Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Viper Alarm Messed Up - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 AM
CleanFairladyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Viper Alarm Messed Up - Help!

I have a Viper 790XV alarm system in my Z. It has always worked fine since I got the vehicle. However, ever since I got out of the car last night, the lock, unlock, AUX, and * buttons on my transmitter do absolutely nothing.

I have tried taking out the AAA battery in the transmitter to reset it. Didn't help. I have the normal lock/unlock transmitter that the Z comes with stock and that will open the doors, but of course the alarm stays on, meaning that the alarm goes off when I open them. It also goes off when key turns to ON.

I do have a valet button and another switch under the steering column. I've tried looking up solutions, but so far nothing has worked. Can somebody help me? Thank you.

Last edited by CleanFairladyZ; 11-05-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 PM
w210e55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default viper alarm

I had similar issues with my Clifford at one point. The alarm brain went bad and I had to have it replaced.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:13 PM
sssmasss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by w210e55
I had similar issues with my Clifford at one point. The alarm brain went bad and I had to have it replaced.
yup! that was what happened to my old car alarm too. i didnt have viper of course. i got the coded alarm or something like that. alarm came with my old car.

Get a new alarm bro.

Get st800 or st960 or easycar e7-b

Cheap and has many cool features. or you can get a viper with same function for 600 bucks
Old 11-05-2011, 08:35 PM
CleanFairladyZ

Sooooo does anyone have any advice besides telling me it's completely shot?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:23 AM
sssmasss

Originally Posted by CleanFairladyZ
Sooooo does anyone have any advice besides telling me it's completely shot?
you could try taking the unit out. and open it up to see if there is anything burnt.

perhaps you should check to see if you wiring connections are secure. your car vibrate alot. it might become loose over time and completely disconnected.

i would check the connection between your door lock/unlock and your lock and unlock output from your alarm. While you are at it, check the AUX and everything too. Use a volt meter to test them.

Last edited by sssmasss; 11-06-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:37 AM
CleanFairladyZ

Well here's the thing, I'm pretty bad at wires. Seriously not one of my better skills. The car is sitting in my garage right now. In all honesty, I want to take the system out. Kinda always have. Except I definitely would mess something up doing it myself. My point is, does anyone have any advice on how I could at least get it started and take it to someone who can take it out. Who can take it out anyway?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

the point of the alarm system is to prevent you from stealing the car...so i would hire an alarm company to remove it at your house or tow it to them or go on craigslist and find someone to do it.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 AM
CleanFairladyZ

DONE! about 45 minutes and 10 scraped up fingers later, I have completely removed the brain from under my steering column. Car starts now. There's so many components visible in the car still (red flashing light, hatch sensor, and the horn). Pieces of the interior like the headliner and a column would have to be removed to get to those. I'll get someone to take those out. For now I'm just glad I can turn it on
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 AM
KPierson_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a little late now, but do you have a 2nd remote to try? Did the valet button still work to disable the alarm?

If the siren is still going off and the starter kill is kicking in chances are the brain is still good. The 790xv is an older alarm and I believe it was one of Vipers first two ways that had a lot of remote issues. If I had to guess I would think something inside the remote was damaged, not the brain. I could PM you an installer to take it to in Dayton - a guy I worked with long ago and is still installing.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 PM
CleanFairladyZ

Originally Posted by KPierson_
It's a little late now, but do you have a 2nd remote to try? Did the valet button still work to disable the alarm?

If the siren is still going off and the starter kill is kicking in chances are the brain is still good. The 790xv is an older alarm and I believe it was one of Vipers first two ways that had a lot of remote issues. If I had to guess I would think something inside the remote was damaged, not the brain. I could PM you an installer to take it to in Dayton - a guy I worked with long ago and is still installing.
I'm not really interested in fixing the system. It just started to bug me after a while. If you could PM me the installer tho that would be awesome because I'd like the rest of the system removed. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:17 PM
sssmasss

i am glad you got it out. If you had ask me about how to remove the alarm then i could have told you how. Anways, if you are not going to fix the alarm then i think you should remove it completely. You dont have to take it to any body to remove it bro. you are almost dont. it suck to pay someone 100 dollars to remove something that you could have done in 1 hours. All you have to do is trace your way back from the BRAIN your alarm unit and remove all wires from it. Here is the key though, only remove the after market wire. do not remove your OEM wires.