Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Product Review Pioneer App-Radio 2 SPH-DA100

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:14 AM
morphiusrt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Product Review Pioneer App-Radio 2 SPH-DA100

Product review

I just picked up the new Pioneer App-radio 2 SPH-DA100. Having previously owned the SPH-DA01 all I can say is wow Pioneer you really stepped it up!!!

SPH-DA01 review can be found Here

I little background on my old one. I purchased it at Best Buy with the warranty (thank god) purchased it in June 2011 by August 2011 the iPhone cord stopped playing music out of the passenger side brought the cord back they gave me a new one. Now 7 months later the same thing happens first I was told it would have to be serviced because they discontinued that model. With a sweet talking to manager I convince her to let me get the new one and pay the difference. So $142 later (including the warranty) I now have the App-Radio 2.

Pros (vs SPH-DA01 in parenthesis) :

Instant startup (vs 15second startup)
Bigger screen 7” (vs 6.1”)
Pandora interface seamless and loads very fast
Radio interface improved to the point where I don’t mind listening to the radio
iPod interface fast and seamless
All the audio presets similar to other pioneer radios (rock, vocal etc)
HPF with 6 frequencies
Maps now has an onscreen keyboard
SW preamp and Rear preamp
Touchscreen is much more responsive but still a little laggy (zoom and scroll)
Can be used for Droids (with a separate cord setup which I think is expensive)

Cons:

iPhone cord is still bulky (but better)
Radio goes to black screen sometime out of nowhere
Connector placement in the back is still very poor (all the cords overlap)
Have to install a switch for the parking brake override relay will not work
Pandora still has to be launched from phone (I believe is a phone limitation)
Still can’t get the Nav-Free app to work on the radio

To sum it up this is still a radio for someone who wants basic adjustments and clean sleek look. Don’t expect it to be flawless because you are not going to get that.

I really like this radio and don’t think I will ever go back to the other style radios.

Don't mind the pics it is actually much brighter then it appears.

Name:  11248563.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  96.8 KB
Name:  019bd438.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  88.1 KB
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 AM
JohnG202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I ordered it right after reading it. The head unit shipped yesterday, and I'm waiting for the Android connection kit which doesn't ship till Sunday. Wish they shipped together so I could install the thing. Guess I know what I'm doing Sunday...lol
Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 PM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by morphiusrt
Product review

I just picked up the new Pioneer App-radio 2 SPH-DA100. Having previously owned the SPH-DA01 all I can say is wow Pioneer you really stepped it up!!!

SPH-DA01 review can be found Here

I little background on my old one. I purchased it at Best Buy with the warranty (thank god) purchased it in June 2011 by August 2011 the iPhone cord stopped playing music out of the passenger side brought the cord back they gave me a new one. Now 7 months later the same thing happens first I was told it would have to be serviced because they discontinued that model. With a sweet talking to manager I convince her to let me get the new one and pay the difference. So $142 later (including the warranty) I now have the App-Radio 2.

Pros (vs SPH-DA01 in parenthesis) :

Instant startup (vs 15second startup)
Bigger screen 7” (vs 6.1”)
Pandora interface seamless and loads very fast
Radio interface improved to the point where I don’t mind listening to the radio
iPod interface fast and seamless
All the audio presets similar to other pioneer radios (rock, vocal etc)
HPF with 6 frequencies
Maps now has an onscreen keyboard
SW preamp and Rear preamp
Touchscreen is much more responsive but still a little laggy (zoom and scroll)
Can be used for Droids (with a separate cord setup which I think is expensive)

Cons:

iPhone cord is still bulky (but better)
Radio goes to black screen sometime out of nowhere
Connector placement in the back is still very poor (all the cords overlap)
Have to install a switch for the parking brake override relay will not work
Pandora still has to be launched from phone (I believe is a phone limitation)
Still can’t get the Nav-Free app to work on the radio

To sum it up this is still a radio for someone who wants basic adjustments and clean sleek look. Don’t expect it to be flawless because you are not going to get that.

I really like this radio and don’t think I will ever go back to the other style radios.

Don't mind the pics it is actually much brighter then it appears.

Is that a Metra mounting kit? I used the Metro kit for my single radio and its so-so fitment. Your Double Din looks perfect.

I'm waiting on my Pioneer AVH-P4400BH and picked up a metra install kit hoping it fits better then that single DIN.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM
longsh07

Im looking at getting this head unit and was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me as Im new to the 350z but not to changing head units.

My 350Z has the bose system in it, are you able to tell me what cable harness I would need to connect up the head unit?
Also do the steering wheel controls work?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 AM
morphiusrt

Originally Posted by ian99rt
Is that a Metra mounting kit? I used the Metro kit for my single radio and its so-so fitment. Your Double Din looks perfect.

I'm waiting on my Pioneer AVH-P4400BH and picked up a metra install kit hoping it fits better then that single DIN.
That kit is the American International. I went to one of the good local car audio installers they use nothing but AI. I hated the metra and threw it away after an hour of trying to get it to look perfect.

Originally Posted by longsh07
Im looking at getting this head unit and was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions for me as Im new to the 350z but not to changing head units.

My 350Z has the bose system in it, are you able to tell me what cable harness I would need to connect up the head unit?

Thanks for the advice!
I want to say the bose has the same harness but I have no idea.

As for steering wheel controls. Pac Audio if you don't know a decent amount about wiring and electronics I would leave this step to a professional. If you know what radio you are buying get the part# and buy it off amazon its much less money. Also use the instructions from the pac audio site because the ones that come with the unit are hard to understand.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:00 AM
JohnG202

Originally Posted by longsh07

Thanks for the advice!
There is a different harness for the Bose integration. I used the Metra kit. Part # 70-7551. It has 4 RCAs that are required for the Bose amps to work. I'm still in the process of getting that all straightened out.
Right now I have mine all hooked up but I can't have both the rear speakers and the sub on at the same time. One or the other. I'm currently just using the fronts and the sub. Not real happy about that.
I think I have a bad ground because it isn't very loud. I can turn it all the way up and I don't think I should be able to. I'm going to take it apart this weekend and re-do my grounds.
You will use every wire on the Metra harness. You need to use the blue remote lines as well as all of the grounds. The Bose system has multiple amps so you need to make sure the new head unit you are installing has 4 RCA connections or you will lose speakers.

Axxess makes one that is cheaper than PAC. I haven't done this part of the install yet. From what I've ready it will just be easier to have a pro do it for me.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:23 AM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The axxess module is half the price of the pac unit and only has 5-6 wires to hook up. I'm putting my AVH-p4400bh in tonight. I preassembled the wiring harnesses as much as possible without being in the car ( only have 4 more crimps to make).

I'll report back on axxess module connection and setup.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:12 AM
morphiusrt

Originally Posted by ian99rt
The axxess module is half the price of the pac unit and only has 5-6 wires to hook up. I'm putting my AVH-p4400bh in tonight. I preassembled the wiring harnesses as much as possible without being in the car ( only have 4 more crimps to make).

I'll report back on axxess module connection and setup.
They are the same price on amazon. You have to wire some resistors onto the pac audio one which for most people is a little sketchy. I wonder if the same is required for the Axxess. Let me know how it goes.

I have a slight issue with the pac one my next track button doesn't always work no matter which button I set it at. I don't know if it is a wiring issue or just something that happens. It worked perfect for about 6 months now it seems like everyother time I go to use the button it doesn't work. All others work perfect everytime.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 AM
kz0

I got the same one. Its a great radio. It just sucks that they locked it down so hard. I started a forums for it http://appradioforums.com and I'm trying to hack it for Android. Hopefully I'll have something working soon.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:14 PM
coanan

Do you have a part # for the bezel kit?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:29 AM
morphiusrt

ND-K744

That should be the one.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:55 PM
coanan

ND-K744

That should be the one.
Thanks, just looked it's 06-07 Mine's an 05
Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 PM
nep

On the ND-K744, did you use the metal mounting bracket from the car or did you use the plastic brackets in the kit? Your fitment is perfect.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 AM
morphiusrt

Originally Posted by nep
On the ND-K744, did you use the metal mounting bracket from the car or did you use the plastic brackets in the kit? Your fitment is perfect.
I actually modified the plastic one a bit.

I cut the tabs that connect the radio to the center console. So I can pull the center console out without taking the radio out. The only problem is it took me a lot of fine tuning. Just bolt the finisher piece to the center console and mount the radio to the car itself and keep messing with it until you get it perfect.

No matter what I did with the radio attached to the center I wasn't completely happy with it. And my OCD would not let me leave a mediocre install, I tried to tell myself it looks fine but after driving for an hour or so I would decide I needed to pull it out and fix it.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Collin Lacy

Is that the new one of the same family, or is that the new one's upgrade? Because there is also a DA02 available which seems more likely the replacement of the DA01, and yours is a upper end model. Looks like you got a great radio, I just wonder if the one that's ~$150 right now has the same problems as your old DA01.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 AM
morphiusrt

I think they upgraded the cord which was my main issue with it. Not to mention startup time too. But for $100+ I would just get the Appradio 2 it is a much better radio then the 1.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM
nep

I actually modified the plastic one a bit.

I cut the tabs that connect the radio to the center console. So I can pull the center console out without taking the radio out. The only problem is it took me a lot of fine tuning. Just bolt the finisher piece to the center console and mount the radio to the car itself and keep messing with it until you get it perfect.

No matter what I did with the radio attached to the center I wasn't completely happy with it. And my OCD would not let me leave a mediocre install, I tried to tell myself it looks fine but after driving for an hour or so I would decide I needed to pull it out and fix it.
Thanks a lot for your quick response. Only part I didn't fully comprehend is in bold, but I'll read through it a couple more times to see if it settles in.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 AM
chickenputo

that's the cleanest install I've seen in a Z. Hope I can get mine installed just as cleanly.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM
morphiusrt

Originally Posted by chickenputo
that's the cleanest install I've seen in a Z. Hope I can get mine installed just as cleanly.
Thank you

Originally Posted by nep
Thanks a lot for your quick response. Only part I didn't fully comprehend is in bold, but I'll read through it a couple more times to see if it settles in.
Sorry just saw this.

So the plastic finisher piece with the rounded edges (fills the gap between the radio and the console) has to be mounted to the console with the 4 screws on the inside.

Then take the bracket that supports the radio and mount it with the radio to the car. This part will take some adjusting to get it perfect but be patient and you can have a clean install to.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Zkilla101

Hey I have the same set up with the app radio 2. Everything works perfect except the app. Pandora is ok, radio, etc. but when I click on apps it says if the screen doesn't show up in a few seconds then launch the appradio app on the phone. I do that and still nothing... Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Product Review Pioneer App-Radio 2 SPH-DA100