Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

What HU's are compatible with Android phones?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Junkster

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What HU's are compatible with Android phones?

I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy S2 (Skyrocket) to replace my iphone and i LOVE it!

However, whenever i try to plug it into the USB line on my Alpine HU it does not want to recognize it. I have tried turning on USB debug on the phone but still no luck.

I would like to see if anyone knows of any HU's (preferable double din touch screen with GPS) that are compatible with android based phones. My MAIN request is basically just something that will play and allow Pandora to play through my stereo. Being able to control pandora through the HU would be choice but im just trying to find something that will WORK at this point!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Junkster

cmon 90+ views and no one has any input? there HAS to be something out there...i just cant seem to find crap online sucks!

So far this is the ONLY reason i like my iphone over my Skyrocket at this point...
Old 01-06-2012, 12:11 PM
flecko28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason it didn't recognize it is that its not programmed to communicate with your android phone. The best way to play the music through your stereo is with an AUX cable for now. Unless manufacturers started producing HU's that know the Android protocol. When you plug your phone in the USB, does it allow you to choose USB charging or pc mode? I would try selecting use as Mass Storage Device and see if your HU might be tricked into thinking its a storage device and read .mp3 files as if it were a thumb drive. I might go try that now actually.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Junkster

Originally Posted by flecko28
The reason it didn't recognize it is that its not programmed to communicate with your android phone. The best way to play the music through your stereo is with an AUX cable for now. Unless manufacturers started producing HU's that know the Android protocol. When you plug your phone in the USB, does it allow you to choose USB charging or pc mode? I would try selecting use as Mass Storage Device and see if your HU might be tricked into thinking its a storage device and read .mp3 files as if it were a thumb drive. I might go try that now actually.
When i plug it in via USB my phone doesnt do anything...it charges though..but thats it...
Old 01-06-2012, 12:36 PM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this out. I am not sure when it hits the market, but this article is from 7/11
http://www.harman.com/EN-US/Newscent...lications.aspx
Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Junkster

^yea there is lots of "talk" but nothing really..

So far this is all that i have found:

http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/ha...rrot-asteroid/

But that screen looks so small...i dont know if that would end up being more of a waste of money than anything...cause it doesnt make any mention about pandora on there...or any app like that really...

This is so dissapointing...looks like my only option is to go with a HU that offers Bluetooth connectivity and stream my music through that...from what i have read most allow connection with android that way...i HOPE

It really pisses me off how much i fell in love with this phone and one of my favorite apps that i use the most i cant even use...nevermind the fact that the radio reception in the Z is complete and utter garbage
Old 01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
CRIDDA

I am about to install my stereo in my car(been lazy the last 4 years) and this was something I was afraid would happen(not being able to connect through USB). I won an ipod touch last year, so no more problems there.

If you have a Bluetooth compatible HU, there is an app in the market that will allow you to connect that way
Old 01-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Junkster

Originally Posted by CRIDDA
I am about to install my stereo in my car(been lazy the last 4 years) and this was something I was afraid would happen(not being able to connect through USB). I won an ipod touch last year, so no more problems there.

If you have a Bluetooth compatible HU, there is an app in the market that will allow you to connect that way
How is battery life via bluetooth? i could imagine it being pretty bad...do you know the name of the app for android that your talking about?

I have an ipod so i guess connectivity would be nice to have with that too as well as a useable interface through the HU for that AND the android...but i really like listening to pandora more than i like my own personal music collection as im really bad about updating my ipod playlists and stuff...i rather just let pandora suprise me
Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Junkster

FYI :

My friend sent me this article which pretty much offers exactly what im looking for, its a good read however looks like we have to wait until april for the first set of products to be released...UGHHH!

http://ceoutlook.com/tag/pandora-car...ndroid-phones/
Old 01-06-2012, 01:24 PM
CRIDDA

battery life through blue tooth sucks, but you could use blue tooth to stream and just keep it on the charger in the car. I wonder if you could charge the phone through usb at the same time as using blue tooth.

I don't remember what the app was called, maybe blue tooth connect or something.

I saw that article, but like you said, not until April(if we are lucky)

You could always do it the old school way, with a FM transmitter
Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 PM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. find an AUX input from the headunit.
2. get a 3.5mm audio cable.
3. plug one end to the phone headset jack and the other end to the headunit.
4. change the source from the headunit to AUX input.
4. play music on the phone.
5. profit.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Junkster

yea no thanks! lol

id rather resort to aux port...
Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 AM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats odd, I have the HTC Desire and my brother just got the Nexus S. When I plug either phone into my Pioneer 3200 via USB is recognizes the data and allows me to browse/play songs through the H/U
Old 01-11-2012, 12:46 PM
kz0

I was thinking about getting this. It looks pretty cool. Its a completly android head unit. http://bybyte.com/droid_content.htm
Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My advice for you is just buy a flash drive. Much easier and you leave it in the car. Pull it out when you want to add new music
Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Junkster

^i do have that...but the main thing was for apps that i use that require cell phone coverage (ie pandora, iheart radio, etc)

I really am pretty lazy when it comes to downloading music and i really honestly like the apps like the ones i was mentioning...there are a few more but yea you get the idea
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Junkster

Originally Posted by kz0
I was thinking about getting this. It looks pretty cool. Its a completly android head unit. http://bybyte.com/droid_content.htm
that looks really cool..but no specs on the tablet?

Also doesnt address my above question in my post prior to this...looks like it allows for iphone though...guess you just connect to your phone using bluetooth then?

I cant seem to find any other information online for that HU though...looks questionable...
Old 01-12-2012, 01:05 PM
kz0

mp3car.com has a review on it. Theres serveral videos on youtube as well. The only bad thing I can tell is it uses an old version of android and they'res no firmware upgrades for it. I sent them an email asking if there would be an update. Haven't gotten a response. They also sell them on eBay and the prices are a little lower. I've researched it a lot. Theres a few other Android head units if you don't like that one. The best thing will definitly be having Pandora in the car over Wifi teathering.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Mr. Grim

Why do apple-***s always get all the good stuff.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
orangeNblue

the asteroid head unit you have mentioned above will be releasing a double din unit sometime this year. That unit is actually quite nice from what I've read and has really great support for android apps, bluetooth, etc. Plus it comes with all the necessary pieces. Curious to see how much the double din version will be.

Another option (sadly again you'll have to wait for it) is the pioneer app radio 2. It's due this summer but this version is supposed to support the android market and provide the same service as the original app radio, but with better support.

Quick Reply: What HU's are compatible with Android phones?