Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

PC Install questions. (Newbie stuff)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 11:53 AM
n666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC Install questions. (Newbie stuff)

Ok... after reading some posts about the pc install in the 350z i was amazed how clean and nice some installs are...

i have a touring with a Bose system which suck and is half-dead at this point.. and i'm really thinking about getting it changed..

now.. i'm very good with computers and software, but i dont have any experience in hardware installs, wiring..etc..
so i was wondering.. how hard would it be for a newbie like me to figre things out and actually get an install going?

Also.. my budget is pretty tight.. here's what i want in the system

Touchscreen 7" (i guess that $300 Lilliput) [something cheaper is always good :P ]

Need:
mp3 playback
radio
divx playback (optional) [definatelly dont need a dvd rom]
cd-rw (possibility if not too much)

Dont Need:
mouse/keyboard (touchscreen is good enough for me).

so yea.. that's that.. tell me what you guys think.. if i should even try to bother with this stuff... like i said.. getting a pc put together will take me like 5 min heh.. but i know nothing about install or wiring..

and yea.. what $$$ range am i looking at..

many thanks
Old 12-28-2003, 03:11 PM
kanenj01

Default same deal

im also looking to install a PC with same features if not more, been looking around the forum and found lots of good info. but im trying to see if anyone has some detailed instructions on how to get this done.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:02 PM
Webiteks

I am going to be having a nice setup with identical features listed above installed in my car. Here is a great guy to talk to if you have any questions. He helped me out alot and can put together anything you need.

His name is Charles and his name on the board is: Chazzg

His website is: http://www.image-engineering.com/ If you want to browse around. Don't let those prices on that website scare ya away though. . . he will work with you on getting exactly what you need.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help with wiring and such. I just figure I will get what I need first. . and go from there :-)

Dr. Bonz has a very nice post on 350zfrenzy.com if you want to see his HowTo.

I believe that link is:
http://www.350zfrenzy.com/forum/show...&threadid=1403

Good Luck!
Old 12-29-2003, 01:32 AM
n666

just curious.. how much are you guys thinking about spending on your projects?
Old 12-29-2003, 04:33 AM
kanenj01

i already have the laptop i want to use, so all i need an extra port replicator and everything will plug into it. (vid sound etc) this way i can use my pc at home/work/car. this is as long as the laptop fit in the glovebox. so i will need to buy and install a monitor plus install the port replicator, i still dont have an estimate on what i need done. but im thinking that this will cost me anywhere from 300-600.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:51 AM
kanenj01

Default Found an interesting article

It seems that the car pc can become illigal in cali

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/p...-8957372c.html
Old 01-04-2004, 04:17 PM
funkdamonkman

I build computers, and will probably start selling car pc's once I set mine up.

My computer system ran me $800 but I have a lot of extra stuff.

Mine has:

Small form factor (17cmx17cmx ?? probably only 17cm)
DVD
80gig HDD
lilliput touchscreen
delorme GPS w/ software
dc to dc powersupply
voltage regulator w/ shutdown/startup controllers
1ghz cpu.
256megs of ram. (pc2100)

So basically I can have gps navigation w/ voice command
Play mp3's
Play divx
Play DVD's
for about $20 more I can add a cd-burner.

I'm going to wait untill I complete my project before I start trying to sell systems. Also, there would have to be a demand, and i'm not sure that there is.

But, for your system I would estimate that you could do it for $600.

Remember that Heat is your enemy and if you are using a dc-dc powersupply energy consumption is also. I would choose some board from the EPIA line by VIA. If you don't plan on watching movies, some of the lower models will work; however, for watching divx you will most certainly need the 1ghz model. **edit** u know this !.. sry...

And wiring...

Shouldn't be that hard. You can tap into the rear cig lighter for power (if you have an '04), or run a line to the battery. You will have to get a vga extension cable to make the monitor reach. Hope you don't mind taking apart the dash....

Last edited by funkdamonkman; 01-04-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:43 PM
kanenj01

how did you fit the monitor into the space in the dash? did you cut out the back of the opening in the center console? or did it just lay inthere? how did you hold it in place? can this monitor be removed? did you leave the monitor in its own casing?i dint know i needed a "voltage regulator w/ shutdown/startup controllers" but where did you get this from?

"there is no such thing as a stupid question" i keep telling myself that
Old 01-05-2004, 07:10 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by kanenj01
how did you fit the monitor into the space in the dash? did you cut out the back of the opening in the center console? or did it just lay inthere? how did you hold it in place? can this monitor be removed? did you leave the monitor in its own casing?i dint know i needed a "voltage regulator w/ shutdown/startup controllers" but where did you get this from?

"there is no such thing as a stupid question" i keep telling myself that
There are a few post on Screen installs. The Fahrenheit 7" screens just fits without any modifications. Xenarc screens require taking screen out of the housing inorder to fit. Double side tape is used to hold the screen in place.
From your other post saying you'll be using a laptop, you can't really use a voltage regulator. You can find an adapter for your laptop for car use. Some laptops use 18V DC and the car output 12V-14V, so you'll need an adapter to bump it up.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:22 PM
funkdamonkman

If it is a laptop, then just get a car adaptor.

For a computer, you basically just substitute the dc-dc powersupply where the normal ac-dc powersupply would go. I will order mine at www.mini-box.com.

They have a package for the epia m10000, voltage regulator, and 70a powersupply. That's the best deal I can find.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:38 PM
kanenj01

the laptop is making more sense as far as using a pc, this way i can always take it out and replace it with something else. the monitor and im sorry i dint mention this before but i have the 2004, i dont really see how it would fit, the cover is on my 2004 looks totally different.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:15 PM
swoobyz

Check out my site if you run short of info:
http://www.swooby.com/z/navpc/

I have been working w/ on my project since April 2003 and have been fairly pleased with the results.
I did not skimp on much, and looking back the wiring was the hardest part.
I am on my 5th custom wiring harness now.

My goal was the smallest and least intrusive/noticable industry standard PC that I could build at the time.
Soon, VIA's "Nano-ITX" may take over.

Plan on building a 1GHz system.

You WILL most likely need a keyboard and mouse.
How else do you plan to set it up and maintain it?

Remember: In most cases, "you get what you paid for".

In the next few months I plan to install a custom WinXP CarPC shell written at Microsoft.
A co-worker at Microsoft has been working on his custom shell since November 2002.
My hardware setup is available for all to see, but the software setup, once it gets installed, may most likely be censored for NDA reasons.

Pv

Last edited by swoobyz; 01-06-2004 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:29 PM
sundevil67

Default Nav Quality

I am wondering what you guys think of the PC based navigation software as opposed to those available from Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer. Is it just as good? I see the PC based option will cost much less than a full system from one of these brands - is there voice guidance? URL for the most popular software?

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:39 PM
swoobyz

Default Re: Nav Quality

Originally posted by sundevil67
I am wondering what you guys think of the PC based navigation software as opposed to those available from Alpine/Kenwood/Pioneer. Is it just as good? I see the PC based option will cost much less than a full system from one of these brands - is there voice guidance? URL for the most popular software?
Thanks.
THe best place for this type of discussion is http://www.mp3car.com

CarPC based GPS software is OK.
At the least, it is more flexible than OEM solutions (Alpine, Pioneer, etc).
So, the geek in you would like the PC solution better...and if you are putting a PC in your car we already know you are a geek (from one fellow geek to another).

I know some people that have written their own custom front ends for Microsoft MapPoint 2004.
The results are pretty good, but MapPoint does not provide an API to the GPS device (for licensing reasons; the provider of the MapPoint technology that M$ licenses provides mobile GPS solutions and they did not want their market tread on).
You can easily interface with the software, but not with the GPS.
Writing your own GPS reader is pretty easy (as long as you know how to program).
The other areas of emphasis you would need to focus on are routing, re-routing, and scrolling.
Scrolling needs to be done in an asthetic way so that the map jumps around as little as possible (the location icon would jump around until it reaches the map edge, and then the map would recenter onto the location).

My opinion is that CarPC GPS software has a ways to go before it is as good as that provided by Alpine, etc.
It's an untapped market, ripe for the picking.

Pv