Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Boston Acoustics - Opinion Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Wasso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boston Acoustics - Opinion Please

Way back in my ICE days, back when Earthquake made a huge scene there was a brand called Boston Acoustics that would pop up now and again. Boston were deemed as solid players in the sound market but hardly spoken of.

What's their position now, are products such as components, subs and amps a worthy option in today's market?

I had a friend of mine who ran two 8" subs isobaric and the sound was mental.

Opinions please......
Old 02-26-2012, 05:53 AM
BipJip

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boston Acoustics are still on of the best sound speakers out their. i'm an old IASCA guy and i run the pro6.5se in my z, along with 1 jl 10w3v3 in a roadster box. and thanks to e-bay I've collected a few Phoenix gold TI amps and PPI power series amps, when watts were watts and amps were amps (1/2 ohm stablities).
Old 02-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Wasso

Well maybe you could pass your thoughts on this lot. I'd like to go with a full Boston setup, components are easy enough to sort out but the sub(s) I'm a little unsure. Either run a single sub in the oem enclosure or to run two 8" subs issobaric again in the oem location.

I've thought of the following:

Amps
GT-4100 (4x100) running components

GTA-2300 (2x300) running subs

Subs 2xG108 (200rms) enclosed issobaric

Components front and rear (if possible)
Pro50SE
Old 02-26-2012, 04:45 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

bosotn amp impratically sized for our car,
boston subs not the best for the price
bosotn pro 60s are however a perfect choice.
I run alpine amps with imprint time phase and crossover self correction and cannto be happier with how it turned out.. the alpine amps are the exact size of a packet of copier paper.. fit hppily under seats or in the the glovebox, i run2 of them and the power is far higher than the amp yo9u posted above.. 150 x4 at a reasonable rms, and 1000 x 1.. dont care if the sub gets a quarter of that to be honest..

but a full bsotn system will sound great.. but jsut may nmot be the BEST bang for your buck is all... youll be very happy w the mids tho.. buy some door pods and get them out of that tin can door if you can afford it.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Wasso

Agreed the amp's are rather wide shall we say, although I'm planning on installing them in my passenger glove box area. I used to run a NOS system and I had 2x 5Ib bottles in there. I have the area totally stripped out, so my plan is to have them either suspended from the ceiling of the glove box area, or create neat shelving for them. I've just checked the width and have over 600mm so I could accommodate nicely, and with the added depth and height, both would fit without issue.

In terms of price for the amps, I didn't think they were that bad? I remember years ago paying out over $1400 for just one amp (Earthquake) I thought they were a good price.

Subs, I thought again they were priced really well I was expecting the price to be a lot higher being Boston. (What's your thoughts on running 2x8 issobaric in the oem sub encloser - possible?)

I like the sound of the Alpine amps you're running, sound perfect for the Zed. I'm not looking for right out SPL or waking the neighbours, but for sure I want a sound that surpases normal expectations. I love the sound of my Zed, and very rarely have the music loud because I'd rather shout the V6 than a boom box So in terms of power I'd presume their ample for my needs, but still if I was looking for that bit extra and retain my glove box, the Alpines sound perfect.

Agreed price may not be ideal in today's market with the varying competition from other suppliers, but was thinking more directly to the fact Boston will test their own products, so would ideally like to keep the same brand running throughout. (ideally)

So would the door pods really make that much of a difference? I can imagine it would assist with stability, but then I'm out of touch of ICE for the last 15 years.

Cheers for your comments