Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

eBay Audio Sales

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Bogeygolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay Audio Sales

I'd like to buy my Alpine 9807 headunit from an eBay retailer, since I'd be saving about $80, plus my MB Quart PCE 6.5's would save me another $280 off retail. Every shop I go to and try to get quotes on for install say they'll do it, but they all really push not going online since I don't get a warranty. I'm not too worried about getting speakers online, but do you think it's worth the $80 to get the Alpine from the dealer so it's guaranteed?

Anyone had any problems with their gear buying online, and and recommendations on the cheapest online sellers that you know sell quality, non-refurbs?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2004, 08:08 PM
the O.Z.

You should still get the factory warranty as long as the parts are new. Any authorized dealer should have to honor the warranty. Thats what I've always understood anyway...
Old 01-03-2004, 08:18 PM
dmcgibbo

Originally posted by the O.Z.
You should still get the factory warranty as long as the parts are new. Any authorized dealer should have to honor the warranty. Thats what I've always understood anyway...

NO! When you buy an Alpine stereo online you may be getting (even if they say it is new and unopened in the listing)...

1) refurbished model
2) model without serial numbers
3) defective model that the reseller buys a complete lot of

i have an alpine 7897 that i am going to sell that i purchased from an authorized Alpine dealer. it is still under warranty (it is transferrable) and has an extended warranty and it is very plain that if you didn't buy it from an authorized reseller, you can't get warranty service for it. they are serious about this...
Old 01-03-2004, 08:49 PM
the O.Z.

Originally posted by dmcgibbo
NO! When you buy an Alpine stereo online you may be getting (even if they say it is new and unopened in the listing)...

1) refurbished model
2) model without serial numbers
3) defective model that the reseller buys a complete lot of

i have an alpine 7897 that i am going to sell that i purchased from an authorized Alpine dealer. it is still under warranty (it is transferrable) and has an extended warranty and it is very plain that if you didn't buy it from an authorized reseller, you can't get warranty service for it. they are serious about this...
Welll yeah if the seller is lying that is different than if you just simply buy something off of ebay. If we are talking about the likely hood of getting screwed... that is totally different than your warranty not being good just cuz you bought something off of ebay. I assumed the the latter.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:51 PM
dmcgibbo

Welll yeah if the seller is lying that is different than if you just simply buy something off of ebay. If we are talking about the likely hood of getting screwed... that is totally different than your warranty not being good just cuz you bought something off of ebay. I assumed the the latter.
no you misunderstood me. since it is sold from a non-authorized reseller, alpine will NOT honor the warranty. there is a reason the stereo receivers are cheaper on Ebay - the seller buys lots of refurbished, non-new, etc. units and even if they are new and legit, they are NOT warrantied. if nothing breaks, you are fine but if something breaks or you want to resell it, you may have difficulty...
Old 01-04-2004, 01:18 AM
djbit

Go ebay dude. I'ved purchased all my stuff from IKESOUND.com and have had a great experience aswell as saved a bunch of cash. It's been a year and everything is running perfect. I will never again get ripped off by Circuit City again.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:34 AM
the O.Z.

Originally posted by dmcgibbo
no you misunderstood me. since it is sold from a non-authorized reseller, alpine will NOT honor the warranty. there is a reason the stereo receivers are cheaper on Ebay - the seller buys lots of refurbished, non-new, etc. units and even if they are new and legit, they are NOT warrantied. if nothing breaks, you are fine but if something breaks or you want to resell it, you may have difficulty...
Who says that ebay sellers can't be authorized dealers? Lots of stereo shops use ebay as an outlet to sell. Like I said... before... It doesnt matter where you buy it from. It matters if it is NEW or not. Alpine... by law... has to honor its warranty on a new product regardless of where it came from. If it refurbished, used, or a blem... that is a different story.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:35 AM
mgk65

It matters what the manufacturer says. Check with them first.

Some, like Alpine, allow only certain retailers to see their products and may not authorize any internet/mail order sales.

There is no law that keeps them doing this. Law only applies if they tell you one thing and do another.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:42 AM
dmcgibbo

Who says that ebay sellers can't be authorized dealers? Lots of stereo shops use ebay as an outlet to sell. Like I said... before... It doesnt matter where you buy it from. It matters if it is NEW or not. Alpine... by law... has to honor its warranty on a new product regardless of where it came from. If it refurbished, used, or a blem... that is a different story.

WRONG. how does alpine tell it's new? they can't. why would it matter if it was new - if i purchase a car and then resell it, the warranty is usually transferrable even though it is used.

alpine only ships products to certain sellers which are authorized. all the other sellers that are selling it for cheaper (b/c authorized sellers HAVE to sell the products for at least a certain amount to protect Alpine's brand image and business profits) get it from refurbished lots, used lots, stolen lots, or bulk purchases that aren't authorized. it's not rocket science - you get what you pay for and sometimes it doesn't matter and you'll be fine but other times you will be screwed.

to perform service, your Alpine unit must be accompanied with the receipt and matching serial number from an authorized seller which they have a list of. Alpine actually does not allow ANY online sales so if you buy it online, it is NOT authorized and is NOT warrantied. Businesses get away with this in part b/c they actually sell it to you not online (like Circuit City, etc.) or they have brick and mortar authorized retail places to feed it through.

It is just like watches - you can buy a brand new Rolex watch on Ebay with a real serial number, never used, not stolen or anything shady, from a real person that provides a receipt - but when you need service for your watch, Rolex will NOT honor the warranty and the hundred bucks you saved is a wash since you now would have to pay several hundred for a usually warrantied item - so what people then do is put that watch up for sale on Ebay for another sucker to buy.

Geez stop being so naive!
Old 01-04-2004, 11:57 AM
lascala26

Ebay is the way to go. Read the fine print for the seller though. Some ebay retailer sell refurb. equipment. Others sell new, factory packed equipment. Purchased all my Pioneer Premier equipment from Ebay. Saved a ton compared to what Tweeter was charging. There is low overhead on Ebay which allows many retailers to discount the products they sell.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:07 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: eBay Audio Sales

Originally posted by Bogeygolf
I'd like to buy my Alpine 9807 headunit from an eBay retailer, since I'd be saving about $80, plus my MB Quart PCE 6.5's would save me another $280 off retail.
I just ordered the PCE-216's from ikesound.com for $259. I'll let you know when get them.