Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bad AM reception with aftermarket head unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 10:20 AM
jreiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad AM reception with aftermarket head unit

With the stock non-Bose headunit I was getting outstanding AM reception. There is a talk radio station a few hundred miles away that I always listen to. I could pick it up pretty fine with the stock head unit.

Last night I installed an Alpine head unit, and now my AM reception is worthless. I can't even hear a hint of that radio station. It's not even remotely there at all.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:42 PM
KPierson
Banned

Default Re: Bad AM reception with aftermarket head unit

Originally posted by jreiter
Last night I installed an Alpine head unit, and now my AM reception is worthless.
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard this problem over the past four years my G35 would be paid off by now....

You'll never get good AM reception from an aftermarket stereo. The AM reception circuitry in them is worthless. Most brands focus on sound quality, visuals, and bells and whistles. AM reception is just included because its a standard feature that has been around forever. For best aftermarket AM results look into a Pioneer Super Tuner, as it has the strongest AM tuner that I have found.

A lot of people in this situation think changing the antenna will fix the problem, and sometimes stereo shops will sell amplified antennas to 'fix' the problem. Niether of these ideas have worked too well for me.

Kevin
Old 03-02-2004, 12:06 AM
jreiter

For what it's worth, I fixed the problem. It turns out that while wiring the harness I forgot to hook up the antenna amplifier power lead. (The 350Z uses an amplified antenna.) My Audi was the same way. If you do not hook up the power lead for the antenna amp, you'll get very poor reception.

I can now pick up my favorite AM talk radio station, even down here 200+ miles away from it. That's all I need in the AM band.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:26 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

yep, when I saw the thread I knew that was your problem... alot of people don't know (at least those without the factory service manual) that there is an antenna amplifier located in hte hatch, clsoe to where teh antenna line comes into the car. Without this hooked up, your radio reception will be crappy.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Dissident

Hmmm. now I'm wondering if I did it or not...