Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

PC for your car for $120??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 07:22 PM
jcr847

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my summer project.

I figure I can get it all done with a 200gig hd for games/music and video for sub 400 (including cost of xbox)

Does anyone know the quality of the xbox sound output? My true intention for this is mobile access to my 8000+ mp3's more so than dvd or games.

How hard is it to get the feed from the xbox to play through your car speakers?

Also, is there any good software to manage that many songs without having to make playlists (pretty much the only option I've seen)?

Thanks,
(I'm just getting around to researching this now, I plan on starting the project in about 3 weeks though)
Old 04-27-2004, 07:49 PM
Bini2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by nissan_fanatic
Also, I don't what version of Xbox I have and I been trying to find out, your link doesn't.
It works for me....no problem. Try it again? Or try http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/, go to Documentation, then click on Finding out your Xbox Version.

If that doesn't work let me know and I'll rehost to my site.

1st question man does Car Control, GPS and PC01 picutes actually work, if so that is so freaking awesome, please give more details on how you tied that stuff in
Car control will work, but you have to buy some hardware from http://www.dashwerks.com to make it work. I am not going to bother with it.

I currently have my GPS installed, and it works fine. GPS is not vector based so there are not street directions, however I have a copy of McNally Street Finder and Another piece Windows GPS software (forgot the name) that I am going to try to run under wine.

I thought the chip allowed you to run EvoX, I thought it sits on top of the Xbox bios and tricks it and let's it know you have a different hard drive in it, but it tricks the xbox into thinking it is still just an xbox so you could still play regular games. I didn't know you could load EvoX without the chip, that d@mn thing cost me $75 with shipping and it is seriously delaying my progress because I can't do anything else until it gets here, I got everything else and I am ready to roll. So you are doing all of that with no chip huh, that is awesome..
The mod chips do allow you to run unsigned code (Evox) on your X-Box. However, another approach is to wait for Microsoft's Bios to load, Flash when the bios is in memmory, after it boots. No need for a chip.

With your method,
1) Can you still play regular games?
2) Can you rip games directly to your HD and play them?(I am guessing so if you have EvoX)
You can still play regular games, Yes, you can play ripped X Games.

Why do people get a mod chips?
That used to be the only way, before the software exploits. (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showforum=44). I don't know why people buy mod chips. I am not being sacastic, I really don't know.

If you have a link to what you did, I would love to read it.
I did the 007 exploit.(http://xbox-scene.com/articles/007-m...nix-loader.php)

Oh yeah, I have been doing a lot of thinking on the whole touch screen thing and I read about you were thinking of going the VGA route, more info if you have it.
The VGA route can be accomplished one of two ways. You can either build your own converter (http://xbox-scene.com/articles/vga-cable.php), but really who has time for that, or you can buy an X2VGA converter.(http://www.x2vga.com/)

I almost forgot, I am assuiming you upgraded the RAM, I can't imagine you are doing all of this on 64 MB.
[/B]
I did not upgrade my ram, I am at 64 megs atm. I plan on upgrading to 128, but it is serious work. I really don't know if I am up for it. I might hire someone to do it for a few bucks. I cannot find a link for this right now, but there are a couple of tutorials out there that tell you how to do it.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:24 AM
Bini2

2) Can you rip games directly to your HD and play them?(I am guessing so if you have EvoX)
Wanted to follow up, I ripped some games last night using dvd2xbox. After I ripped them, I played them np.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Bini2

FAQ added to my sig. I put a few of the common questions that I am asked about how to turn your XBox into a Car PC.

If any of you guys want, I can set up your XBox if you are going to Z Dayz. Just PM me. Cost is 1 bottle of New Castle.

I might have a CD soon (been saying that for 2 weeks...lol) that I can pass out if anyone is interested. Again, PM me.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:13 PM
nissan_fanatic

Originally posted by Bini2
FAQ added to my sig. I put a few of the common questions that I am asked about how to turn your XBox into a Car PC.

If any of you guys want, I can set up your XBox if you are going to Z Dayz. Just PM me. Cost is 1 bottle of New Castle.

I might have a CD soon (been saying that for 2 weeks...lol) that I can pass out if anyone is interested. Again, PM me.
Bini2,
Do you think or know if a touch screen monitor is application specific or since your finger act's like a mouse it will work with any application? The reason I ask is I am going to get the vga connector and I am hoping EvoX will work with touch screen, what are your thoughts?
When and where is Z dayz, i am only about 4 hours from Atlanta
Old 05-03-2004, 01:53 PM
Bini2

Bini2,
Do you think or know if a touch screen monitor is application specific or since your finger act's like a mouse it will work with any application? The reason I ask is I am going to get the vga connector and I am hoping EvoX will work with touch screen, what are your thoughts?
When and where is Z dayz, i am only about 4 hours from Atlanta
I don't think the touch screen will work with EvoX. Reason being, my mouse doesn't work w/ Evox.

So your choices would be to
a) boot directly into Linux.
b) Use a XBox Controller to boot into Linux

If you choose "a", then you would need to put a Game in the XBox to prevent it from booting.

I just plan on using a game controller until I discover a more eligant solution.

When and where is Z dayz, i am only about 4 hours from Atlanta.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=45291

If you want to go tell them you are with the ZDayz group, who knows they might still honor the discount that was offered to those that signed up early.

It should be allot of fun.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:44 PM
andycapp

Bini2,

What kind of boot times are you getting from power on to running in X? It looks like you are still logging in each time you boot; are you still doing that?

BTW, this is a great use for the X-box linux project. I've been following it for quite some time, but haven't had a good reason (other than maybe myth-tv) to get one and put linux on it. Now I think I'm sold on picking one up.

-andy
Old 05-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Bini2

Originally posted by andycapp
Bini2,

What kind of boot times are you getting from power on to running in X? It looks like you are still logging in each time you boot; are you still doing that?
Its about a minute, I have not timed it. My goal is to load http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/ Software suspend on it, then booting intervals will dramatically decrease.

Originally posted by andycapp
Bini2,
BTW, this is a great use for the X-box linux project. I've been following it for quite some time, but haven't had a good reason (other than maybe myth-tv) to get one and put linux on it. Now I think I'm sold on picking one up.

-andy
I am loading the 1.02 load on now. They did allot of clean up, it is looking good. FreeVo (SP) is also a good use of this technology.

UPDATE: I have contacted a forrm member and just sent him version 1.0 of my XBox load. It includes EVERYTHING needed to load this on to your XBox without opening it up. I timed it, 5 minutes to bring up EvoX and then just file transfer time. I sent him a DVD with my software load (3 gigs ).

http://350tt.com/xboxcarpc/mechinstaller/howto.html

If anyone is interested PM me and we can discuss details, I am not charging anything for this, but if you are interested you would need to help me with the DVD ($1) and shipping ($5 for 2 day).

Thanks.

Last edited by Bini2; 05-03-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:56 PM
nissan_fanatic

Bini2,
I have a Question for you, I have my xbox modded up now but I must be missing something. I wanted to copy all of my DVD's to the Xbox hard drive. I have the SmartX chip with the EvoX dashboard. Have you copied your DVD's to your Xbox? You would think there would be an application just like the one to copy the games. If you have any info, please let me know.

Btw, I have played around with XBMC & XBMP, I can browse to the DVD folder and actually have associated some icons with the thumbnail with the Movie, unfortunately there is not a easy way to play the movie straight from the Hard drive without drilling down into the folder and click on the files until you find the correct one.