Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help! My Pioneer 3100 wont turn off!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:29 AM
loudrims_inc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! My Pioneer 3100 wont turn off!!

ok it just started about 2 weeks after i installed my pioneer 3100dvd...i went to work, parked my car, engaged the hand brake, turned off the car, everything turned off including the HU at the time...i went back to the car to get something, and i was like, "wtf, i hear music"...i opened the door and my ****ing HU was on playin music!!! i wasss soooo confused!...i was told to take my HU out and wire the ignition wire to the ignition or to something that powers off when the ignition powers off!...i need clarification!! what should i do???????????????????????????? all help is appreciated!! thanks!! i plan on takin care of this today...

Last edited by loudrims_inc; 07-01-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:12 AM
gsxrsellout

haha... that's kinda funny! Sorry to hear though. Double check your power wire and be sure it's not going to a wire that is always hot. Look at the package for your wiring harness and it will have all the color codes for the wiring. g/l
Old 07-01-2009, 11:03 AM
loudrims_inc

ok so now i took my dash apart AGAIN...checked out all the wiring, i disconnected and reconnected the "constant 12v wire" (Yellow) and now guess the f*** what!!!! my ****ing unit wont come on at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 AM
StreetOC192

The red wire in the power harness is your switched lead. Recheck that you have this wired correctly.

As for the Yellow, check the fuses (both inline and in the fuse panel) to make sure when you disconnected it you didn't short it on anything causing the fuse to pop.

Are you using a harness adapter or did you hard wire the new headunit to the car's wiring?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
loudrims_inc

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
The red wire in the power harness is your switched lead. Recheck that you have this wired correctly.

As for the Yellow, check the fuses (both inline and in the fuse panel) to make sure when you disconnected it you didn't short it on anything causing the fuse to pop.

Are you using a harness adapter or did you hard wire the new headunit to the car's wiring?

i am using a metra wiring harness...i misplaced my owners manual...where are the fuse boxes located in a 2003 350z with Auto Trans so i can check it now??
Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Ruff_Racer
i am using a metra wiring harness...i misplaced my owners manual...where are the fuse boxes located in a 2003 350z with Auto Trans so i can check it now??
If I'm not mistaken, mine is in the kick panel of the driver's side.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
loudrims_inc

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
If I'm not mistaken, mine is in the kick panel of the driver's side.
i just checked the audio fuse in the kick panel and the inline fuse and they weren't blown...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
loudrims_inc

ok so now i took my dash apart AGAIN...checked out all the wiring, i disconnected and reconnected the "constant 12v wire" (Yellow) and now guess the f*** what!!!! my ****ing unit wont come on at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol...ok i figured out why it didnt power on...the ground wire got lose...i feel like an a** ...

...but it still wont power off!! IF i power off the unit manually and turn the display OFF...would that drain the battery??

...or maybe i can tap the yellow acc wire into the the interior fuse box to whatever powers off when the ignition is off????

Last edited by loudrims_inc; 07-01-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:21 PM
gsxrsellout

There has to be something wrong with your power wire because with the car off the power wire shouldn't be getting power. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the power wire only gets power when the ignition is on acc. or start, right?

If the power wire is always supposed to get power then there has to be a fault in your head unit.

Just out of curiosity, did you solder all of your connections or did you use barrel connectors? Sometimes the barrel connectors aren't the best and they can get poor connections.

Did this problem ever occur with your stock head unit? Pioneer has great customer support over the phone. You can call them and they can try and walk you through some troubleshooting.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:40 PM
loudrims_inc

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gsxrsellout
There has to be something wrong with your power wire because with the car off the power wire shouldn't be getting power. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the power wire only gets power when the ignition is on acc. or start, right?

If the power wire is always supposed to get power then there has to be a fault in your head unit.

Just out of curiosity, did you solder all of your connections or did you use barrel connectors? Sometimes the barrel connectors aren't the best and they can get poor connections.

Did this problem ever occur with your stock head unit? Pioneer has great customer support over the phone. You can call them and they can try and walk you through some troubleshooting.
i used barrel connectors...and this problem never occurred with my stock bose HU...i think the problem would be with the yellow constant power wire...i guessin when i connect it to a wire or fuse that is Hot when the ignition is on, it would probably work!...i did my research all over google and it work fine for those people...im going to buy me a multimeter from walmart and test a few empty slots in the fuse box to see if they are hot with ignition...i will give my results when i get done! hope this works!
Old 07-01-2009, 02:57 PM
gsxrsellout

Call pioneer, I believe you may have a bad head unit.

After thinking about it for a bit I think the power wire is always hot. The remote wire is what turns the head unit on and off automatically. If your head unit doesn't turn off then it's gotta be your head unit.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:51 PM
loudrims_inc

Originally Posted by gsxrsellout
Call pioneer, I believe you may have a bad head unit.

After thinking about it for a bit I think the power wire is always hot. The remote wire is what turns the head unit on and off automatically. If your head unit doesn't turn off then it's gotta be your head unit.
ok i just hook my constant 12v wire to the mirror fuse because it is hot with ignition and voila!! the darn thing turns off and on when its supposed to...the only thing is when i turn the car off then on again it powers off and on but it doesnt save the memory...so im going to use it like this temporarily and give Pioneer a call tomm...
Old 07-01-2009, 08:03 PM
gsxrsellout

Check your remote wire too, make sure that it has a good connection and that you connected it to the right wire.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:04 AM
loudrims_inc

doesnt the remote wire give sound to the speakers?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:35 AM
gsxrsellout

You have dedicated wires that send sound to your speakers. The remote wire I believe is a switched wire that gets power when you turn your ignition and turns your head unit on and off.

*EDIT* Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not 100% sure.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:14 PM
CancerJCCz

Remote wire implies the remote turn on lead. This is not something OP needs to concern himself with. OP go to walmart and buy yourself an $8 test light. Hook it up to ground and then test the wire that is red from the harness. It will be lit with the ignition ON and go out when you turn it off. Your problem is you are hooking up the ignition wire to a constant 12v source this test light will lead you down the path of righteoness.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:17 PM
quiksilver38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remote wire is usually always BLUE with no stripes and is usually only used to power on an amp it shouldn't be plugged into speakers
Old 07-06-2009, 06:49 PM
ga0887

ok i just hook my constant 12v wire to the mirror fuse because it is hot with ignition and voila!! the darn thing turns off and on when its supposed to...the only thing is when i turn the car off then on again it powers off and on but it doesnt save the memory...so im going to use it like this temporarily and give Pioneer a call tomm...
It doesnt save the memory because it is wired incorrectly... the wiring harness has two "power" wires

1. A YELLOW one which should be hooked up to constant power (Even when the car is off)

2. A RED one which should be hooked up to a switched source (One that only has power when the key is set to "on" or "acc"

If you snap a picture of your wiring harness it would be easier to find out whats wrong.

If you connect the red to where the yellow is now AND connect the yellow to where the red is now it should function correctly.

Hope this solves your problem.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 AM
loudrims_inc

Originally Posted by ga0887
It doesnt save the memory because it is wired incorrectly... the wiring harness has two "power" wires

1. A YELLOW one which should be hooked up to constant power (Even when the car is off)

2. A RED one which should be hooked up to a switched source (One that only has power when the key is set to "on" or "acc"

If you snap a picture of your wiring harness it would be easier to find out whats wrong.

If you connect the red to where the yellow is now AND connect the yellow to where the red is now it should function correctly.

Hope this solves your problem.

hmmm...i will try that tonite, if not then i will post pix of my wiring...
Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 AM
loudrims_inc

im gonna connect yellow to a fuse that has a constant source, do you have any ideas?

...the red wire is working fine, its just the yellow thats being difficult