Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Seeking feedback regarding rattling

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011 | 11:36 PM
MikeBit

Default Seeking feedback regarding rattling

Hey guys, I recently overhauled my sound system in my 06, and I love the way it sounds. Got me Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 components up front, Infinity Kappa 629i coaxials in the rear, and I've got myself a type 2 zenclosure box with a 10" Infinity Reference 1060w sub (love this little guy). All of these are hooked up to a Rockford Fosgate Punch 400.4 amp. Yes, I know, I need another amp because I can't tune anything with all four channels being used, and I'll hop on that as soon as I can, but for now I'm loving what I'm hearing.

Ok so my question is this. I've dynamtted my doors, the whole thing, and I've also got a trunk kit of dynamat installed as well. For a long time, I had no rattles (at least playing the music at the bass level/volume level I felt completely comfortable with, which is nice and loud and hits hard enough to make anyone who hears it impressed). But all of a sudden, today I noticed that playing a lot of the songs I normally play, there was some rattling going on in my doors at exactly the same volume/bass levels I normally listen to.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Did you slap another layer of dynamat on to correct the problem? I just don't get how I can go from having no rattles.... to rattles. Input appreciated!

Thank you all for taking the time to read my thread! Happy new years guys!
Old 12-30-2011 | 05:29 AM
hellman_x

Check the screws on the speakers, mine had actually loosened before and I thought I had a blown speaker. Just a suggestion.
Old 12-30-2011 | 09:38 PM
MikeBit

Thank you for the feedback! I will definitely check the screws and make sure they are tightened. Although, the rattling is mainly coming from the opposite side of the speaker housing. Towards the bottom of the door, that's where the majority of it comes from. It does radiate towards the speaker sometimes, which sometimes makes me think the speaker is blown but I honestly think that's not possible considering I don't blast my system like crazy!
Old 01-02-2012 | 10:18 PM
zakmartin

Something might have dropped down into the doorwell, either through the window trim opening or maybe a part broke off and fell down there. Try getting a shop vac and see if you can't suck the crap out of there as long as you have your door panel off. You probably don't need anymore Dynamat (a little goes a long way with that stuff).
Old 01-03-2012 | 09:55 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Something might have dropped down into the doorwell, either through the window trim opening or maybe a part broke off and fell down there. Try getting a shop vac and see if you can't suck the crap out of there as long as you have your door panel off. You probably don't need anymore Dynamat (a little goes a long way with that stuff).
I had 2 whole Dynamat Xtreme kits in my trunk alone and another 3 kits in the cabin on my Camry. When I had 1 kit in the trunk, and 1 in the cabin it rattled baaaad
Old 01-08-2012 | 08:31 PM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
I had 2 whole Dynamat Xtreme kits in my trunk alone and another 3 kits in the cabin on my Camry. When I had 1 kit in the trunk, and 1 in the cabin it rattled baaaad
Seems to be the case for me.

The rattling seems to be prevalent when I'm listening to more upper frequency bass.... such as the kind of bass you'd get when you listen to more trance-like music. I'm an all-round listener. I can do anything from hip hop, jazz, trance, rap, rock, heavy metal, etc etc. The rattling is mostly there when I listen to trance music. Hardly there for hip hop, but sometimes if the song is bumping haaaaard with a hip hop song/rap it will make a slight rattle.

The rattling has spread to the rear area as well, where the speakers are housed. I've got that ENTIRE area dynamatted. Even inside the little compartments. When we were dynamatting that area, we smashed on the metal to see if we could hear any hollowness still left around the area. It sounded nice and solid, what the installers like to hear. When I went back to them, they informed me that sometimes this happens because once you install a system with some bump to it, things tend to "loosen up" a little. But lo and behold, they told me they've worked on many Z's and mine is the first to come back with rattling issues after I've installed dynamat everywhere

They suggested it might be my Zenclosure sub box... and suggested I dynamat the inside of the box, maybe that will do the trick. Any ideas?

The screws on the speakers did not come loose and there isn't any loose debris of any kind :/

Last edited by MikeBit; 01-08-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2012 | 01:15 PM
JMII

Maybe its plastic rattling and not metal? I would check the fit of the plastic panels, maybe a clip popped out, pretty common on doors since they get opened and closed so many times.

Rattling in the back too? Check the spare tire and related tools, I had to wrap the ones in my Dodge truck in an old towel to keep them from making noise.
Old 01-09-2012 | 06:37 PM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by JMII
Maybe its plastic rattling and not metal? I would check the fit of the plastic panels, maybe a clip popped out, pretty common on doors since they get opened and closed so many times.

Rattling in the back too? Check the spare tire and related tools, I had to wrap the ones in my Dodge truck in an old towel to keep them from making noise.
Good suggestions..... although I don't know how to distinguish plastic rattling from thin metal rattling

About the spare tire/tools...... its an interesting suggestion. But do you think that area where the rear speakers are housed could rattle because of the spare tire/tools? I'd think I'd hear the rattling noise coming from more towards the rear of the car, not so much directly behind me.... but nevertheless I'll take a look at this