do you think it will tighten up the panel and stop the vibration. And no, I’m not trying to get the ok to do the foam, I just wondering if the foam would do the job if done correctly.
Thanks.
Old 10-02-2010 | 12:18 PM
350zspl
Banned

sorry to say before the install what i would have done and what i did to mine is

strip car from front to back and place stinger road kill or dynamat or second skin on floor from fire walls base inside the car straight back to were the car ends at rear cap and left to right

so basically deaden entire car

then again i build my car to get loud and compete in

no one really buys a 350z with this in mind
but when i was in the market for a new car because a lady fell asleep at the wheel and crash and destroyed my 96 impala ss now i was in the market for a car, and the car needed to be a candidate for an spl comp car , with gas over $3 dollars a gallon back in 2006 , and me needing a hatchback car , with a budget of $30 K the 350z was a good choice , plus i knew that by getting a small car like a 350z it would only allow for so much equipment that it would not get me in to much trouble system wise

short answer deaden everything take it all out deaden put it all back in
or live with the noise
Old 10-02-2010 | 02:16 PM
duro78

^Exactly, deaden or live with it thats your only options
Old 10-02-2010 | 02:56 PM
350zspl
Banned

bmcann101 makes a very good point think about someother mod or improvement that you can do to make while also addressing the deadning

so more like 1 weekend strip it down

next weekend re-install

who put all that thought and time in your install and did not contemplate deadner

really should be step one with any sound quality install

or any hi power multi-amp install

i am sorry that my answer is not what you want to here , and it involves the most work

but no way are you enjoying your systems full potential with the car making noises like that

when it is all said and done you will be way happier with it

i figure your looking at 3 each 36 square feet stinger roadkill bulk packs roughly 100 sq feet to do it right

in deadner will cost you $400-$500 shipped in material

you can upgrade as well upon re-intall on anything you want
Old 10-02-2010 | 07:04 PM
The Dude

Thanks for the advice.
I'm the one that did the install. I've done everything to this car myself. The only items I didn't do is the custom paint and the Italian leather on the dash and center console. I had the pros do those two things.

I did install Dynamat behind this panel as well as in each of the wells where the fuel pump is located.
Its not so much that the panel is vibrating, but with the wells completely sealed in Dynamat, the air is trying to escape, so its pushing this panel up and causing it to rub against the other panel that holds the 6.5's. I just need a way to keep this panel in place because the plastic clips that lock it down aren't doing the job, and I can't put a screw in it because it will be visible.
If I take all the panels off, what should I use to keep this panel from moving? Is caulk along the seam going to do the job, or am I going to have to use an adhesive?

Here's another pic.

Attached Thumbnails Vibrating Panel when Bass Hits-driver-rear.jpg  
Old 10-03-2010 | 12:04 PM
350zspl
Banned

you can try clear silicone behind the panel as it will not expand like foam, it is not permanent like foam, nor as messy

try clear silicone, remove the panel frame out the shape one inch from the edge all the way around and do an x from edge to edge and or corner to corner and if it does not work it will help and it is also very easy to remove

Last edited by 350zspl; 10-03-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2010 | 12:18 PM
Z_HighSpeed

that's a pretty sweet c/f custom setup
Old 10-03-2010 | 01:03 PM
The Dude

Originally Posted by Novesh
that's a pretty sweet c/f custom setup
Thanks.

It took a year and half to complete all the panels.