Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Appradio 4 install, immobilizer problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 01:15 PM
rocketrich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Appradio 4 install, immobilizer problem?

Folks, I took my sweet time installing a new Pioneer AppRadio (SPH-DA120). It was a pain because of the tight confines, black color everywhere, and poorlighting in my garage. But its done!

Upon turning to start the engine, the starter doesn't engage, instead I get some rapid clicking and the instrument panel display goes dark.

It resets if I press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote. All the switches work, and headlights come on, hazards work, etc. but the starter will not engage when I turn the key.

Based upon googling, it appears that the keys may need to be registered with the ECU/etc. in the car which is dealer thing. None of the things I've found on the web seem to fix this. Anyone come across a similar problem? What was the fix? TIA, Rich

xxxxxxxxx Final Update:
Thanks to Beezee and SQuaLz for the help! It was the battery because as soon as I replaced the battery, it started first time just like always. The old battery was only about a year and a half old! And I thought for sure that the battery couldn't be the problem as I had it on a trickle charger and everything. So I hope I didn't fry the old battery with my radio install, but I'll figure that out soon enough. The new battery is on a trickle charger and I expect it to be fully charged by morning. There is salt on the roads her, so I won't be taking the Z out anytime soon, but the Appradio looks to be pretty nice (no amps used). Once again I learn how fickle modern cars are about their batteries!

Last edited by rocketrich; 01-18-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-17-2016, 01:24 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't know much about appradio but does the install involve the key or connection to the ecu?
Old 01-17-2016, 01:45 PM
rocketrich

Hi Beezee, No, just the stereo connections. But I had to disassemble the center console and many connections and also disconnected the battery's ground for over a week or so while I took my time with this. I also had some magnets for fishing out screws in case I dropped them. i'm just thinking I hosed the coding link between the keys and the ECU bits in the car.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:23 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but the sound you describe sounds like a dead battery. Sometimes there will be enough juice to turn on the lights but not enough to start. I will try jump starting first before heading to the dealer. Or put a battery tender on it for a while
The following users liked this post:
rocketrich (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 03:35 AM
rocketrich

Beezee, That's good advice, thanks. The battery is less than 2 years old and I have been regularly using the trickle charger so I'm probably ok there. Pulling and testing the battery is certainly a cheaper quick test than having it hauled to the dealer, so I will do that next. I've seen weird stuff happen because of batteries in modern cars!
Old 01-18-2016, 05:39 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I just installed the same radio a few weeks back and had no issues. I also think it's a dead battery. Nothing in the waterfall would cause this. At most the only things that come to mind are the waterfall gauges not working or the AC/Heat not working. Those are really the only things you touch when removing the waterfall.
The following users liked this post:
rocketrich (01-18-2016)