Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Viper Alarm malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 01:28 PM
n8vz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Viper Alarm malfunction

I got a Viper 690VX Responder and it has stopped "Chirping
when i arm and disarm the alarm. Otherwise the alarm seems to work(the horn goes off when i intentionally open the door with the alarm armed. Where is the defect? (And i double checked, the valet mode is not activated)
Old 03-23-2004, 05:05 PM
KPierson
Banned

Default Re: Viper Alarm malfunction

Originally posted by n8vz
I got a Viper 690VX Responder and it has stopped "Chirping
when i arm and disarm the alarm. Otherwise the alarm seems to work(the horn goes off when i intentionally open the door with the alarm armed. Where is the defect? (And i double checked, the valet mode is not activated)
On Viper alarms you can 'deprogram' the chirps. When you shut the chirps off they only work with you do a 'silent arm' or a 'silent disarm.' On my Viper 550esp to silent arm I hit the AUX button before arming or disarming. If your car chirps this way then you found the problem.

If it still doesn't chirp, and you say the siren is functional then I'm not sure what else can be wrong. It would have to be a programming issue.

Kevin
Old 03-24-2004, 08:58 AM
n8vz

thanks for the feed back, now that i exam the problem closer, it seems that car does "chirp" but it is barely audible when i pop the hood up. It is as if the chirp volume got turned down 90%. But the alarm is very loud when i activate it. Is the "chirp" made by the same horn as the alarm?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:20 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally posted by n8vz
thanks for the feed back, now that i exam the problem closer, it seems that car does "chirp" but it is barely audible when i pop the hood up. It is as if the chirp volume got turned down 90%. But the alarm is very loud when i activate it. Is the "chirp" made by the same horn as the alarm?
The 'chirp' comes from the same siren. DEI sirens have a 'soft chirp' feature that makes the chirps not as loud as the siren. If you set your car alarm off and listen really closely you will notcie that the siren starts out quite and after about .5 seconds raises to full volume. I've never seen the soft chirp circuitry go bad, but, since it is electronic I guess it could happen!

Kevin
Old 03-24-2004, 04:49 PM
n8vz

Thanks for the info. I tried to call my original installer, Audio Options in Torrance who installed the systme for me when i was living up in Los Angeles.. got a bad tel number. To make a long story short, i stopped by a local DEI dealer earlier today, and he is not sure what is going on with the system.
Now looking back, i should have spent to $ for the alarm system on something else(like performance mods).. :-(
Old 03-25-2004, 08:18 AM
n8vz

after a bit of research i think the problem is within the siren. I have a Siren+backup Battern Combo(Revenger® Siren with Rechargeable Battery) now i am wondering if i need to replace it. the alarm function seems to work fine, but the "chirp" function is all messed up :-(