Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

For the techy's...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 09:20 PM
LeMansZCa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For the techy's...

is it possible to add a tire pressure warning control unit and sensors on the wheel to a non-tps car and have the tire pressure displayed on the center console?

or after market, like curtesy's tire pressure sensor is my only option?
Old 03-25-2004, 08:19 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Its probably not an option, or at leanst not an economical/viable option to add the factory installed system...as I just finished digging through the Factory Service Manual for info. It looks like the Tire Pressure SYstem installed from the factory is tied into the Vehicle CAN (Controller Area Network) and BCM (Body Control Module).

The Tire Pressure Module and sensors themselves will be expensive and hard to get, not to mention the fact that the harnesses may not be present when you go to hook it up. I may be wrong, and if you want to check, I attached a diagram from the FSM where you can find the Tire Monitoring Control unit. If you see an unused wire harness there, and you can actually find a dealer who will sell you the module and sensors and antenna, then I guess it will work.

Here is the diagram of the location:
Attached Thumbnails For the techy's...-tps.jpg  
Old 03-25-2004, 09:22 AM
LeMansZCa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for looking into this onecoolee!

Yeah, i went thru the service manual and saw the control unit and it seems pretty clean... but the part on the CAN and BCM did worry me.. i have the sensor on the wheel already since i got a set of Track model rims... now i am jus tthinking if i can get that control unit either from a dealer as just another part of from some salvaged Z's... and since it's FM antenna, no wiring! yeah, hooking up the control unit maybe tricky.... or maybe it just plug in??
Let me dig around that passanger area and see if there are any harnesses.... i am not very hopeful now...

thanks again!