Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Gorden's 1,200RMS Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM
gordenZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorden's 1,200RMS Install

hello.

After 2 years of slowly buying equipment and having everything in boxes in my closet, I finally got everything installed. I still plan on doing speakers and maybe if space allows, voice coils (horns) and tweeters in the trunk.

My current set up is:

Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD head unit.
Metra Kit
Hifonics Brutus BXI1210D 1,200RMS Amp @ 1ohm load
2 RE SEX10 Subwoofers 600RMS each, 1,200RMS total
ZEnclosures fitted enclosure for strut bar.
and a Hand-me-Down 2 farad capacitor that is just there for ***** and giggles really.

Ever since I've discovered RE I said good bye to the overrated JL's.
I've been through a variety of subs, and I can say that I've never been happier with RE. Also a fan of their SRX series.

System knocks pretty hard for being in a fitted sealed box. My side mirrors shake a lot and my rear-view looks like it is ready to fall out.

With that, I also added a Viper 5901 2-way alarm with remote starter.

And tints.

Satisfied

I've been really impressed with clarion's 3-way speakers, and will most likely upgrade from the stock Bose ones as they crack at high volumes.

Was thinking of 4 Clarion 3-way SRQ1631R (55RMS each) for doors and back pillars.

Don't know how well they would fit. Any suggestion for speakers ?
Old 05-11-2011, 12:22 PM
chaparro78

You may need spacers or pods, I had Focal components in my doors but were thin enough so window would not hit on way down. Not a fan of 3ways. if you get a good set of compenents you won't need the rear speakers at all. They are in a bad location and fire right into rear seat.

Speaker suggestion will depend on your budget and if you will be running them off an amp or head unit.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:25 PM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks good

let me know when your windsheild wipers are jumping off the windsheild then you will be getting close to High Decibels

enjoy
Old 05-11-2011, 12:30 PM
ari_gold

nice system. I have just one RE SE10, they are awesome subs. Good choice!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:57 PM
gordenZ

Originally Posted by 350zspl
looks good

let me know when your windsheild wipers are jumping off the windsheild then you will be getting close to High Decibels

enjoy
They do, HEAVILY. Considering doing a RWW delete just for that reason. Had to do it on my GTI, wouldn't mind doing it for the Z.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:38 AM
gordenZ

Originally Posted by chaparro78
You may need spacers or pods, I had Focal components in my doors but were thin enough so window would not hit on way down. Not a fan of 3ways. if you get a good set of compenents you won't need the rear speakers at all. They are in a bad location and fire right into rear seat.

Speaker suggestion will depend on your budget and if you will be running them off an amp or head unit.
Whats the measurement of your focals, and how do you like it quality / loudness wise?

Is there a website / guide to measurements of the door for the 350z?

And budget is not an issue, I will have a separate amp to juice up the speakers.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:10 AM
chaparro78

Originally Posted by gordenZ
Whats the measurement of your focals, and how do you like it quality / loudness wise?

Is there a website / guide to measurements of the door for the 350z?

And budget is not an issue, I will have a separate amp to juice up the speakers.
I had the Focal K2Ps untill I blew one recently, but they were the best sounding speakers i ever heard. Quality is 2nd to none on top of the line Focals, but you would be paying top of the line $$$. The equivalent to the Focals I had are the 165 KRX2 and will run $1200. I had sponsorship on my car in 2004 when the system was installed so I didnt pay any where near that at the time. The trick to any component set is placement of the speakers. Focals run their tweets off axis, so those that owned Focals and had the tweets on axis, found them to be too bright. These speakers handle up to 200 watts and love to feel it, under poweing them does no justice to them. I could turn my radio up 80% and not hear distortion.

Like I said, I blew mine (think it as due to water in door) so I am in process of replacing them with Hertz Millie 165 6 1/2" in some door pods. Have heard them in a stereo shop owner's car and they sound great too. Untill I install them in my car though, I will wait to rate them.

Any system will sound as good as the weakest link. Using low quality cables will diminish the sound. Runing power cables along speaker cables may inject noise.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:11 PM
gordenZ

Originally Posted by chaparro78
I had the Focal K2Ps untill I blew one recently, but they were the best sounding speakers i ever heard. Quality is 2nd to none on top of the line Focals, but you would be paying top of the line $$$. The equivalent to the Focals I had are the 165 KRX2 and will run $1200. I had sponsorship on my car in 2004 when the system was installed so I didnt pay any where near that at the time. The trick to any component set is placement of the speakers. Focals run their tweets off axis, so those that owned Focals and had the tweets on axis, found them to be too bright. These speakers handle up to 200 watts and love to feel it, under poweing them does no justice to them. I could turn my radio up 80% and not hear distortion.

Like I said, I blew mine (think it as due to water in door) so I am in process of replacing them with Hertz Millie 165 6 1/2" in some door pods. Have heard them in a stereo shop owner's car and they sound great too. Untill I install them in my car though, I will wait to rate them.

Any system will sound as good as the weakest link. Using low quality cables will diminish the sound. Runing power cables along speaker cables may inject noise.
See I've never owned component speakers. Would the component tweeter came anywhere near to fitting behind the stock slot for the stock tweeters?

This might be a first to me.

And yes, always ran power on opposite side of speaker wires. Rule of thumb
Old 05-15-2011, 10:53 AM
chaparro78

Originally Posted by gordenZ
See I've never owned component speakers. Would the component tweeter came anywhere near to fitting behind the stock slot for the stock tweeters?

This might be a first to me.

And yes, always ran power on opposite side of speaker wires. Rule of thumb
Mine are in the stock location with a slight angle. I had to make the whole slightly larger to fit the Focal tweets, but only took a few minutes each
Attached Thumbnails Gorden's 1,200RMS Install-100_0095.jpg   Gorden's 1,200RMS Install-100_0105.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 06:22 PM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I love the sub choice, well done!

I've got a pair of 10" SRs in mine
Old 01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Simply_clean

Is that box sealed? Also did your dash come like that? It's like a carbon effect
Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Ak48z

So what they put the RE SE and RE SX into a single woofer now? I loved RE before they started going downhill around 2007-8