Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My install....I like!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 02:59 PM
lascala26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My install....I like!

My new install. Sorry for the crappy pictures. I will try and post more when I have more time.
Attached Thumbnails My install....I like!-kicker-sub-from-the-rear.jpg  
Old 02-08-2004, 03:01 PM
lascala26

Default Re: My install....I like!

The head unit....
Attached Thumbnails My install....I like!-pioneer-350-z-install.jpg  
Old 02-08-2004, 03:02 PM
lascala26

Default Re: Re: My install....I like!

The view looking into the hatch area from the drivers seat...
Attached Thumbnails My install....I like!-z-slant-from-front-seat.jpg  
Old 02-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Mapleleaf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Install ... everything looks clean
Old 02-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Losing Grip

well done. i like how clean everything looks. only thing i would change would be the sub and the aluminum around the HU.

-john
Old 02-09-2004, 04:41 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice and clean ... I think I still like my head unit mount better though.

Here is the thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=52109
Attached Thumbnails My install....I like!-head_unit_open.jpg  
Old 02-09-2004, 04:56 AM
lascala26

I couldn't get the Z-plate to fit perfectly. I tried bending it slightly, but there were always gaps. The steel plate, although hard to tell in the picture, matches all the accents in picture. The HU sits perfectly flush and I have no gaps around the edge. That was important to me. I have the Z-plate (see onecoolee's install)available for sale if anybody wants it.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:19 AM
onecoolee

Exactly, I had the same problems with fitment on the Z plate, especially in corners... but I was able to massage the plate into position and tape the areas without a perfect fit. With the corners taped, the fit looked good, and no light shined through and the corners looked black.

I like the head unit install with the plain stainless plate, but its just a little plain for me, and I prefer something a little flashier...
Old 02-09-2004, 05:28 AM
lascala26

I do like the flash of the Z plate though, epecially with those orange lights in the backgroudn. I will say this...the Pioneer HU I have is incredible. I completed the auto-equalizing yesterday and the difference was outstanding. The HU will measure the acoustics of your interior using a supplied microphone. It then makes time delay adjustments based on your position. The sound difference is incredible. Highly recommend this unit if you want to go high-end.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:42 AM
onecoolee

Yeah, the delay option and mic is the only thing that the 840 does not have that the 940 does... I didn't opt for the 940 becasue of price and because I have a high-end EQ that I use, so I can pretty much make any adjustments I need manually, and I have a decently tuned ear. All of this is manual though and not automatic...so for people without an additional eq, or without a means of tuning the setup, then the 940 is probably the better option.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:50 AM
lascala26

Onecoolee,

Have you had any imaging problems as far as creating a centered soundstage? My HU does a great job of centering the sound, but in my opinion the Z's stock locations aren't ideal for proper imaging.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:01 AM
onecoolee

Not really, but hte soundstage, I agree, is not perfect. A good set of seperates, helps ALOT! My soundstage is centered, but not as high as I really like it. I was considering putting in a set of tiny speakers as a center channel in the sunglasses holder (since its worthless anyways), to bring the stage up a bit. I think this can be done cheap, but I would need to figure out a good place to mount a volume control for them. I am happy with the sound overall, for a small car, and considering the placement of the speakers.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:58 AM
lascala26

I have thought about changing the sunglass holder to a center channel as well. I know it has been done. I am going to start looking into it this week. Keep me posted on your end.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:06 AM
onecoolee

I have an Audio Control ESP-3 sitting in the drawer at home, which is basically a spatial processor... it takes L+R input, and seperates out what the info it thinks should be center channel info, and passes the untouched signal on to the EQ/xover/amps. I thought about hooking it up in my install and using the spatial processor only (phantom center mode) without the center, as I have heard it without a center channel and it makes a huge difference...and with a small amp and small center channel speaker it is perfect ! I saved it from my hardcore USAC/IASCA competition days...I am far away from making my ride a show car again, as its just not worth the time and effort, but I still like having what I consider a great imaging/soundstage car.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it alot. The metal around the HU looks kind of weird but im sure it looks better in person.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:47 AM
lascala26

I would love to hear a Z with a center channel. My 2000 Eclipse had one and it had great imaging.

I will try and take better pics of the HU. It looks much better than the picture.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:23 AM
onecoolee

I think the only reason it looks weird is becasue it s so much metal, and just a little head unit sticking out. If there was a pocket, or some sort of Z design on the plate, it would break up the monotony of the metal plate and look better, but thats just my opinion.

I will get the ESP3 out and make sure it still works and try to get it hooked up when the weather breaks...its cold now, the roads are crappy, and my baby is all covered up in the garage.