Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Time to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Scott Morris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to upgrade

I was looking for some help. I have a stock system in my 2005. The previous owner had a sub in the back and left cables and connectors. I can buy a new amp and put in a new subwoofer. Or I can get a new amp and update my front speakers and Main deck. What would be better. Where am I going to get the most bang for my buck? I am very hesitant to put anything in the back such as the standard speaker box that goes under the bar. Space is a premium. I use my space quite often. I'm looking to spend about $700 maybe a little more if need be. Any suggestions from all of you audiophile 350Z owners would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:03 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I'd get a new headunit and front speakers now, and later add the amp and sub. You can get a very nice headunit for ~$400, like the Pioneer SPH-DA120 AppRadio 4, and a pair of Polk DB6502 speakers for ~$170. If you buy from Crutchfield, they'll send you all the install kits and instructions for free. Of course, there are many other choices, so that's just a good suggestion.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I agree with Dean, except I would also install an external amp right away.

When (and if) you add an SubW, you can use two channels from you external amp for the SubW, or add another amp.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:17 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

^^^ Totally these. While the Z can use a boost in low freqs, improvement of the front sound stage is a much better bang-for-buck if building this gradually. Very noticeable improvements.

A lot of people eschew doing anything with the rear speakers and that's understandable but I like having all four F&R. Personal preference.

Something to consider as well, if you don't want to do it twice (or go dual amplifier - but I'd cable for it anyways), you can select a single 5-channel amp that runs, say 50x4 for the F&R and whatever 5th channel spec is for the sub (which you can add later). I'm pleased with this arrangement for a "casual system".

I'm about to add a powered sub to my son's Z. Picked up an Infinity Basslink for not a lot and once cabled (the usual RCAs, power, TO cable) it's pretty much no fuss mounting it inside the rear cubby and swapping out the cover for a Bose vented one.

Last edited by MicVelo; 02-06-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:12 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Something to consider as well, if you don't want to do it twice (or go dual amplifier - but I'd cable for it anyways), you can select a single 5-channel amp that runs, say 50x4 for the F&R and whatever 5th channel spec is for the sub (which you can add later). I'm pleased with this arrangement for a "casual system".
I did the same but with a four channel amp. 2 front channels in stereo driving components in the doors (Infinity Reference 6030CS) and the 2 rear channels bridged to a single sub. I didn't bother with the rear speakers as I prefer a nice front sound stage.

As for the subs location you can use factory glove box location (drivers' side). Other choices are the under the strut bar but then you kiss most of rear storage away. Or what I think its the best setup = the corner box with a single 10", this way you can keep 90% of your rear storage. I had a glove box setup (single Polk MM 12") and all I got were rattles despite many sheets of dynamat.

Like others said do the amp + front speakers first, then add the sub later. Most 4 channel amps can run as 2 channels (front speakers only), three channels (2 fronts + 1 sub) or 4 channels (2 fronts + 2 rear) so that is why I recommend them... very flexible.