Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

would you trust someone on Craigslist to do audio work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 PM
ou8thisSN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would you trust someone on Craigslist to do audio work?

I want to have the stock bose subwoofer replaced with an Alpine 10" and amplifier I pulled from my '95 maxima before I sold it. I asked around in local shops and they quoted me anywhere from 150-250 to do the job.

So I posted an ad on craigslist, saying I was willing to pay 30 bucks for the labor, and pay for any parts. One guy immediately emailed me back saying he would do it, and that he's been an audio tech for 9 years.

Now I know 30 bucks isnt much but I figure if someone knew what they were doing, it would take about 2 hours to do the job, so 15/hour seemed fair to me. I know what needs to be done (run a ground, 12v trigger and power lead from the battery to the amp, connect the amp to the subwoofer, splice the subwoofer to the stock bose head unit using some kind of RCA/bare wire thing that i've seen people refer to in the past). What I dont know is how to pull up the carpet and other parts of my car to run the actual wire. Im too afraid of breaking some part of the interior in the process so thats really where I need the help (I cant find any decent pictures of anyone whose done an install like that who posted pictures).

I haven't spoken to the guy yet, so I have no clue if he's legit or not. Am I wrong about this? Or should I just wait, cough up the 150 (which i simply cant afford right now) and get it done at a proper shop? what would you do?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
cubs4worldseris

If the guy is deemed to be a legit, respectable guy once you physically talk to him; and if you trust him, then have if do it. If there is any doubt in your mind, I would cough up the $150 and have it done professionally for peace of mind and reliability. It's all in the eyes of the beholder, there is really no way for any of us to give you a solid answer given your personal situation.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Goo$e
Banned

Do it right the first time brah. Or regret it later.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 PM
ou8thisSN

thanks, i'll talk to him tomorrow on the phone, gauge his level of expertise and see if i want to proceed. I'll quiz him on what parts I need for the job. I already know what parts I will need, and if he gets it all them all correct, I'll get him to do the job.

btw... what is that thing called that converts the line output from the bose stock head unit to RCA inputs that will feed the Alpine amplifier?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

ask for references and pictures of work and feel it out.. :]
Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 PM
sdZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ou8thisSN
what is that thing called that converts the line output from the bose stock head unit to RCA inputs that will feed the Alpine amplifier?
-You just answered your own question... It's called a Line Output Converter

-Remember this... Car audio is not paid by the hour, it's paid by the job...

-Can you really trust a guy that you never met in your life not to break your panels? If he is only charging you $30, how will he pay for a panel if it infact does break?

-Be smart, go to a reputable shop that knows what they are doing and are insured... That is also one of the reasons why shops are a little more expensive... If you can't afford it now, then that is a sure sign meaning you should wait...

My 2 pennies...
Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 PM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by cubs4worldseris
If the guy is deemed to be a legit, respectable guy once you physically talk to him; and if you trust him, then have if do it. If there is any doubt in your mind, I would cough up the $150 and have it done professionally for peace of mind and reliability. It's all in the eyes of the beholder, there is really no way for any of us to give you a solid answer given your personal situation.
+1
Old 03-31-2011, 10:06 PM
ou8thisSN

I went to a legit shop when something in my transmission broke. They fixed it, and created an all new problem with the stereo system that they refuse to acknowledge. So in my view, its a 50/50 shot either way. I went the 'let the pros handle it' route, and got screwed.

Thanks for the idea about references and pictures of work, I'm not going to be hell bent on this guy doing this thing because its not that important and I love my car too much (just got it 6 months ago). Thank you all for the advice.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 PM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stay away if he says he had experience as a Best Buy installer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 PM
AngelsVQ

Originally Posted by *ICE*
stay away if he says he had experience as a Best Buy installer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol
Old 04-01-2011, 04:40 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$30 = fail

anyone who would do all that work for $30 correctly is a fool

and how can you guage how good he is , because if you could than you can do it yourself

i would steer clear

pay a shop that quoted $120 bite the bullet and have it done right

the saying you get what you pay for is usually the case

Last edited by 350zspl; 04-01-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 AM
rtiid22

While ur riping off the craigslist dude Ur still not saving much anyway.. power cable kit cost $100, the u need line output coverters, and $30 labor.. Ur at $150.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:52 AM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zspl
$30 = fail

anyone who would do all that work for $30 correctly is a fool
Agreed! I've got almost 10 years experience doing car audio, and i wouldn't touch that job for $30. I know what I'm doing, and I'm damn good at it; my time is worth significantly more than that.

I wouldn't put in a deck that takes me 20 minutes for $30.... Maybe for a good friend, but not for some random guy off the street.

Look at it this way, you can pay now, or you can pay later..

Pay to do it right the first time, or pay to get it fixed the second time.

I've made a lot of money fixing "DIY installs" that somebody got done for cheap.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:59 AM
shakuya88

Save the $30 and DIY it. It truely isn't hard and as long as you don't go hulk on your panels to get them off and take them off properly, you'll be fine.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:42 AM
ou8thisSN

Originally Posted by shakuya88
Save the $30 and DIY it. It truely isn't hard and as long as you don't go hulk on your panels to get them off and take them off properly, you'll be fine.
yeah, people here have sufficiently scared/convinced me not to get some random guy i dont know to do it. I know how to take apart the back panels where I'll mount the subwoofer and the amplifier.

my only question is how do you run the wires for power/ground to the battery?? those of you who know what you're doing, how did you learn what parts of the plastic/carpet "pull up" for you to hide the wires or where to drill the hole to run wires between the interior and the battery?

is there a resource for installers? can i buy that?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 AM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no. because he will come back and rob you!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:38 PM
KPierson_

It's a risk / reward situation. Is the risk of doing >$120 damage to your vehicle worth the reward of saving $120?

For $30 you can assume if he breaks something he is walking away so if he breaks over $120 then you will have lost money on the deal.

Back in the day when I was a pro installer I worked with several qualified installers who would work for virtually nothing just because they needed money and had no other options. Don't rule him out just because he is hard up for work. Ask him to walk you through the process and if he doesn't mention key concepts like "power wire through the firewall" or "fuse right at the battery" I would be concerned. You also mentioned a LOC - ask him how and where he is planning on splicing it in.

All that being said - I'm with the guys above. For $30 I wouldn't touch this - it simply isn't worth getting my tools out. Your estimate of 2 hours is, in my opinion, on the low side to do a quality job.