Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Digital video camera ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 10:57 PM
notlownf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital video camera ?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes.

I'm looking for a digital video camera and was wondering what you guys use. I'd like to stay under $600 and would like to be able to record car meets and cruises. I'm also looking for good video editing software.

Also do any of you have camera mounts for your cars? If so, what kind and how do you like it.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2004, 11:14 AM
alienx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Digital video camera ?

Originally posted by notlownf
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes.

I'm looking for a digital video camera and was wondering what you guys use. I'd like to stay under $600 and would like to be able to record car meets and cruises. I'm also looking for good video editing software.

Also do any of you have camera mounts for your cars? If so, what kind and how do you like it.

Thanks
$600 bucks is a large budget for a came these days.

You could get a thousand (not quite) different recommendations here because there are a lot of good cams out there. I have a Sony s85. It works very well for me.

You really need to decide if you like a particular brand of electronics. Then, decide how many megapixels you want. Finally. see if you like the camera that your manufacturer makes in that MP rating.

Mine is four, and it is more than enough. I think I could live with 3, and 5 is probably more than you would ever need.

The only real advice I would give you, is to stay away from the point-and-shoot, shirt-pocket cams. They are sold based on their size appeal, but you generally loose some image quality and controlability. There are no absolutes, but I would argue this point if I had to.

For video software, I got Adobe Premier with my capture card. I like it a lot. I'm sure there are many other simpler programs out there too but I haven't used any.

For camera mounting, all video cams come with a standard 1/4" threaded tripod hole. Find a place you would like to mount your cam, and mount your cam to a thin piece of plywood, then mount that to the car surface using nearby bolts or screws. Long wire ties also work well. Wander the local home depot and you will find a ton of cheap items to use.