Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Which amp do you feel would sound the best?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Stinger1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which amp do you feel would sound the best?

Needing expert advise here. I have purchased Focal 165k polykevlar componants for the front and Focal 165 CA for the rears. Now comes the Amp to power them. I am interested in the following two amps below. What will give me the best sound (clarity) at mid to high volume. I like listening to my music loud, but not as to disturb others in the next lane.
Here They Are:

1st-NAKAMICHI

NAKAMICHI PA-1004 400WATTS 4/3/2 MULTI-CHANNEL AMPLIFIER

OVERVIEW:

AMPLIFIER PERFORMANCE BEYOND THE CONVENTIONAL
Nakamichi's latest offering of Mobile Power Amplifiers deliver sonic excellence, flexibility and cosmetic design that's destined to become the reference standard other amplifiers will be judged against. The result of a collaborative effort between the R&D teams at Nakamichi America and Nakamichi Corporation Japan, this series represents an international effort that truly brings together Nakamichi global experience, expertise and manufacturing know-how.

Consistent with our long-standing product design philosophy, the foremost considerations for the new PA series were sonic accuracy and dynamics. Delivering this new level of performance required a totally fresh approach to circuit design, parts selection, circuit layout and construction techniques. By utilizing a fully-complementary high-speed amplifier design with discrete transistors, coupled to a fully regulated PWM power supply with high-current MOSFET devices, an enormous reserve of dynamic power is available in reserve to reproduce accurately the most demanding of your musical selections. Nakamichi propritary Harmonic Time Alignmentª amplifier topology is also employed to ensure the highest musical fidelity. The result is a technological tour de force with power so clean and abundant that it will please even the most radical SPL competitor as well as the critical ear of the music aficionado. Built-in versatility is also an integral part of the new PA series. These robust power amplifiers provide considerable flexibility accommodating a wide range of system configurations. And they are designed to allow for future system expansion through the thoughtful use of multi-channel bridging options, equalization, line outputs and variable frequency crossover capabilities.

An optional bass level control is available for remote operation of the amplifiers bass output.

FEATURES:

4/3/2 channel (50 W x 4, four ohms) amplifier

12dB/octave high and low pass variable frequency crossover

42Hz bass boost circuit

Input level control accommodating input levels from 150mV to 4 volts.

True line outputs, allow for the individual designation of the high and low pass filters as well as a flat setting.

Low-profile design (less than 2.14")

Black matte finish with brushed silver accent

Remote bass level port (requires optional RBC-1)

Protection from short-circuits, thermal conditions etc.

Gold-plated speaker and power connectors

Time-delay turn-on/off eliminates "thumps" completely

SPECIFICATIONS:

Continuous Power Output

Power Output (4 Ohms):
50W x 4

Power Output (2 Ohms):
100W x 4

Bridged Power Output (8 Ohms):
100W x 2

Bridged Power Output (4 Ohms):
200W x 2

Minimum Speaker Impedance:
2 Ohm

Power Bandwidth:
5HzÐ25kHz

Frequency Response (1W / 4 Ohm):
5Hz-80kHz

Total Harmonic Distortion (at rated power,
4 Ohms):
< 0.05%

Intermodulation Distortion:
< 0.05%

Input Sensitivity:
150mV Ð 4V

Input Impedance:

Signal to Noise Ratio (minimum sensitivity 22kHz bandwidth filter):
98dB

Stereo Separation (2kHz):
80dB

Damping Factor (20Hz, 4 Ohms):
> 150

Crossovers:

High Pass
12-250Hz

Slope
12dB/octave

Low Pass
45-180Hz

Slope
12dB/octave

Bass Boost at 42Hz:
Yes

Auto Bridging:
Yes

Line Output:
Yes

Remote Bass Level Port:
Yes

Protection:

Short Circuit Protection
Yes

DC Protection
Yes

Thermal Protection
Yes

Thermal Foldback
Yes

Power Source:
12v DC negative ground (10 Ð 15v allowable)

Current Consumption:

with music, 4 Ohms/Channel (avg.)
< 20A

with sine wave, 4 Ohms/Channel
< 35A

at idle
< 2.0A

Dimensions:

Width
11-1/2"
292.6mm

Height
2-1/8"
54.4mm

Length
14-7/8"
377mm

Approximate Weight:
14 lbs.
6.36 kg.

2nd Amp-JL AUDIO 300-4
Multi Channel Amp

General Specifications

RMS Power Range : 300 Watts

RMS: Root Mean Square is a formula that provides a reasonably accurate means of measuring and comparing continuous AC power. The use of this measure is preferred when matching system components, like amplifiers and receivers.

Number Of Channels: 4

Number Of Channels: Common name for a complete amplifying stage in any audio amplifier. Most amplifiers are denominated as 1, 2, 4, 5, or 6 channel units. Each of these is a discrete audio amp on its own, capable of taking a small line signal input and amplifying it sufficiently to be heard on an appropriate speaker. Some amplifiers are capable of bridging two channels together, to form one channel of double the power of each separately. The manufacturer's instructions differ widely on how to accomplish this, and each must be followed exactly.

Low Frequency response: 5 Hz

Frequency Response: The range of frequencies that a speaker will reproduce (lowest frequency to the highest). While the optimal normal is 20 - 20,000 Hz (Hertz), the range of human hearing for individuals is often much more restricted. A good full-range speaker system however, will reproduce as much of this range as possible in order to cover all variations. Individual Drivers are limited to reproducing only that part of the spectrum for which they were made, so their response will be limited, but still a necessary point to consider when designing a complete sound system.

High Frequency Response: 30000 Hz

Frequency Response: The range of frequencies that a speaker will reproduce (lowest frequency to the highest). While the optimal normal is 20 - 20,000 Hz (Hertz), the range of human hearing for individuals is often much more restricted. A good full-range speaker system however, will reproduce as much of this range as possible in order to cover all variations. Individual Drivers are limited to reproducing only that part of the spectrum for which they were made, so their response will be limited, but still a necessary point to consider when designing a complete sound system.

Built In Crossovers: Yes

Crossover: A device or passive circuit used in systems with separate tweeter and/or midrange Drivers. It Rolls Off frequencies above and below certain points in the range, to allow the sound to be tailored for the specific driver to which it is sent. Most speakers have crossovers that consist of passive elements such as capacitors, coils, and resistors to separate the various frequencies. In a bi-amped or multi-amped system, the crossover is an active device that feeds the various frequency bands to the inputs of the amplifiers that operate the individual drivers.

Features

Rated Power(stereo): 75 W RMS x 4 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm (11V-14.5V)
Rated Power (bridged): 150 W RMS x 2 @ 3 ohm-8 ohm(11V-14.5V)
THD at Rated Power: <0.03% @ 4 ohm
S/N Ratio*: >108.5dB below rated power
Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 30 KHz (+0, -1dB)
Damping Factor: >200 @ 4 ohm per. ch./50 Hz
Input Range: switchable from 200mV-2V RMS to 800mV-8V RMS
Dimensions: 13.4"L x 9.25"W x 2.36"H
Differential-Balanced Input Topology: (2 pair of inputs)
Front Crossover: fully-variable (50 Hz-5 KHz), selectable-slope LP or HP (12 or 24 dB per octave)
Rear Crossover: fully-variable (50 Hz-5 KHz), selectable-slope LP or HP (12 or 24 dB per octave)
Speaker output connections: accept up to 8ga. wire
+12V and Ground connections: accept up to 4ga. Wire
W

This stuff is to confusing - Anyone have any good advise on which to buy. Right now I am not sure if I am keeping the Stock Bose system or buying the nakamichi CD400. Depends on if the installers can save my voice navigation with Nakamichi.......Thanking you all in advance.

Stinger1
Old 12-16-2003, 09:25 AM
wren57
Banned

I've got a JL 300/4, and it sound terrific! Can't comment on the other one though, but the JL powers my Infinity components flawlessly.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:27 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ive got a jl 300/2 powering my infinity kappa perfect 6.1's and the set up sounds awesome. i also use a jl 500/1 for my jl 10w3v2's and all the products are worked great for me.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:13 PM
Dream2Reality

I love nak stuff, and hate jl, but I gotta say JL is probably going to sound better. New nak amps are nothing special...JL's are pretty good.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:06 PM
big-al

dream2reality is right naks garbage when it comes to amps. i dont care what the specs say. as for the jl amp, 300/4 is not enough power 75watt/ch on 165k is not gonna cut it! use 300/2.
my advice is not to run rear speakers on this car, cus it's too close to your ears, at the same, it'll ruin the imaging(stage) instead spend the money on a better amp, make sense?
Old 12-17-2003, 03:24 AM
Stinger1

Default sub woofers

Originally posted by Dream2Reality
I love nak stuff, and hate jl, but I gotta say JL is probably going to sound better. New nak amps are nothing special...JL's are pretty good.
I was planning on (2)JL Audio 8 "
subs under the strut bar. What is it you don't like about JL? What esle would recommend.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:28 AM
Stinger1

Originally posted by big-al
dream2reality is right naks garbage when it comes to amps. i dont care what the specs say. as for the jl amp, 300/4 is not enough power 75watt/ch on 165k is not gonna cut it! use 300/2.
my advice is not to run rear speakers on this car, cus it's too close to your ears, at the same, it'll ruin the imaging(stage) instead spend the money on a better amp, make sense?
Rear Speakers were already purchased. I was planning on using them just for fill. So you think the installers are suggesting the wrong size amp. What amp do you think would push all 4 speakers with optimal results?
Old 12-17-2003, 05:22 AM
Dream2Reality

Originally posted by big-al
I agree 100%. What you could do (since the rears are already there) is run the rears off the headunit, and the fronts off of the 300/2. Remember, stock the rears are like 32ohms or something ridiculous, while the fronts are 4 ohms. Trust me/us; rear speakers should NOT be getting the same power as the fronts.

As far as what I don't like about JL, they tend to sound very boomy to me. I would recommend the elemental designs e8a over them. You can find info at http://www.edesignaudio.com Run the 500/1 or similar power to them, and you will be VERY VERY happy; much cleaner sound than the JL's, imo. They're on sale for $145 a piece right now; basically what most dealers want for the 8w3. Just by looking you can tell it will DESTROY those JL's; once you hear them, I'm sure you'll be in love.