Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Aftermarket HU with BOSE speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 04:18 PM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Don't forget to snap some pics!

Originally posted by frankmusic
Chris,

Whatever path you decide to take when you're ready for the much anticipated audio adventure......please capture the event by taking a few good photos. I'm sure that we'd all like to see how you made out with your task.

You can count on that! ;-)

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-12-2004, 10:13 AM
ChrisMCagle

Talking It's a success!!

Well, I got the Clarion installed this weekend and everything plugged together beautifully and the sound is AwEsOmE!!!! I am SOOOO glad that I didn't spend any more money on new speakers and/or amp because the BOSE stuff works great! I am planning to make it to the new club meeting tonight at Performance Nissan if anyone is interested in seeing/hearing the new setup.

The only negative thing that I can say is that my radio reception has suffered a bit with the new setup, but it's not that big of a deal to me because I usually listen to CD's anyway and if I really need radio, I can get SIRIUS now with the new HU. :-D

I ended up using the PAC ROEM-NIS2, which is their kit that includes the "OEM-1" part and the two Nissan connectors for each side to connect the Clarion Head Unit with the factory BOSE speakers/amp. Quick and easy.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get some free time.

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-27-2004, 04:22 AM
grifferjr

Default Re: It's a success!!

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Well, I got the Clarion installed this weekend and everything plugged together beautifully and the sound is AwEsOmE!!!! I am SOOOO glad that I didn't spend any more money on new speakers and/or amp because the BOSE stuff works great! I am planning to make it to the new club meeting tonight at Performance Nissan if anyone is interested in seeing/hearing the new setup.

The only negative thing that I can say is that my radio reception has suffered a bit with the new setup, but it's not that big of a deal to me because I usually listen to CD's anyway and if I really need radio, I can get SIRIUS now with the new HU. :-D

I ended up using the PAC ROEM-NIS2, which is their kit that includes the "OEM-1" part and the two Nissan connectors for each side to connect the Clarion Head Unit with the factory BOSE speakers/amp. Quick and easy.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get some free time.

-Chrismcagle
thanks for the chronology of your trials, tribulations and thankfully in the end your success. i am thinking of doing the exact same thing with the exact same bose system. only difference is i was going to do the pioneer avh6500, a little less extravagant then your new HU. i will eventually upgrade to better speakers and amp but if i can get by with just the new hu and dvd system all the better right now. i eagerly await pics of the new system to see how it looked in the dash. please post !!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:23 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Hey ChrisMCagle

I'll definitely document the install as well as the outcome for everyone.

AndyB, thanks for the link, however those units look a lot more involved that what I have been told about and are a lot more expensive . For example, the P.I.E. HRC-NISS95 1995-2000 Nissan Headunit Replacement Converter says that it does what I'm looking for, and it's only $49.00 rather than $149.00. I have also been told about the Soundgate OEM4A and OEM2 units, but I can't find a price for them. There is such a broad range in prices and I don't want to spend $149.00 on something when a $49.00 thing works just fine... ya know what I mean??

-Chrismcagle
I do know what you mean. The non adjustable converters are cheaper and they probably work fine.

Since my installation requires 4 channels I would need 2 soundgates (I think they just make 2 channel units right?).

Since I am keeping my HU, I wanted the cabel link harness (also from LinkMeUp.com). With the cable and the LOC it all plugs together painlessly. That's partly why I got the AudioLink, because as a system it is pretty convenient to install behind the HU. It is also adjustable if I run in to snags making things connect up.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Losing-Grip

Default Re: Aftermarket HU with BOSE speakers?

I've done a lot of searching but cannot find a difinitive answer to my question...

I want to replace the BOSE Head Unit in my Touring model 350Z with one of the following two HU's:

Clarion VRX935VD
Pioneer AVH-P7500DVD

My question is, can I just swap the BOSE HU with the new HU and keep the BOSE speakers and/or amp? Will it work? I am looking to go the cheapest possible route.

Please let me know

-Chrismcagle
this may or may not help you. i had an RSX type S before my Z and had the Headunit swapped for a Pioneer 940MP Premier. i noticed right away that it sounded better and got louder. now im not sure if they used the amp but i beleive they did since the stock speakers are at 2ohm, not 4ohm like aftermarket speakers. well all i know is, it worked. eventually i did replaced the amp, sub, and speakers in my RSX. so i beleive you can. all you need to make sure is that the Bose amp receives a audio signal and transmitts that into sound. i think its when you replace the amp, sub or speakers that you cant use the bose system.

john
Old 02-05-2004, 10:44 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Re: Aftermarket HU with BOSE speakers?

Originally posted by Losing-Grip
this may or may not help you. i had an RSX type S before my Z and had the Headunit swapped for a Pioneer 940MP Premier. i noticed right away that it sounded better and got louder. now im not sure if they used the amp but i beleive they did since the stock speakers are at 2ohm, not 4ohm like aftermarket speakers. well all i know is, it worked. eventually i did replaced the amp, sub, and speakers in my RSX. so i beleive you can. all you need to make sure is that the Bose amp receives a audio signal and transmitts that into sound. i think its when you replace the amp, sub or speakers that you cant use the bose system.

john
John,

Thanks for the info, but I did get everything installed already. I am however having some problems which I put into a new thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=59752

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-20-2022, 01:33 PM
red4

Smile okay but are there separate wires to connect for the factory amp and sub?

Originally Posted by AndyB
To run the Bose amps and speakers from a normal head unit you would need level converters. The Bose amps are expecting a differential input but aftermarket stereos typically have "line outs" or "speaker outs" (usually both).

That said, the Bose amps and speakers are the worst part of the system. Putting a decent headunit on the Bose amps and speakers would (in my opinion) be a waste of time and money. the sound would probably be as poor as the stock setup. (the Bose speakers are junk, and the amps have some really wierd EQs in them).

If you want to stay "sort of cheap" you can buy a high power head unit and drive new speakers directly with it. You could then add an amp later if you need more power.

okay so the wiring harness i got has the rca cables to plug into the new head unit BUT there were no wires for the factory amp or sub and now it doesnt work, there was a blue wire with a white line and the matching ground, so i connected the blue with a white stripe to the signal wire that goes to the head unit, and the matching ground to the signal ground, but the sub isnt working, any suggestions?

Old 01-20-2022, 05:59 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,263 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by red4
okay so the wiring harness i got has the rca cables to plug into the new head unit BUT there were no wires for the factory amp or sub and now it doesnt work, there was a blue wire with a white line and the matching ground, so i connected the blue with a white stripe to the signal wire that goes to the head unit, and the matching ground to the signal ground, but the sub isnt working, any suggestions?

Time honored hack:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-te2bbN...UaAuGrEALw_wcB