Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Lost power in door

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011 | 01:10 PM
06PPW350

Default Lost power in door

Hi All,

EDIT: I've put this in the Audio section since many may have seen this while running wires through the molex

I did a search for this but couldn't exactly find what I needed for help....

The previous owner ran some audio wires through the molex (to be honest, i am not an audio expert so haven't come up to speed on all the details). Since this, the connector at the door has never been quiet tight. You have to wiggle it a bit to get power in the door panel for the windows and power lock to operate correctly.

Today, I lost complete power in that door. Now the keyless entry wont unlock the door either. Wiggling the connector seems to serve no purpose. It seems to be lined up properly (and no bent male connectors inside)

Any suggestions on how I can perhaps go about troubleshooting this?

The workaround for now is just to use the key to unlock the door.

P.S. I dont know if this piece of info helps but: Holding the key turned in the door doesn't seem to bring the windows down. (but i guess that's implied since theres no power to the door?)

As always, appreciate your help!

Last edited by 06PPW350; 11-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2011 | 07:14 AM
06PPW350

bump?
Old 11-05-2011 | 08:15 PM
sssmasss

the easiest way for this is to go a pin check. use your voltage meter and check each pin. good luck man.
Old 11-07-2011 | 06:03 AM
06PPW350

Originally Posted by sssmasss
the easiest way for this is to go a pin check. use your voltage meter and check each pin. good luck man.
Thanks... that was quite a pain especially with that little room to work with... good thing was that the multimeter didnt indicate any damage to any wires

It turns out that the speaker wires are quite thick and not allowing the male and female connectors to fully connect... i tried to straighten out the speaker wire as much as possible but still having this issue... might have to open up the holes in the molex a bit more to allow the wires to flow freely,

if that doesn't work, a work-around is just going to be to zip-tie the two connectors tightly together, ensuring that the speaker wire isnt getting hurt and all pins are connected, allowing all functions from the door.
Old 11-07-2011 | 01:21 PM
zakmartin

You sure it isn't just a dead battery in your fob?
Old 11-08-2011 | 05:20 PM
sssmasss

Originally Posted by 06PPW350
Thanks... that was quite a pain especially with that little room to work with... good thing was that the multimeter didnt indicate any damage to any wires

It turns out that the speaker wires are quite thick and not allowing the male and female connectors to fully connect... i tried to straighten out the speaker wire as much as possible but still having this issue... might have to open up the holes in the molex a bit more to allow the wires to flow freely,

if that doesn't work, a work-around is just going to be to zip-tie the two connectors tightly together, ensuring that the speaker wire isnt getting hurt and all pins are connected, allowing all functions from the door.
Yeah it was damn difficult. when i installed my st800 my door switch stop working. i was like the heck? I had to check them like that.. hahaha

Originally Posted by zakmartin
I didnt think about this. I gave you the direction to the difficult route first. It suck if this were your problem.
Old 11-09-2011 | 08:07 AM
06PPW350

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Fob works fine for the passenger door, lights blink, etc... i can still use the trunk release and the panic as well... just the driver door and tightening up that connector got it temporarily working... of course, the moment i let go of the connector and close the door... loss of power again because it comes loose.