Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

10w7 pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:38 PM
fmayi1101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10w7 pics

bout to put a 10w7 in my car and was searching to see how most of you guys have em installed in ur car, but didnt find any. seen a few in the z enclosures, but was wodering if the box does it justice (airspace), how do you guys have it installed 12w7 installs also appreciated.

Last edited by fmayi1101; 10-26-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Just put a 10W6v2 in a ported box I built.

A little over 1 cube after port and sub displacement, tuned to ~30Hz and sounds great.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:09 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

I wouldnt reccomend porting a W6 or W7. Both ahve very low frequency extension that is completely wasted if you port the box. The power handling under the tuned frequency drops off extremely fast on any woofer. Im sure it sounds "good" , but its application is not optimal by any means. Guess its all what you like i guess.
I like every song to sound good w out touching a thing on my settings.
W7 is meant for a sealed box ONLY btw OP.. maybe you can port a W6, but ahaving owned a truck with 14 of them in it, I can surely attest to knowing a great deal about their operational characteristics.

In terms of mounting?

under strut bar. facing rear, only way to go. they are heavy.

I ahve since sold this TC Customs box ( ebay 360 painted and shipped btw.. very rad box) as it was too heavy, too TOP heavy, and was overkill since I use imprint software at it is really difficult to fight its level matching between mids and subwoofer... no matter what, it turns the bass way down. So there was no point. I sold the whole thing for 400 bucks.. very odd. NO ONE would pay what it was worth, oh well.

If i had it to do over and had to use a W7 ( which I love btw).. Id set it in the spare tire well standing face up, even if that meant fglassing a volcanoe shaped box for it. As far back and low as possible.
But for simplicities sake, jsut buy an availably made box man.
Z encolsures makes one for it, thats what i had before w one 10W7.. it was very nice.

Last edited by bmccann101; 10-27-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Z1NONLY

From JL's instruction manual for the 10W6v2...

Inside you will find specifications and two recommended enclosures for your speaker; one is a sealed
enclosure, the other is a ported design. Both types of enclosures will give you excellent sound quality and
low-frequency extension. The sealed enclosure is a better choice if space is extremely tight, but the ported
enclosure will produce 3dB more output at the same power if you have the extra space to work with.
And here is a visual representation of the 10W6v2 in a .75 cube sealed enclosure vs my ported enclosure.(Red is sealed, orange is ported)

The sealed enclosure has more out put at everything below...18Hz?
Figure in the infrasonic filter I have set at ~22Hz and the sealed probably has more output below 25Hz. However it's not much more and there's not a lot going on down there in most music. (Not even in the synthetic bass music genre)

Then with everything between 25 and 100Hz, the ported enclosure has more output than the sealed with the same power. Even with the slight bump in the response curve of the ported enclosure, it's flatter than the sealed and crushes the sealed box output for much of the spectrum between 25 and 100Hz.

The response curves between sealed and ported showed similar results with both my WX and my W3 and they both sounded like they "looked" when I switched each from sealed to this ported box.

The W6v2 is too deep for my .75 cube sealed enclosure so I can't real-world A/B it. But the software nailed it for the two subs and enclosures that I did compare back to back in the same car with the same power so I have no reason to doubt it regarding the W6.

JL offers recommended sealed and ported enclosures for both the W6 and W7.

If you tune a ported enclosure too high and/or don't use a subsonic filter below the tuning fq, the sub will unload badly. But properly done ported enclosures have more output and play louder and lower than sealed. Not all subs like ported enclosures, however the WX, w3v2 w3v3 and w6v2 do great in properly done ported enclosures. Others in the JL line probably do too, but I haven't tested them.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 10-27-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

i didnt realize i was talking to someone in florida hahaha. you fkerz are ALWAYS into your bass.

Well i will say that it is now apparent im talking to someone whos knows what they are doing.. NEVER the norm here on the forum. I guess i play it way down and stick w the keep it simple stuipid method for most of the replies i leave.

The one thing that I didnt mention and what is truly the reason i go sealed is group delay.

Thats huge to me. I dont like any. I think it makes the music incredibly percussive and more physical and emotive when the group delay is nearly non existant.
Ports always got louder, but I liked the low freq extension coupled with absolutley rediculous lack of group delay and immediate hammering of the W7 in a sealed box.

W6, well, i guess when dealing wiht just one sub etc.. you can get more creative. In my case, it was multiple small enclosures, so sealed it was. No shared chambers etc. I wish i had pictures of it, but that was before digital cameras were becomming popular haha.

Fawk im old.. haha.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Z1NONLY

The WX was under-damped to begin with so going ported kind of smoothed it out. The W3v2 lost some of its "impact" going from sealed to ported but what it gained in output and low-end dwarfed the small loss in initial punch.(IMHO) The value (or lack thereof) in such tradeoffs are inherently subjective so understand why some may choose differently than I.

The W6v2 however, sounds as "tight" in this ported enclosure as the 10W3v2 sounded in its sealed box. We are dealing with two different amps though, so it's not a fair "direct" comparison. (Maybe the 500/1 deserves some credit, I'm not sure)

I'm still quite impressed with the W6's sound quality. The output is stout, but the sub's ability to be both sledge hammer and scalpel is what has really set it apart in my book.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 10-27-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM
dctoast

little off topic - Do you ever get pulled over for covering the cardinal on the plate?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:31 PM
fmayi1101

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
Just put a 10W6v2 in a ported box I built.

A little over 1 cube after port and sub displacement, tuned to ~30Hz and sounds great.
pics bro an dhows it sound does it rattle the windows and all that.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:34 PM
fmayi1101

Originally Posted by bmccann101
I wouldnt reccomend porting a W6 or W7. Both ahve very low frequency extension that is completely wasted if you port the box. The power handling under the tuned frequency drops off extremely fast on any woofer. Im sure it sounds "good" , but its application is not optimal by any means. Guess its all what you like i guess.
I like every song to sound good w out touching a thing on my settings.
W7 is meant for a sealed box ONLY btw OP.. maybe you can port a W6, but ahaving owned a truck with 14 of them in it, I can surely attest to knowing a great deal about their operational characteristics.

In terms of mounting?

under strut bar. facing rear, only way to go. they are heavy.

I ahve since sold this TC Customs box ( ebay 360 painted and shipped btw.. very rad box) as it was too heavy, too TOP heavy, and was overkill since I use imprint software at it is really difficult to fight its level matching between mids and subwoofer... no matter what, it turns the bass way down. So there was no point. I sold the whole thing for 400 bucks.. very odd. NO ONE would pay what it was worth, oh well.

If i had it to do over and had to use a W7 ( which I love btw).. Id set it in the spare tire well standing face up, even if that meant fglassing a volcanoe shaped box for it. As far back and low as possible.
But for simplicities sake, jsut buy an availably made box man.
Z encolsures makes one for it, thats what i had before w one 10W7.. it was very nice.

see i was thinking putting it just as you mentioned where the spare tire is cause i have the z enclosure box now but not enough airspace not sure if its because i bought the one that doesnt reach the back seats. you tell me man hell you had 14 f them. also that pic you have is that the one you sold or you made that.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by fmayi1101
pics bro an dhows it sound does it rattle the windows and all that.

I haven't really observed it from outside the car other than when I was setting the gains and the doors were open then. (So I wasn't checking for any "flex".)

Other than the usual rear-view mirror/steering wheel shake, the third brake light plastic shroud is starting to annoy me at certain frequencies. (Vibrates against the back glass rather loudly....need to use a small piece of window insulation tape I think)

There's one track on an old bass-music disc that has almost all the bass between 30 and 40Hz. When I play that track loud it feels like the sub grabs a hold of the whole car and the people in it. Very "thick" bass down low.

It's quite loud for a single 10". I'm particularly impressed with the way it stays loud as it goes for the lower notes.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:59 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know how similar the w6v2 is to w7 in terms of airspace and tuning...

Last edited by dkmesa350z; 10-27-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
Don't know how similar the w6v2 is to w7 in terms of airspace and tuning...
Just ran the numbers (for the box I already have). It's almost a carbon copy of the W6v2 @ 500 watts.

But it can handle a couple hundred extra watts of power than the W6. (well 150 more anyway)

@ 650 watts, it's up 2db @50Hz on the 10W6 (when the W6 is pushed with only 500watts)

It's about an inch deeper though so you need figure that into your box design.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 10-27-2011 at 07:15 PM.