Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 06:26 PM
TylerHighRoller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Question

What's up guys I been viewing this site for quite some time now but never really posted. So I ran into a issue i'm wondering if anyone has specific experience with. I've done a lot of research and troubleshooting so this is kind of my last resort lol. Anyways.... so around two years ago I purchased a new head unit for my 06 z. My car has the factory bose system so I had to buy the wiring harness compatible for it (been so long I forgot the actual name of it) and everything worked fine. Here's where things get weird, so i noticed a faint popping/crackling sound coming from the speakers, no matter what volume or settings. I checked the ground to the headunit and even moved it to another location and it didn't seem to make a difference. It randomly stopped doing it and I added a aftermarket subwoofer and all was well. Now fast forward to current times I recently hopped in my car after about a week and half of no driving and instantly noticed it started making the popping sound again. Anybody have any experience with this? A stereo shop told me (I got them to do the subwoofer install and asked them about this issue while I was there) that sometimes when putting aftermarket headunits with the bose system you'll get feedback like that sometimes. It just doesn't explain why it wasn't there for so long. I'm just at a point where I just want my stereo to sound normal lol. One of those little things where I just wonder if anyone has any input before I take drastic measures and get a shop to disable the bose amps. Btw I know aftermarket speakers would sound better I was just trying to keep everything budget friendly and the stereo has sounded fine for the 3+ years I owned the car besides this little hiccup.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:21 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

try breaking up the post some, with it all running together it makes it hard to read

you need to completely bypass the bose system, run all new wires to the speakers which will need to be replaced because bose runs at a different ohm level than most aftermarket systems
Old 12-06-2016, 11:54 AM
TylerHighRoller

Honestly I just tried to include as much information as I could so I didn't get roasted and for people to say "do your research blah blah" because I pretty much did two years ago. Was looking for some guidance lol.

Yeah see that's what I thought that it required to run new wires to the speakers that's why I didn't do it in the first place (labor cost of getting a shop to rerun all the wires). Only thing is A. why was it fine for so long and then just decided to do it again? and B. the speaker shop just acted like they could just disable the amps and it would play lol maybe they just didn't mention the whole rewire so they could charge me more. I'm assuming they know what they are doing because they installed my amp kit fine.

The whole point of this install was I thought the car lacked bass so I wanted to add some, oh yeah plus its a 2006 and I needed to listen to my music on my phone so I got that new headunit. Never was trying to have crystal clear audio lol. Thanks for the suggestion, I figured that's what I would have to do, but still so odd how everything happened.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:58 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

it is hard to say what is causing it without diving into it.... but i would try the all new wires and speakers to get everything at 4ohms
Old 12-09-2016, 05:18 PM
TylerHighRoller

Yeah true, thing's like this you really never know what can be the problem until you trial and error it. Thanks for the advice. Another thing to note is I wonder if the head unit is a little defective since I remember I did purchase it refurbished. I have a second car that i'll be getting a new head unit for soon, so I may just hook it up to the z first and see if it sounds any different to rule that out.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:15 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

That back bose amp might be acting up and causing the noises. Adding the subwoofer wasn't a difficult task but bypassing that amp isnt the best idea unless you get all New speakers.

The wired can get spliced together relatively easy but your head units ohm outputs are not going to mesh well with the bose speakers. You can get some kenwood 6 1/2 inch speakers for like $25 on Amazon. They will work fine. So $50 and some wire splicing and you will be good to go...

You might as well run speaker wire from the head unit to the rear speakers though... The fronts just bypass the amp...

Good luck
Old 12-09-2016, 06:29 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

If you agree with most of us that the bose system is crap then the best way is get rid of it entirely. Get an amp and run new wires. It makes life easier
Old 12-10-2016, 11:41 AM
TylerHighRoller

Thanks for info guys. It was fine for awhile with me because I added a aftermarket subwoofer but now with the popping it just annoys me again. Yeah z's bose system is deff not the best lol I just went through different stages of debating of upgrading to a different car so I wasn't trying to invest in a whole new audio system. But it looks like I probably will go that route after all anyways haha.