Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

MB Quart ONX216 Component Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:07 AM
ainfante21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MB Quart ONX216 Component Install

Just a heads up for anyone looking to buy MB Quart ONX216 Components for the front doors; they do fit. We used the stock speaker with the speaker cut out and jigsawed a piece of 1/2" (very important that it's 1/2"!) plywood for the additional space so it wouldn't hit the window OR the door panel. Here is a picture of the set up of placement for the crossover and the custom 1/2" plywood behind the stock spacer.

MB Quart ONX216 Component Install-ei7szjq.jpg
Old 07-12-2013, 05:10 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Nice, clean install. But how do they sound? What kind of power are you running them off of?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 PM
ainfante21

Thanks man, so far so good. Installing MB Quart 116 Coaxials in the rear as we speak. Running it out of a Pioneer AVIC 140BH head unit. I'll let you know when it's all done!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:08 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice fit. Some sound deadening in the door is always helpful
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

How do you like them?

I bought a coaxial 6.5" set for my Civic a few years back and was really dissapointed in them. The sound wasnt as good as I thought, they barely had any more treble than my OE paper speakers. I wish I wouldve gone with Kickers instead.

Im sure the components will sound better though!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:32 AM
ainfante21

Originally Posted by DarkCreep
How do you like them?

I bought a coaxial 6.5" set for my Civic a few years back and was really dissapointed in them. The sound wasnt as good as I thought, they barely had any more treble than my OE paper speakers. I wish I wouldve gone with Kickers instead.

Im sure the components will sound better though!
Yeah I see what you're saying with the coaxials, they're pretty much a low/mid speaker even though they have a tweeter built-in. Not many highs being produced from the coaxs, but the components have plenty of highs for sure. I actually love them, they'll sound great in the future when I add a sub. They were what just about what I expected and Amazon had them for a great price.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:34 AM
ainfante21

Originally Posted by beezee
Nice fit. Some sound deadening in the door is always helpful
Absolutely, I'm going to fatmat or dynamat most of the car when I put in my sub in the future.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:04 PM
beezee

Originally Posted by ainfante21
Absolutely, I'm going to fatmat or dynamat most of the car when I put in my sub in the future.
Well here is my advice. I used FatMat in my entire car except for the area in the front floor where those white foams are. It made a difference and I defended Fatmat in lots of threads. Then I decided to use Dynamat to complete the front area that was left. Now i wish i could go back and easily rip out the FatMat. I had some extra Dynamat so i managed to rip out most of the fatMat in the hatch. (I was still having rattles). I then used Dynamat and no more rattles at all. In short i have used both and to be honest Dynamat is worth the extra cost. Now if you still want to use FatMat then save money and use Peel and Seal from Lowes. They are the exact same material both in quality and smell but costs way cheaper. There are others that some members have used and swear by them and cost cheaper as well
Please take my advice now and don't do what i did by ignoring the advice not to use Fatmat
Old 07-13-2013, 07:47 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Having a separate amp to run the MBQs up front will make a BIG difference. I've got an older model that still performs after over a decade in my Z. You can read more about it in my review: http://www.epinions.com/review/pr-Mb...t_111890697860
Old 07-14-2013, 04:13 AM
ainfante21

Well here is my advice. I used FatMat in my entire car except for the area in the front floor where those white foams are. It made a difference and I defended Fatmat in lots of threads. Then I decided to use Dynamat to complete the front area that was left. Now i wish i could go back and easily rip out the FatMat. I had some extra Dynamat so i managed to rip out most of the fatMat in the hatch. (I was still having rattles). I then used Dynamat and no more rattles at all. In short i have used both and to be honest Dynamat is worth the extra cost. Now if you still want to use FatMat then save money and use Peel and Seal from Lowes. They are the exact same material both in quality and smell but costs way cheaper. There are others that some members have used and swear by them and cost cheaper as well
Please take my advice now and don't do what i did by ignoring the advice not to use Fatmat
OK cool, I appreciate the honest feedback. I will definitely get it done right the first time, cheap is expensive in the long run.

Last edited by ainfante21; 07-15-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:22 AM
ainfante21

Originally Posted by dkmura
Having a separate amp to run the MBQs up front will make a BIG difference. I've got an older model that still performs after over a decade in my Z. You can read more about it in my review: http://www.epinions.com/review/pr-Mb...t_111890697860
Great review, sounds like something I should definitely look into. You have stock rear speakers? I just swapped mine to the MB Quart 216 coaxs, wondering if the amp will be overkill in the front with pretty good speakers in the rear...
Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 AM
Bobgill1420

I'm running mbq's up front on a seperate amp they sound great
Old 07-14-2013, 06:13 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by ainfante21
Great review, sounds like something I should definitely look into. You have stock rear speakers? I just swapped mine to the MB Quart 216 coaxs, wondering if the amp will be overkill in the front with pretty good speakers in the rear...
Thanks. As for the rear speakers, I went for exactly what you have. Those MBQ coaxs add just enough rear fill to help the front soundstage.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:28 AM
beezee

When you are all done, just as an experiment, fade all the way to the front (to eliminate the rears) and see. You MAY end up leaving the rears out. The rears in the Z always touch off debate. It all depends on listening preferences so just try it and see. I did and now have all my rear speakers faded out. Sounds a lot amazing to me. Also down the road when money becomes available, consider door pods or better yet kick panel pods.
You get the most out of your system. I started out in the doors as you have now. Sounded good. I then went to door pods. They sounded better. I have them in Kick panels now and I am not looking back
Old 07-15-2013, 04:44 AM
ainfante21

Thumbs up

Great input guys, appreciate it... I will look into an amp/pods soon... Later in the future Zenclosures will be getting some business from me, only want to put a 10" sub in the back, don't want to go W7 crazy or anything like that; I'd just like a nice kick.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Collin Lacy

When you are all done, just as an experiment, fade all the way to the front (to eliminate the rears) and see. You MAY end up leaving the rears out. The rears in the Z always touch off debate. It all depends on listening preferences so just try it and see. I did and now have all my rear speakers faded out. Sounds a lot amazing to me. Also down the road when money becomes available, consider door pods or better yet kick panel pods.
You get the most out of your system. I started out in the doors as you have now. Sounded good. I then went to door pods. They sounded better. I have them in Kick panels now and I am not looking back
This! I love my kick panels! Though some people swear by door pods, and I've been told you get better midbass if you have them in the doors.