Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need help! Steering wheel swap for aftermarket HU audio controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 PM
superkatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Steering wheel swap for aftermarket HU audio controls

Okay so this is my first post in these forum's so I'm hoping I'm doing this right and am able to find someone who's done this before and can guide or direct me in the right direction. Anyhow here's the full story of what I'm attempting to do.

I currently have an 04 350Z Roadster (Convertible) that has the factory Bose 6CD/Tape deck and built in cruise control on the steering wheel. All good so far.

Now I purchased another 350Z steering wheel with both cruise and audio controls from I'm guessing a newer 350Z with full options...? As well as a brand new Alpine INE-W927HD double din with an Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control adapter designed to make the steering wheel audio buttons work with aftermarket head units. All new and factory fresh.

Now my custom audio installer was able to install the Double Din in replacement of the Factory Bose head unit and custom speakers without issues except for the fact that he says he simply can't just swap out the steering wheels and connect the audio controller because he believes the wiring is missing from where the deck is located to the steering wheel controls. Checked both the previous deck and steering wheel and nada in terms of cable/wiring.

Would he be correct in that assumption considering the car never had steering wheel controls to begin with? If so is there a cable I need to buy in order to connect my new wheel to the controller which connects to the new head unit?
Or does he have to splice into the existing wiring in order to make it work like I originally planned?

I'd really like to get steering wheel controls work with my brand new head unit since it's got so many kool features that I'd like to take advantage without having to take my hands off the wheel...And yes I know the touch screen deck isn't far away at all but if it can be done I'm willing to put in the time and effort

He asked me to do some research on my own and find out what's needed in order to avoid any confusion and headaches before he starts taking things apart and wasting hours splicing into cables and such. I'm not too familiar with wiring cars/radio/electrical so if anyone can help me out with this that'd be amazing...Thanks in advance to all those who reply with their helpful advice, these forums and members are awesome.

SK

Last edited by superkatt; 07-29-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:12 AM
BY350z

Need help! Steering wheel swap for aftermarket HU audio controls-image.jpg

https://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...t-install.html
Old 07-30-2013, 04:22 AM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-30-2013, 04:32 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

on mine they were integrated with the factory harness.... steering wheel controls are nice, but its not like the radio is that far from your right hand.......
Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 AM
superkatt

Thanks guys for the quick response and links, I'll relay this info to my installer and see what he says...I tried searching through the forums but never came across this post...

Yah I know the deck is within arms reach but when you got one hand on the wheel and one arm around the girl it's kinda hard to decide which one to let go first

Thanks again guys!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Collin Lacy

Try doing it with a manual. My girlfriend likes to put her hand on top of mine while its on the shifter, and always looks mad when I shift quickly or reach up to fiddle with the radio.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:57 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts