Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My Kenwood KDC-X996 install (Car dock and external mic integrated)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 AM
gzrecoil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Kenwood KDC-X996 install (Car dock and external mic integrated)

Hey guys, the unit is pretty nice so I figured I would share my install in case anyone else was looking for ideas to integrate their car dock and hands free.

I mounted the microphone in the drivers side pillar, and attached my car dock to the USB out on the head unit(which charges at .5 or 1amp).

Looks much nicer after I tucked the wires, and I can still unplug the car dock and plug it in the outlet if I want to use an IPOD instead(although I don't own an ipod and stream via bluetooth).

I was skeptical to buy a single din, but the double dins were ugly, less functional, & more expensive, and I bypassed the touchscreen because I really like Google Navigation compared to head units navigation features.

I did solder in the wire for the antenna amp/booster, but HD radio still cuts out here and there, about 25 miles from Philadelphia. This is kind of annoying, but I can live with it.

Other than the HD radio cutting out, not much I can complain about. I did have the unit freeze up using A2DP(could be my alpha rom causing it) and one other time it stopped playing sound and needed a hard reset. Each time you hard reset you lose all settings, so having done this twice now I am more than frustrated.

Bluetooth works great after I updated the firmware of the headunit to version 4, I am running an Alpha Ice Cream sandwich rom for the motorola Atrix, 4.04.

The call clarity with the included microphone is great, although I am frustrated I can't figure out how to trigger voice command mode o_0

Specs on HU:
22watt RMS
Bluetooth compatible (A2DP & AVRCP, not just voice profile)
Ipod compatible
Pandora compatible
Sirius compatible(adapter needed)
HD radio
Three 4V pre-amps
13 band EQ, built in DSP 24 bit analog to digital converter
3.5MM AUX

Now I just need to buy speakers, amps, and a sub... This could be a while off though. Respray, clutch, and suspension are definitely my first priorities.

I would like to build a box for a 10" W6 behind my seat(12" if it fit), but I hear varying degrees of SQL when using that location even when building your own box in there. I absolutely cannot lose the area under my strut brace because I use my trunk a lot.

I was thinking of maybe adding a 2nd pod 10" W6 behind the drivers side with fiberglass but I don't know if I want to rack up that much money for an install and added costs for bigger amp & second sub.

Pics below, enjoy

Head unit fully installed

Car dock wire routed into dash

External MIC mounted to drivers side pillar

Last edited by gzrecoil; 05-14-2012 at 11:16 AM.