Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help - Need Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011 | 02:27 PM
gmarco

Default Help - Need Clarification

Okay, so. Here is the list of what I have:

Two 10'' Alpine Type R subs enclosed already.
A 4 channel amp.
A 4 channel headunit (SONY CDX-GT550UI).
All amp wiring necessary.

Unfortunately - I have BOSE Premium Sound.

I want to clarify, because Crutchfield is saying I need to get a 6 channel headunit, so I can use their harness (this one) that I connect to 2 of the pre-amp outputs to power the speakers, and the final sub pre-amp output to power the new amp/subs.

I don't necessarily want to buy a new headunit when I just bought this 4 channel one and learned the hard way that BOSE sucks with adding a sub.

Can I use...say this harness (http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=26) instead...to power the speakers using these line outs and power the sub/new amp using the RCA pre-amp?

I would appreciate any help/direction. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2011 | 05:11 PM
Guilty1s

To keep it the simplist... and cheapest....

Keep bose head unit and speakers. You can get a Line converter to splice into your speakers to convert speaker level to RCA level signals to input your amp to power your speakers.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SOEM...line+converter

Some amps have built in speaker level inputs that i would recommend before using a converer.
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_120/All...r_Level_Inputs

If you want to do it right, Get a good headunit, run RCAs to both a monoblock amp for a sub and a 4 channel amp to your rewired components.
Old 11-18-2011 | 05:18 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

There are a bazillion different ways to do this, but if I was doing it myself, I'd try one of the following:

Option 1 - Buy an additional dedicated sub amp
-------------------------------------------------------
Use two RCA Y adapters to split the rear preamp so that you have 6 preamps & can run an amp connection to each speaker.

Option 2 - Use combination
--------------------------------------------
Use front preamps to AMP, then to front speakers. Use radio's line level outputs to rear speakers. Use radio's rear preamps to AMP, then to subs.

Option 3 - Combine Speakers
----------------------------------
Use the front preamps for the speakers and the rear preamps for the subs.

Driver Front & Driver Rear (in parallel) ---> AMP Left 1
Passenger Front & Passenger Rear (in parallel) ---> AMP Right 1
Sub 1 ---> AMP Left 2
Sub 2 ---> AMP Right 2

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 11-18-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2011 | 05:25 PM
gmarco

I appreciate your responses guys and will take them into consideration; however, I am still curious about whether or not the setup I described would work..? I want to know if I use the ROEM-NIS2 adapter to run my speakers. And use my 4-channel aftermarket amp (that I have lying around) to run my sub. I really don't want to spend any more money than what I already have. I'm not trying to use my 4-channel amp to power my speakers, that's the point of me getting the ROEM-NIS2 harness - so I can power the speakers using the existing BOSE amp.

tl;dr - Can I use BOSE amp to power speakers with the ROEM-NIS2 harness & power sub with my other amp?

^ All that is using the aftermarket headunit, of course, not stock BOSE unit.

Last edited by gmarco; 11-18-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2011 | 07:03 PM
gmarco

bump
Old 11-19-2011 | 04:50 AM
gmarco

bump... any response to my question would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-21-2011 | 09:45 AM
JMII

Originally Posted by gmarco
Can I use BOSE amp to power speakers with the ROEM-NIS2 harness & power sub with my other amp?

^ All that is using the aftermarket headunit, of course, not stock BOSE unit.
Such a setup should work, just ignore the factory sub connections. The radio you've got has a built-in crossover so your all set. Run a set of RCA cables from the radio's rear preamp to your 4 channel amp in low pass mode.

Now, can you bridge your 4 channel amp? If so I would do that and run your two subs in stereo off the bridged channels of the amp. Keep in mind this will only work is the ohm load is compatible. I need more info on your speakers and amp to see if this best route.

Best bet (as other suggested) skip the Bose amp, use your 4 channel amp to drive the factory speakers and add a dedicated sub amp to power your subs. Option #2 from SparkleCityHop is one I recommend to most people since your rear speakers don't need that much power. Use the 4 channel amp to drive the fronts and subs if you can bridge the 2nd (or rear) channel.