Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

The new ECLIPSE *IN DASH* DVD / Nav Line !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 07:25 PM
cckleung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my AVN 2454 installed last week and it's very cool. I love it.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:57 PM
stu46

Originally posted by DRFT_Z33
i like the kenwood ddx-7015 you can find em for 1000 pretty eaisily and they are all nav/musickeg/hd radio/sirius/ ready also its a double din and the screen stays flat when not loading a disc its dvd/cd/mp3 as well 6.5" screen 22x4 watts rms 50x4 peak ... 3 sets of pre amp out puts ... although they are only 2v ... 24-bit dac (digital to analog converter) plus all the inputs are physically on the head unit ... so no adapter is nessecary like on most dvd head units ... very nice head unit ... plus i imagine the 2494 would be around 2500 bucks with a built in hard drive ... but who knows
FYI....any HU that plays DVDs will have a 24bit DAC. For the price, this HU is hard to beat.

Originally posted by Webiteks
If you search for them on E-bay - they are selling close to well over 2,000! I don't understand why they are going for that much more, when Kenwood has their new unit that is not over 1,400 and has more features in it's unit than some of these Eclipse units.
I believe their priced so high because the GPS is built in. The Kenwood is 1k less because they have an external unit. It's $1500 btw.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:30 PM
kosta157

you can't ground out the avn2454 it reads off of the speed sense wire so you have to put in a switch. the avx piece with harddrive is now 2k used to be 3k but the big problem with this HU is no rca pre-out and as far as the avn pre-out it is only 3v i still like the kenwood piece better. The other thing i don't know if anyone noticed is that the avn2454 volume is on the right of the screen kind of out of the way and the kenwood is on the left, also kenwood has remote and the eclipse is optional.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:39 PM
zorrocar1

Default how much for the nav input in the kenwood

Originally posted by stu46
FYI....any HU that plays DVDs will have a 24bit DAC. For the price, this HU is hard to beat.

I believe their priced so high because the GPS is built in. The Kenwood is 1k less because they have an external unit. It's $1500 btw.
So the Kenwood you have to get some sort of extra navigation attachment to make it work. If so how much?
Old 07-09-2004, 07:34 PM
kosta157

1500 for dvd knadv4100
Old 07-10-2004, 06:31 AM
zorrocar1

might as well buy the avic for that price
Old 07-13-2004, 11:53 PM
HaNkYs_Z

People with this Eclipse unit please help. Can you play DVD while using the Nav? or can I get another monitor and hook up to this unit and one show Nav and one play DVD? and Did anyone buythe remote for this unit? how much the remote cost? How you guys like it so far? any problems?
Old 07-14-2004, 08:15 PM
mudger

so is anyone gonna answere the first question. How would you watch DVD's while driving with the eclipse unit? does it differ from the Kenwood unit? someone should do a How TO
Old 07-15-2004, 12:17 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by mudger
so is anyone gonna answere the first question. How would you watch DVD's while driving with the eclipse unit? does it differ from the Kenwood unit? someone should do a How TO

It's possible no one here even owns one of these yet. I just checked Eclipse's web site, and they don't have the manuals available for download yet, either. However, Eclipse's website says that the DVD video functionality is disabled while the vehicle is in motion, and only the audio can be heard.

So, if this unit does not have an external video output (for external screens), then DVD video while driving won't happen. (Unless someone figures out a way to hack it.)
Old 07-15-2004, 12:28 PM
SizongZ

I have the Kenwood 7015 and am absolutely in love with it. I also have the nav, music keg, and sirius units. Everything intergrates perfectly with the head unit. And as far as Nav goes kenwoods software is great, and I love the built in yellow pages where you can search by name of business or phone number. It is also extremely accurate.
And only one remote needed for all functions and comes standard with the unit.
I thought about the eclipse but you had either a choice of picking one with the Nav or the one with the hard drive.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:37 PM
HaNkYs_Z

Originally posted by SizongZ
I have the Kenwood 7015 and am absolutely in love with it. I also have the nav, music keg, and sirius units. Everything intergrates perfectly with the head unit. And as far as Nav goes kenwoods software is great, and I love the built in yellow pages where you can search by name of business or phone number. It is also extremely accurate.
And only one remote needed for all functions and comes standard with the unit.
I thought about the eclipse but you had either a choice of picking one with the Nav or the one with the hard drive.
Did you buy another screen for the nav or you just hook up to the DDX-7015? how much the nav unit cost? ddx-7015 doesnt come with nav right? its option right? can you play dvd while using the nav at the same time? is there a voice command fuction on this nav unit?
Old 07-15-2004, 12:39 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by jreiter
It's possible no one here even owns one of these yet.

Ah, nevermind. I see up above that someone already posted that they do indeed have one.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:45 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by stu46
FYI....any HU that plays DVDs will have a 24bit DAC.
Keep in mind that just because a DAC is 24bit doesn't mean it is actually good. There are lots of cheap, poor-sounding 24bit DACs out there. However, most people probably can't tell the sonic difference between a good 24bit DAC and a poor 24bit DAC, especially in a car where there is a ton of noise while driving. (road, engine, wind, etc.)
Old 07-15-2004, 12:54 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by DRFT_Z33 3 sets of pre amp out puts ... although they are only 2v ...

Nothing wrong with 2 volt outputs. In fact, a lot of the really high end car audio equipment (audiophile level) is designed for 2 volts or less. Some of the the really high end McIntosh amplifiers, for example, could not take more than 2 volts. If you did pump more than that into them, you risked frying their input circuitry. (I've seen it happen more than once.) Most "consumer level" equipment can handle 4v or more, though, so that's normally not a problem.

The only reason you need high voltage outputs is to overcome noise in your line level signal wires, and that noise can usually be overcome with proper wire routing through the car. (i.e. Not running signal wires next to power wires, etc.) Perfectly amazing sound can be had with a 2v signal.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:29 AM
isugoo

answering some old question somebody had..
i found out that with eclipse anv, you can't watch dvd while using nav.
the reason why is..
top slot is only cd player
botton slot is dvd for movie/nav.
so you only use one or the other.
to watch movie, you have to take out the nav disc.
to use nav, no movie disc in the slot.

i went to shop and asked the owner of shop who has this unit in his truck (by the way, he likes this alot)
Old 07-16-2004, 12:31 PM
mudger

Originally posted by kosta157
you can't ground out the avn2454 it reads off of the speed sense wire so you have to put in a switch. the avx piece with harddrive is now 2k used to be 3k but the big problem with this HU is no rca pre-out and as far as the avn pre-out it is only 3v i still like the kenwood piece better. The other thing i don't know if anyone noticed is that the avn2454 volume is on the right of the screen kind of out of the way and the kenwood is on the left, also kenwood has remote and the eclipse is optional.
so how would u get around the speed sensor
Old 07-17-2004, 05:38 AM
isugoo

by the way, do we really need a remote?
we have Zs. there is no back seat. i don't know i'm looking for buying this eclipse unit very seriously and it really doesn't bother me.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:56 PM
kosta157

if you wanted to watch dvd while driving you would have to put a switch setup in it similar to what you need for alpine units.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:02 PM
mudger

any idea where you would get one at. or how to put it in. It would make a great DIY
Old 07-19-2004, 08:05 AM
isugoo

my local store selling this (avn) at 2099+4.5% tax. install 130 include all the parts. (they will tab into bose system for me)

is that a good deal?
do i have to go do it?

(they are authorized eclipse dealer)

Quick Reply: The new ECLIPSE *IN DASH* DVD / Nav Line !!