Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Amp question please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 10:30 AM
Seppeku

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp question please...

Sorry for the total noob question, but here goes...

If you want the amp to run all 4 speakers and a sub, do you need a 5-channel amp?
Can you let the amp run the front two speakers and the sub, then let the HU run the back two speakers and just buy a 3-channel amp?

This weekend I'm installing a new HU, 6.1 Perfects up front, and an amp to run them. I want an amp with the option of adding a sub and/or quality rear speakers later. What kind of amp do I need to buy? Any opinions on brand and/or model???

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Kame

Default Re: Amp question please...

Originally posted by Seppeku

If you want the amp to run all 4 speakers and a sub, do you need a 5-channel amp?
Can you let the amp run the front two speakers and the sub, then let the HU run the back two speakers and just buy a 3-channel amp?
Yes to both questions.

I've got an alpine 4 channel amp running the fronts and 2 channels bridged to run the sub. I just left the bose amp in to handle the rears.

I've heard it's best to use separate amps instead of using a 5 channel to run everything, but I don't know too much about car audio.

Good luck with your install.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:25 PM
bastard

Your amp choice depends on which sub you plan to get, so until you know that, it would be difficult to decide. If you use a 4 channel amp with one pair bridged to run a sub, you are limited in what subs you can use.

Most bridgable amps are good for 2 ohms stereo (not bridged) and 4 ohms mono (bridged). When bridged, this limits you to 4 ohm (or higher--wasteful) impedance subs. You can obtain 4 ohms by using:
- 1 single 4 ohm voice coil subwoofer.
- 1 dual 2 ohm voice coil sub wired in series.
- 2 dual 4 ohm voice coil subs wired in a series-parallel configuration.

If one uses a so-called "monoblock" amp--either a single channel amp (hence "mono") or the 5th channel of a 5 channel amp, it will minimize these considerations since the mono channel should be capable of driving a 2 ohm load at least.

One must also take power ratings into account. The RMS power of an amplifier should be very close (preferably a bit higher) than the subwoofer's RMS power requirement. Peak power or "Music Power" ratings are practically irrelevant. Use RMS power as a guide.

Another consideration that is often ignored is the efficiency of an amplifier. Some of the high current amps use a lot of amperes to make their power. Class AB amplifiers aren't very efficient either. Look for a class D subwoofer amplifier. Some 5 channel amps have a class D sub channel and use ABs for the 2 stereo pairs. AB amps are more desirable for full-range applications.

Basically: Choose your sub, and then decide on the amp for it.

Good brands include: JL Audio, Soundstream, Zapco, some Phoenix Gold, etc. I recommend the JL Audio amps without reservation.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:07 AM
Seppeku

Good info Bastard, thanks...

So, with all that, I think I'm reading just to buy the amp right now to run the front and rear speakers. Then when I decide on a sub, get another amp just for the sub? Two amps total???
I just can't get the sub right now, but I wanted to set it up for a sub later. Is running one amp for everything a bad thing or can I go with a 3 channel for front speakers and sub?

Thanks for all the input...
Old 03-23-2004, 12:42 PM
bastard

A single amp system isn't a bad idea. I was just pointing out that a 4 channel amp bridged into 3 channels (2 fronts and a sub) will limit what subwoofers you can hook up to it because bridging doubles the safe load--a 2 ohm stable stereo amplifier is only 4 ohm stable when bridged. This rules out any speaker that will be a load lower than 4 ohms when connected to a single channel.

Depending what subwoofers you would be considering, you could buy a 3, 4, or 5 channel amplifier now and install the sub later.

An amp I have heard to be quite good is the JL Audio 500/5. it gives 100x2 for the fronts, 25x2 for the rears, and 250 watts for a sub, which is more than adequate for an average subwoofer. Another JL that might work is the 450/4 which has 150x2 and 75x2. Bridging the 150 watt channels gives you a single channel with 300 watts for a sub, and still gives 75 each to your front speakers.

There are many good subwoofers in the power range of these two amplifiers.

www.jlaudio.com
Old 03-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Seppeku

The 6.1 Perfects are rated at 100W RMS, is 75W going to be enough?
How many watts should I try to pump into a sub? Say if I just went with a single 8" or 10"...

Could I get by with a 3 channel, one for each speaker in the front and 1 for the sub. Do they make an amp that puts out that kind of power on all 3 channels???

Thanks again for the info...
Old 03-23-2004, 02:33 PM
dczoner

If you want to make your money stretch as far as possible I would advise going with a 2 channel right now, but installing your fuse box and running the wires to add a dedicated subwoofer amp down the road. That way when you purchase your sub amp and sub; all the wires will be there. Literally your amp install ought to take like 12 minutes.

I like the JL products, but they are expensive. 300/4 (I think... that might be an old model...) means 75 x 4 @ 4ohm... MORE than enough to run just about any speakers.

Figure RMS does not actually mean RMS for speakers. A speaker under normal listening levels (ie above road / wind noise) will require roughly 5-18 watts of power. At higher volumes and more complicated, especially bassy parts in your music; your speakers requirements will go up. 75 watts is basically saying "you CAN throw 75 watts at me all day long and I'll play it without distorting. - but you really won't want to."

And to answer the subwoofer question the answer tends to lie in what type of music you listen to (although not 100%, just another good rule of thumb). If you like Hip hop / rap, go 10"-12". If you want to offend neighbors / get noticed - 12"'s no doubt. Rock music and country music tends to perform better with 8-10". If you're all over the spectrum, a single 10" ought to work fine.