Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Subs gone..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 PM
sjmx22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs gone..

I just recently bought an 03' 350z, it had 1 previous owner who I'm assuming either didn't like the bass on the back of the seat or put his own sub in the trunk (there was a power wire running into the trunk under the carpet)

I took the plastic cover off to see if the sub was working because my music sounded like it lacked bass and I figured the sub died out.

Low and behold.. there's nothing behind the seat but a hole a bunch of plugs and this amplifer..

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...w-exterior.jpg

What the

That amplifer isn't stock right? I was under the assumption the stock bose amp. is under the center console, (i haven't taken it out to see if its still there though)

Now assuming that amplifer is garbage and not what came with the car, if I rip that amp out and screw an aftermarket sub back in.. will there be a problem?

Part of me thinks its not enclosed enough to really deal with a subwoofer.. but then my father was looking at it too and his logic is if a subwoofer was there it should function fine with another subwoofer in the same spot.

I'm inclined to agree with him, but am I missing something or can I just hook-up and screw in another subwoofer like nothing ever happened?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 PM
hugo350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just test the amp, buy a sub that is with in the amp's power range, call it a day. If you can't install it or have trouble with all the excess wires, go to a stereo installer.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM
sjmx22

I've installed sound systems before, so I'm good with the install, just really curious on what the plastic can take and if it'll sound like complete crap?

Does anyone know the specs on the factory subwoofer? So I know what won't rattle like a spray can?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Mike1082

There are many threads about installing an aftermarket sub in the stock location.
My personal opinion is don't do it, put the sub in the trunk... but that's just me.

Not sure of the specs on the OEM Bose sub, but I can tell you it is very un-impressive.
The quality of that Lil' Wonder amp is FAR beyond that of the Bose system.

If you go the route of just bolting a new sub in the stock location, with no enclosure behind it, you want to look into "infinite baffle" subwoofers, which are designed to run with no enclosure. These will not sound as good as a sub with a proper enclosure.
If you want to do it right, and keep it in the stock location, you will have to fabricate a custom enclosure to fit inside there.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:09 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike1082
If you go the route of just bolting a new sub in the stock location, with no enclosure behind it, you want to look into "infinite baffle" subwoofers, which are designed to run with no enclosure. These will not sound as good as a sub with a proper enclosure.
Don't even try an infinite baffle (or "free air") subwoofer in the stock location. It will NOT work. I've tried, and tried and tried. Either shove an Infinity Basslink in there, or go back to stock. The much better solution is to dump the Bose system completely (rip the entire thing out) and start fresh with a nice aftermarket set-up. If that's not realistic, then go back to stock with some used gear.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Mike1082

^ what he said.

I have heard free air subs that sounded OK at best... But never in a Z. I just wanted to point out that not all speakers are created equal, and not just any sub will work in that type of application.