Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 10:03 PM
chaparro78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JLAudio/Kenwood/Infiniti Stereo

Here is the basic layout of my system:
-Kenwood KDC-X959 radio
-Sirius Satellite
-Infiniti Kappa Perfects Components 6 1/2 (doors)
-Infiniti Kappa 3ways 6 1/2"(behind seats)
-1 JLAudio 10W6v2 sub
-JLAudio 500/5 amp
-custom speaker enclosure

Here is the radio:
Attached Thumbnails JLAudio/Kenwood/Infiniti Stereo-kenwood-radio.jpg  

Last edited by chaparro78; 02-09-2004 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:04 PM
chaparro78

A look at the **** pit:
Attached Thumbnails JLAudio/Kenwood/Infiniti Stereo-6693steering_wheel-med.jpg  
Old 02-09-2004, 10:05 PM
chaparro78

Speaker enclosure in stealth mode (can't let passer byers see what you have):
Attached Thumbnails JLAudio/Kenwood/Infiniti Stereo-6693hidden_sub-med.jpg  
Old 02-09-2004, 10:06 PM
chaparro78

Stealth mode removed:
Attached Thumbnails JLAudio/Kenwood/Infiniti Stereo-my-z-enclosure.jpg  
Old 02-09-2004, 10:07 PM
chaparro78

A closer look:
Attached Thumbnails JLAudio/Kenwood/Infiniti Stereo-6693custom_enclosure-med.jpg  
Old 02-10-2004, 08:26 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Looks stealthy!!! I like it but that's because my system is stealth as well (amp and sub in same location as yours).

Did you do the work yourself?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:42 AM
dbsinc

Default Awesome Enclosure

Originally posted by LS350Z
Looks stealthy!!! I like it but that's because my system is stealth as well (amp and sub in same location as yours).

Did you do the work yourself?
I have a track model and the other day I was looking at my 17" donut spare which I don't I can even use because the car will be lopsided.

I have been thinking about a JL stealthbox type enclosure but not only does take up what little room we have back there anyway but it can't look that good if you look from the cabin side.

Where did you get the box? Did you make it? If not does your source sell these or do you?

I love the clean look and would love to have that.

How much did the speaker, box, and amp cost, if you don't mind me asking?

It is the tightest setup that I have seen!
Old 02-10-2004, 11:54 PM
chaparro78

Default Re: Awesome Enclosure

Originally posted by dbsinc
Where did you get the box? Did you make it? If not does your source sell these or do you?

The box was made for me by a friend of mine here in Dallas. It is not a hard box to make and you can probably make it yourself with the propper tools. It is 1/2 inch MDF wood.

It is a ported recatangular box made to the right air specifications required by JLAudio. Then the amp rack is a rectangular box slighly larger than the amp (1 inch to each side) attached to the woofer box. The tops of both boxes is 1/4 inch plexy glass.

The top of the entire system is a 1/4 inch sturdy, but flexible material. The design was drawn out by me over the amp and speaker, cut out, and then we coverred it in black vinal Using a spary glue. The top is attached by velcro and small screws.

We put a shield over the speaker so it would not get damaged. The stealth top that covers the whole thing is just the OEM trunk mat with slits cut in for the shield over the sub.

Remove the donut spare and then cut the metal buldge that comes out to keep the donut still. You will have a flat surface then. Then just attach the box to the car with "L" brackts. The trunk area and lid itself was made so well no dynomat is needed. It hits hard and has no rattle. I thought i heard some but it was actually the tassle i had hanging from my rear view mirror.

I still throw books, groceries, *****, whatever i want back there and don't worry about any damage to anything. I didn't lose any truck space at all in the setup.

How much did the speaker, box, and amp cost, if you don't mind me asking?

The speaker (JLAudio 10W6v2) one of the best subs around was $350 and amp (JLAudio 500/5 5-Channel Amp) was $650, both at cartoys.

It is the tightest setup that I have seen!
Thanks for liking my set-up
Old 02-11-2004, 12:22 AM
chaparro78

Default Re: Awesome Enclosure

A friend of mine here in Dallas made it. It is not that difficult to put together. The box is a rectuangular ported box made 1/2 inch MDF wood. The amp rack is another box made with left over MDF 1 inch bigger than amp to each side. They are attached to each other with brakets. The tops of the boxes are 1/4 inch plexi glass. That is attached with small screws about 2 inches apart in sub box and 3 inches apart in amp rack.

The top of the system is 1/4 inch sturdy and slightly flexable material. Forgot what it's called. Needs to be flexible to get in and out of trunk but sturdy enough to hold books, groceries, ect. I used the trunck mat as a template and cut the material to the same size as the trunk mat (perfect fit). Then i drew the Z design over the part that goes onver the amp and that ovalish design over the part that goes over the sub. We then coverred it in black vinal (held on by a stong spray glue)

Cut the small loop in bottom of the trunk that holds the spare tire in place for a flat surface. Place the sub/amp box on trunk floor centerred and attach with "L" brackets. Then the top was attachhed to the boxes with velcro and small screws. We placed a shield over the sub so it doesn't get damaged by anything i may put in the back. That is the bridge looking object over the sub.

The stealth mat is just the trunk mat with slits cut into it where the shield over the sub is.

How much did the speaker, box, and amp cost, if you don't mind me asking?[/QUOTE]

I bought the sub and amp at car toys. They matched prices I got off the internet. The sub (JLAudio 10W6v2) was $350 and the amp (JLAudio 500/5) was $650. The sub retails at almost $400 and the amp at $800. Look around for deals on them.

It is the tightest setup that I have seen! [/QUOTE]
Thanks for the compliment.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:23 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I like your install, very nice...

But, 1/2 mdf for the box ? That seems a little thin... JL Audio specs for the 10W6v2 recommend 3/4 mdf MIN, and even 1" on the baffle plate. I am sure that you have some flexing at full power, and maybe you aren't getting your full money's worth out of that sub (a great choice too).

Overall a great job on the install, and a great spare-less install !
Old 02-11-2004, 07:09 AM
jj1814

Originally posted by chaparro78
Speaker enclosure in stealth mode (can't let passer byers see what you have):

passers by

just like mothers-in-law
Old 02-12-2004, 03:00 AM
chaparro78

Originally posted by onecoolee

But, 1/2 mdf for the box ? That seems a little thin... JL Audio specs for the 10W6v2 recommend 3/4 mdf MIN, and even 1" on the baffle plate. I am sure that you have some flexing at full power, and maybe you aren't getting your full money's worth out of that sub (a great choice too).

With the way the box is secured to the floor of the trunk and attached to the amp rack and top cover. It holds real good. The sound is real crisp coming out. We didn't choose a thicker MDF wood because then the gap between the two boxwes would be 2" and would be seen when the cover was attached.
Thanks for your input though and thank you for your compliment, I appreciate it.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:30 PM
lswaidz

Did you have any problems getting the Perfects to fit in the door due to their depth? Also, how hard was it to install the tweets in the stock location?

~Lance
Old 02-15-2004, 10:40 PM
chaparro78

Originally posted by lswaidz
Did you have any problems getting the Perfects to fit in the door due to their depth? Also, how hard was it to install the tweets in the stock location?

~Lance
The Perfects fit tight but good. Little play room. The tweets were just a simple switch out.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:35 PM
dbsinc

Default 1 more pic please

Just one more pic if you don't mind, if the boxes in the space. Just without the carpet or padding.

I would really appreciate it because I am getting ready to try and do this with a friend's help, and that pic would help a lot.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2004, 05:35 PM
dbsinc

Default 1 more pic please

Just one more pic if you don't mind, if the boxes in the space. Just without the carpet or padding.

I would really appreciate it because I am getting ready to try and do this with a friend's help, and that pic would help a lot.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2004, 10:36 PM
chaparro78

Default Re: 1 more pic please

Thanks
I don't want to unscrew the top cover, but I drew you a basic lay out of how the box looks. It is a little crude but I think you'll get the what I mean with it. The amp is not mounted flat. It is on a pice of Plexi-glass that has a neon light hooked to the underside of it to make it glow from underneath. The plexi is attacked to the amp rack at like a 30 degree angle.

Basically the top of the glass where the amp is mounted is screwed in near the upper top of the amp rack. Then the bottom is screwed in to the lower bottom.

2 small red neon lights are placed on the side walls of the speaker box.

If the top cover is removed it loks like the pic in the drawing sitting in your trunck with my wires wire wrapped running along either side.
Attached Thumbnails JLAudio/Kenwood/Infiniti Stereo-speakerbox.jpg  
Old 02-17-2004, 06:09 AM
dbsinc

Default Re: Re: 1 more pic please

Originally posted by chaparro78
I don't want to unscrew the top cover, but I drew you a basic lay out of how the box looks. It is a little crude but I think you'll get the what I mean with it. The amp is not mounted flat. It is on a pice of Plexi-glass that has a neon light hooked to the underside of it to make it glow from underneath. The plexi is attacked to the amp rack at like a 30 degree angle.

Basically the top of the glass where the amp is mounted is screwed in near the upper top of the amp rack. Then the bottom is screwed in to the lower bottom.

2 small red neon lights are placed on the side walls of the speaker box.

If the top cover is removed it loks like the pic in the drawing sitting in your trunck with my wires wire wrapped running along either side.
Thanks that does help.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:36 PM
chaparro78

I may be remaking the top and covering it in a red carbon fiber material i found. If i do, I will post the pictures
Old 03-01-2004, 09:55 PM
chaparro78

No more Infinity Kappa Perfect components. After hearing the Focal Polykevlar components I had to make the switch. I will be posting pics of the switch soon. Man the Focals sound incredible. I used to have MBQuarts in my truck and the Focals even sound beter than MBQuart. They definately blow away the Infinity components.

Quick Reply: JLAudio/Kenwood/Infiniti Stereo