Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Newb With Audio, Need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Bao Tran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb With Audio, Need HELP!

Hello I just ordered some audio stuff to replace my OEM Speakers- they sound like trash bags....

350z Dual 10" Sub Box

two 10" Kickers C10 4ohm 300W Peak 150W Rms

Two 6.5" Kickers CS65 4ohm 300W Peak 100W Rms

AMP: Pioneer GM-D8604 600Rms Class FM 4 Channel

Head Unit: Pioneer FH-X700BT

----
What other stuff Do I need? Like accessories? Because Once everything gets here, I would like to just install it.
And how do you think of the setup? Decent?
Sorry for the newb post but anyhelp is needed, first time doing this!
I've been searching google and yahoo. But still is quite a bit confuse.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 PM
07maximan

Wiring...

RCA's,4 ga. power and ground and some decent speaker wires. Dont skimp on this stuff it does make a difference. I have more invested in wiring than most have in their whole system.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Bao Tran

Originally Posted by 07maximan
Wiring...

RCA's,4 ga. power and ground and some decent speaker wires. Dont skimp on this stuff it does make a difference. I have more invested in wiring than most have in their whole system.
How much do you think it'll cause me? An arm and a toe? lol I've already exceeded my limit :/
Old 11-21-2013, 02:46 PM
07maximan

You dont have to go crazy...100.00 or less. Make sure to buy some decent quality RCA's at least.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:07 PM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

RCA's are where you can kinda skimp. As long as they are twisted pairs you're good. Scosche from walmart works just fine.

I'd look at Shok Industries or Sky High car audio for wire. They have some great stuff.

To wire your speakers I'd go with 14 gauge. 16 would probably work but I don't like using that for very long runs.

You also need a dash kit and wiring adapter for the head unit.

Might also look into some speaker adapters for the door. I didn't know they made them and had to make 1" spacer rings for my mids because the window would hit the magnet when you rolled it down.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Bao Tran

Originally Posted by 92K1500
RCA's are where you can kinda skimp. As long as they are twisted pairs you're good. Scosche from walmart works just fine.

I'd look at Shok Industries or Sky High car audio for wire. They have some great stuff.

To wire your speakers I'd go with 14 gauge. 16 would probably work but I don't like using that for very long runs.

Might also look into some speaker adapters for the door. I didn't know they made them and had to make 1" spacer rings for my mids because the window would hit the magnet when you rolled it down.
Do I have to remove anything from the back of the HeadUnit? Since The Stock Sub and Rear is not removed?
Old 11-21-2013, 04:09 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you going to be running your speakers off the amp?

Im using OE wires for my speakers and it sounds fine.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:14 PM
07maximan

This is one of those things that could go either way for me. I know people say all RCAs are the same but if you're putting 1000.00 or more in a system why not just spend a little more on cabling?? Does it make a difference, probably not but just a little piece of mind knowing I'm using quality cables.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:53 PM
92K1500

Originally Posted by Bao Tran
Do I have to remove anything from the back of the HeadUnit? Since The Stock Sub and Rear is not removed?
I'm guessing you have bose?

I couldn't tell you about integrating into it. I ripped all of it out and ran all new stuff.

Originally Posted by DarkCreep
Are you going to be running your speakers off the amp?

Im using OE wires for my speakers and it sounds fine.

I originally tried to use the stock wiring but I couldn't find the correct wires in the harness. Plus they were way too small. I ended up running 2 runs of 14awg to each door to run active.

Originally Posted by 07maximan
This is one of those things that could go either way for me. I know people say all RCAs are the same but if you're putting 1000.00 or more in a system why not just spend a little more on cabling?? Does it make a difference, probably not but just a little piece of mind knowing I'm using quality cables.

I've used a bunch of different price range RCA's and I could never tell the difference. The non twisted ones are more susceptible to picking up interference though.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Bao Tran

I'm guessing you have bose?

I couldn't tell you about integrating into it. I ripped all of it out and ran all new stuff.

I originally tried to use the stock wiring but I couldn't find the correct wires in the harness. Plus they were way too small. I ended up running 2 runs of 14awg to each door to run active.

I've used a bunch of different price range RCA's and I could never tell the difference. The non twisted ones are more susceptible to picking up interference though.
I'm requiring my Front Speakers, Cause I want to run my Front Speakers and Sub to my AMP, that's the reason why I got a 4 Channel AMP.

But a fellow of mine helped me out with the RCA and stuff. I will be needing 2 RCA because I have 2 RCA Output in the back of my head unit. 1 Will be for the front speakers and 1 will be for the SUB.

The question I am left is, how do I wire the speaker wires to the AMP.. it looks quite confusing.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 PM
92K1500

Hook one set to the front output on the head and the other to the sub output.

Then the fronts will hook to channel A, then the sub will hook to channel B inputs on the amp.

Hook the door speakers up to channels A, left and right respectively on the output side.

Then wire the subs together in parallel, and hook it to channel B bridged. Hook the negative wire to the right negative (-) and the positive wire to the right positive (+).

Everything is marked fairly well on the amp if it's the same one I'm looking at.

Then you will need to set your gains. I'll get into that later if you need help.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Bao Tran

Then the fronts will hook to channel A, then the sub will hook to channel B inputs on the amp.

Hook the door speakers up to channels A, left and right respectively on the output side.

Then wire the subs together in parallel, and hook it to channel B bridged. Hook the negative wire to the right negative (-) and the positive wire to the right positive (+).

Everything is marked fairly well on the amp if it's the same one I'm looking at.

Then you will need to set your gains. I'll get into that later if you need help.
That's my AMP, You think you could Draw up a Diagram if you got free time? I mean I know that's asking a lot but that'll save me a lot of money. I"m not being cheap, it's just I already exceeded my amount of money to use. haha

FrontRight Positive, FrontRight Negative, FrontLeft Positive, FrontLeft Negative. Sub Negative, Sub positive.
Which one goes to which channel and crap. :/ again I am sorry for being such a Newb! But i'm willing to learn from you guys.
Attached Thumbnails Newb With Audio, Need HELP!-pioneergm-d9500fpowerampoutput.jpg  
Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Bao Tran

Okay so I've been observing the AMP
And I think i'ma understanding it,
For ex: AL+ AL-
Channel A Left Speaker Positive, and Channel A Left Speaker Negative
Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Bao Tran

This is what I came up from, from what you told me and also after a while of observing at the AMP ha

Correct me if I'm WRONG please!
Attached Thumbnails Newb With Audio, Need HELP!-pioneergm-d9500fpowerampoutput.jpg  
Old 11-21-2013, 07:38 PM
92K1500

That's correct.

I was looking at a different model but the same concept applies.

This is the one I was looking at.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:42 PM
92K1500

Ah ****, the site I was looking at earlier listed the specs wrong......

With the subs in parallel you will be running too low of an ohm load to hook it up bridged.

Unless they are 2 ohm subs wired in series in the box to provide a 4 ohm load at the terminal since you said it only has one terminal to hook wires to on the box.

Do you have a DVOM / DMM / ohm meter / multi meter?

If they are wired to 2 ohms at the box you're going to have to be very careful so you don't blow anything.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Bao Tran

Ah ****, the site I was looking at earlier listed the specs wrong......

With the subs in parallel you will be running too low of an ohm load to hook it up bridged.

Unless they are 2 ohm subs wired in series in the box to provide a 4 ohm load at the terminal since you said it only has one terminal to hook wires to on the box.

Do you have a DVOM / DMM / ohm meter / multi meter?

If they are wired to 2 ohms at the box you're going to have to be very careful so you don't blow anything.
You are right, I was lookin at the wrong model but it should be the same. On the website, it said the all the speakers are 4ohm.

And Yes I do have the meter thing, but I don't know how to use it. It's my Pap's tool.

Okay So after doing some more search and observing things. I found out that there's 2 Terminal. and the Sub are 4ohms.
So eveyrthing should be fine right?
And I'm guessing the sub would wired up the same way as I did to channel A. but in Channel B this time. I will make a diagram. and Post it on here a few mins for you to Check.

Last edited by Bao Tran; 11-21-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Bao Tran

Originally Posted by Bao Tran
You are right, I was lookin at the wrong model but it should be the same. On the website, it said the all the speakers are 4ohm.

And Yes I do have the meter thing, but I don't know how to use it. It's my Pap's tool.

Okay So after doing some more search and observing things. I found out that there's 2 Terminal. and the Sub are 4ohms.
So eveyrthing should be fine right?
And I'm guessing the sub would wired up the same way as I did to channel A. but in Channel B this time. I will make a diagram. and Post it on here a few mins for you to Check.
Here's the amp Spec:
its a 600rms 4Channel AMP
GM Digital Series 4-Channel Class D Car Amplifier
RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 150 watts x 4 chan.
1 ohm: 125 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 300 watts x 2 chan.

I was thinking of bridge my sub, but that might cause it to blow? what do you think?
Sub Spec: 300W Peak 150W Rms
Front Speaker Spec: 300W Peak 100W Rms
Attached Thumbnails Newb With Audio, Need HELP!-pioneer-gm-8604.jpg  
Old 11-22-2013, 07:32 AM
92K1500

Yes that's how it would be wired.

You COULD bridge them but I wouldn't suggest it. It would be easier that way and you'd get more power but it'd be running the amp below it's rated load and I don't know how durable those amps are and I don't know your self control with the volume ****. Experienced car audio guys will wire well below the rated loads but they have powerful enough electrical to support it.

You'll wanna set the gain for set A and B for 20v each. Use a 1000hz tone for the doors and a 40 or 50hz tone for the sub.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:58 AM
07maximan

Are the subs dual or single voice coils? If they are single you wont want to bridge them. If they are dual hook them up like this and bridge them.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...2&I=42#results

Quick Reply: Newb With Audio, Need HELP!