Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Can I put a Subwoofer with an amp if i keep stock HU

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012 | 07:44 PM
radiivan

Default Can I put a Subwoofer with an amp if i keep stock HU

Hey guys, i am new to this site, ive searched a little and cant seem to find my answer, so do any of you guys know if i can keep my stock head unit and put in a sub woofer and an amp?
do any of you guys know of anyone that has done it ?
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Old 11-12-2012 | 09:21 PM
3rd_gear

You can get a converter that converts one of the +/- speaker wires to RCA and then plug that into amp for sub.
I've done it in my 240sx, when i was a broke teenager.

Last edited by 3rd_gear; 11-12-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2012 | 01:51 AM
radiivan

thanks man!
i dont know much about cars and i was actually looking to do this myself but im almost clue less, i googled how to do it and some people talk about making a hole through the fire wall but some have a hole where they can just run the wires through, so do you know where i could find a step by step guide or anything like that on how to do in on a 04 350z?
thanks again.
Old 11-13-2012 | 04:45 AM
bender

Originally Posted by radiivan
Hey guys, i am new to this site, ive searched a little and cant seem to find my answer, so do any of you guys know if i can keep my stock head unit and put in a sub woofer and an amp?
do any of you guys know of anyone that has done it ?
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
A better question would be why bother? For less than $100 you can get a single din unit that will play mp3 cds, ipods, thumbdrives, and have an aux input. Not to mention it's going to sound a lot better than your stock headunit.

Why go through all that trouble and have the stock headunit bottleneck your new system? The stock headunits are limited to traditional cd's and half the time it can't even do that right.

Is there a reason why you want to keep your stock headunit? I know a lot of guys are worried that an aftermarket radio "ruins" the flow of their interior. I have the Metra Din Kit and it fits great and usually comes free if you buy a receiver from crutchfield. A lot of headunits will allow you to change the light up button colors so you can can a close match also.
Old 11-13-2012 | 05:12 AM
beezee

Read here and you will understand why you would be better off doing what bender is suggesting in the previous post
http://g35driver.com/forums/audio-vi...-stock-hu.html
Old 11-13-2012 | 09:03 AM
superlim9

There is plenty of room in the grommet from the battery compartment to run you power cables. I did this a few months back putting my amp in the glove box and using the hole for the nonexistent light to run all my cables. I did speaker line inputs to my amp with a crossover just to bide my time to save up for a nav system... the stock head unit by no means puts out enough power to sound good but it its enough to extend the range of the stock system. With that being said if you don't know much about your car or cars in general... don't attempt it. Chances are you'll end up with lost pieces and broken clips pulling the interior out... and then you'll have rattles for ever... save some money and get a shop to put one in right... even if you give hem a box of parts and just pay for labor.
Old 11-13-2012 | 04:31 PM
radiivan

Originally Posted by bender
A better question would be why bother? For less than $100 you can get a single din unit that will play mp3 cds, ipods, thumbdrives, and have an aux input. Not to mention it's going to sound a lot better than your stock headunit.

Why go through all that trouble and have the stock headunit bottleneck your new system? The stock headunits are limited to traditional cd's and half the time it can't even do that right.

Is there a reason why you want to keep your stock headunit? I know a lot of guys are worried that an aftermarket radio "ruins" the flow of their interior. I have the Metra Din Kit and it fits great and usually comes free if you buy a receiver from crutchfield. A lot of headunits will allow you to change the light up button colors so you can can a close match also.

no offense superlim9 but i am one of those guys that think an aftermarket radio does kinda mess up the flow or look of the interior, i can honestly say that a double din would be the only thing id replace my stock HU for, but i dont have all that money now so all i can do is save up, i know i should have bought the HU first, then the sub but i got a good deal on the system. do you have a picture of what yours looks like though ?

and beezee thanks for that, like i said earlier though i rather save up enough for a double din.
Old 11-13-2012 | 04:34 PM
radiivan

Originally Posted by superlim9
There is plenty of room in the grommet from the battery compartment to run you power cables. I did this a few months back putting my amp in the glove box and using the hole for the nonexistent light to run all my cables. I did speaker line inputs to my amp with a crossover just to bide my time to save up for a nav system... the stock head unit by no means puts out enough power to sound good but it its enough to extend the range of the stock system. With that being said if you don't know much about your car or cars in general... don't attempt it. Chances are you'll end up with lost pieces and broken clips pulling the interior out... and then you'll have rattles for ever... save some money and get a shop to put one in right... even if you give hem a box of parts and just pay for labor.
thanks man, ill take that into thought, i just wanna start working on a car and since i bought this car (04 350z) as a toy car i dont mind if something goes wrong and then id take it up, my point is i have to start somewhere.
Old 11-25-2012 | 11:41 AM
johnb18769

Default all this is ran off stock head unit....

I used a line output converter in a guys 350Z he wanted to keep stock HU for the looks and wanted to keep the Bose system. I tapped into the +& - wires leading into the factory 10 and made sure it had a good ground. its easy to get to and you don't have to take apart the dash to get to any wires. you can also tap into the rear speakers if you don't have the Bose system.

Amazon Amazon
Attached Thumbnails Can I put a Subwoofer with an amp if i keep stock HU-img_0306.jpg   Can I put a Subwoofer with an amp if i keep stock HU-img_0302.jpg