Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Voltage Drop with Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 12:10 PM
AtomicX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Drop with Subwoofer

Right now on my 03 350, I have a 1000.1DX kicker amp and 2 10'' kicker compvr subwoofers in a sealed box. I have my Bass Boost and Gain only about 1/4 of the way up, but for some reason when I have my volume loud and the bass hits my volt meter goes crazy. I have a 1 Farad Cap aswell. The subwoofer is not even super crazy loud when this happens IMO.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Dan Garcia

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

get a larger capacity farad, maybe the 1 farad can't handle the power surge from your system.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Collin Lacy

Gain isn't a volume ****, its a voltage match ****.

Capacitors just put more strain on your system. Try taking the one you have in there OUT and see if that changes anything.

What size wiring kit did you use? Is it OFC or CCA? Have you thought about doing the Big 3? What kind of battery do you have? Go buy a Die Hard Platinum.

Is your amp grounded properly?
Old 06-16-2013, 06:00 PM
orgasm_donor

Originally Posted by Dan Garcia
get a larger capacity farad, maybe the 1 farad can't handle the power surge from your system.
Nope.

Originally Posted by Collin Lacy
Gain isn't a volume ****, its a voltage match ****.

Capacitors just put more strain on your system. Try taking the one you have in there OUT and see if that changes anything.

What size wiring kit did you use? Is it OFC or CCA? Have you thought about doing the Big 3? What kind of battery do you have? Go buy a Die Hard Platinum.

Is your amp grounded properly?
Yup.

A thousand watts is not all that much these days. There are a few things to check:

- Make sure that your subs are not wired out of phase! This will cause your amp to work hard, provide very little bass and do nasty things to your ears.

- Make sure you have a good, healthy ground! Both at the amp/body as well as the battery

- Check your battery. If you have a dead cell, bad things will happen.

- Please remove the cap. If the cap is not charging properly, this could adversely affect your charging system and be more of a strain than help.

I have just under 3000 watts RMS in my 350Z with a good AGM battery, big three ground and alternator wire upgrade with no cap whatsoever. Even at 142.9 DB's my voltage only drops a tiny bit.

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 PM
yomike007

1.) make sure your subs are wired properly (series, parallel) to match the proper ohms your amp puts out.
2.) check your amps ground. Make it as short as possible to an actual metal point on the car's chassis.
3.) remove your capacitor to see the effect.