Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

suggestions on this speaker setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 11:42 AM
rcghalohell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i could find an enclosure that still gives me a bit of space under the strut to fit my bass guitar, i'd be good, but the only one ive seen is the JL one and thats just a grand to the shopping list.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:44 AM
rcghalohell

i mean how bad does it sound in the bose spot... compared to a corner spot in a trunk? my last car had a corner spot in a trunk, stock, but its inward sub. and i hate giving up trunk space in a small spot already where the bose spot is pretty convenient
Old 04-21-2016, 12:06 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

If you put a real sub in the bose spot its going to rattle the car and sound like poopoo... You could chase down all the rattle and add dyno matt or whatever and try to make it sound better but in the end its never going to sound as good as it would in the hatch. You could build a box that utilizes the space on the back side of the strut bar because that space is rather useless anyways. You could go for a sub in the stock spot just be prepared for disappointment.

You should get it in your mind that your going to need to build this box yourself custom made for whatever sub you get... They have very specific specs... And want very specific internal volumes. MdF is cheap and so is wood glue. Tools get expensive but most people can find some.. If not home dumpster will cut for you and you can get some cheap jig saw that will work.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:18 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Honestly if you dont want to use the space in the hatch I would just not have a sub... Its a small car and good speakers on an aftermarket amp is going to go a long way...
Old 04-21-2016, 12:53 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

That's simply not true. A well-designed 10" sub, with a proper amp, will sound great in the space behind the seats. The metal won't rattle, but the Bose grille will, and I had to cut a bunch of little squares of FatMat to fill the grid on the back of it.

I have all the necessary tools for box building, but not a car big enough to get a 4 x 8' sheet of MDF home. I brought my plans to Lowe's (when it wasn't busy) and the guy there cut all the pieces for me, and I left the other half of the sheet behind. Just needed a jigsaw to cut the holes for the sub and panel with the banana plugs.

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
If you put a real sub in the bose spot its going to rattle the car and sound like poopoo... You could chase down all the rattle and add dyno matt or whatever and try to make it sound better but in the end its never going to sound as good as it would in the hatch. You could build a box that utilizes the space on the back side of the strut bar because that space is rather useless anyways. You could go for a sub in the stock spot just be prepared for disappointment.

You should get it in your mind that your going to need to build this box yourself custom made for whatever sub you get... They have very specific specs... And want very specific internal volumes. MdF is cheap and so is wood glue. Tools get expensive but most people can find some.. If not home dumpster will cut for you and you can get some cheap jig saw that will work.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:20 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by dcains
That's simply not true. A well-designed 10" sub, with a proper amp, will sound great in the space behind the seats. The metal won't rattle, but the Bose grille will, and I had to cut a bunch of little squares of FatMat to fill the grid on the back of it.

I have all the necessary tools for box building, but not a car big enough to get a 4 x 8' sheet of MDF home. I brought my plans to Lowe's (when it wasn't busy) and the guy there cut all the pieces for me, and I left the other half of the sheet behind. Just needed a jigsaw to cut the holes for the sub and panel with the banana plugs.
But if you moved your sub from the spot its in to the hatch it would most definitely sound better. Dont get me wrong im impressed with your set up and I copied you when I first got my car, I just couldn't end up getting my box to fit correctly and remade a box for under the strut.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:44 AM
rcghalohell

But if you moved your sub from the spot its in to the hatch it would most definitely sound better. Dont get me wrong im impressed with your set up and I copied you when I first got my car, I just couldn't end up getting my box to fit correctly and remade a box for under the strut.
Do you think the jl enclosure would be good then?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1369415...tealthbox.html

if so what amp do you think would be good for a dual sub?

Last edited by rcghalohell; 04-22-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:00 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

I dont think you need anything more then 1 sub anything more will be over kill in the car... If you are wanting the kids in the school bus across the street to feel the bass then by all means add multiple subs and sky is the limit... If your just looking for a nice all around stereo I would look into a 5 channel or 3 channel with a subwoofer channel....

I'll be the first to admit that my hearing isnt all that good and my stereo system is far from what anyone would consider high end but it sounds really good to me and I have basic speakers (rockford prime) 6 1/2 in thr rear deck and 4 inch in the doors running off a basic kenwood head unit... With a cheesy crutchfield amp (sound ordinance) or something like that powering a single 8 inch rockford prime in a tiny *** box...

Its not going to win any shows, and its not anything special but for the $300 (some I had laying around) it makes a world of difference.

So no I definitely would not suggest spending $850 on a sub in a box that goes in the glove box... I had 2 subs laying around and I think I spent $15 on materials to build my box and it fits perfectly and doesn't take up much room.. (8inch sub in sealed enclosure doesn't need much room)

But basically I dont think $850 for a sub in a box is a good deal when you could build a decent sounding system that includes probably that exact same sub amp and all new speakers for the same price.

I also dont like JL because thats the only brand of sub I ever had that ever broke on me.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:42 PM
rcghalohell

I dont think you need anything more then 1 sub anything more will be over kill in the car... If you are wanting the kids in the school bus across the street to feel the bass then by all means add multiple subs and sky is the limit... If your just looking for a nice all around stereo I would look into a 5 channel or 3 channel with a subwoofer channel....

I'll be the first to admit that my hearing isnt all that good and my stereo system is far from what anyone would consider high end but it sounds really good to me and I have basic speakers (rockford prime) 6 1/2 in thr rear deck and 4 inch in the doors running off a basic kenwood head unit... With a cheesy crutchfield amp (sound ordinance) or something like that powering a single 8 inch rockford prime in a tiny *** box...

Its not going to win any shows, and its not anything special but for the $300 (some I had laying around) it makes a world of difference.

So no I definitely would not suggest spending $850 on a sub in a box that goes in the glove box... I had 2 subs laying around and I think I spent $15 on materials to build my box and it fits perfectly and doesn't take up much room.. (8inch sub in sealed enclosure doesn't need much room)

But basically I dont think $850 for a sub in a box is a good deal when you could build a decent sounding system that includes probably that exact same sub amp and all new speakers for the same price.

I also dont like JL because thats the only brand of sub I ever had that ever broke on me.
I mean it has perfect spacing. If there was that shape with something else I'd go for it
Old 04-22-2016, 03:48 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Road trip to Hartford... This is how my 8 inch sub is situated in my car. I have no complaints...
https://hartford.craigslist.org/pts/5544092256.html

Lol like this
Old 04-22-2016, 04:48 PM
rcghalohell

Is zenclosure any good? Ifound a type 2 that looks like it will be decent

Last edited by rcghalohell; 04-22-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:38 PM
rcghalohell

Originally Posted by rcghalohell
Is zenclosure any good? Ifound a type 2 that looks like it will be decent
Anyone?
Old 04-28-2016, 05:19 AM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have both. I first had the wicked cas sub box in the stock location for many years, sounds fine. I bought a zenclosure, the one that goes under the strut bar because I needed to relocate more weight closer to the rear, sounds much better with the same sub.

So pros with the wicked cas is that it sounds fine and you don't give up any trunk space. The zenclosure sounds better but you give up a lot of space for it.

If you are really set on the wicked cas, I have mine for sale real cheap, it is the version 1. I used an ID10 in it.

https://my350z.com/forum/north-east-...mber-arms.html
Old 04-28-2016, 09:07 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Here is my 8 inch sub in my home made box that cost $15