Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

PC for your car for $120??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Bini2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PC for your car for $120??

Yep, just buy a used XBox. IMO, it's not an easy task to take it from XBox to computer, and requires some knowledge on how the XBox works and some experience with Linux.

Warning: My pictures are kind of crappy.

My inspiration for this project came from this guys VW: http://www.dashwerks.com/. He also wrote a piece of software (Dash PC) that I am using.

The purpose of this post is to show what has been done so far with my install, and hopefully give some of us ideas for saving a little money on an PC Install for your car. I have not done the actual install into my car yet (Have to relocate my E01 Display first), but I plan on posting pics here when I have done the install.

I have been working on a project to put my XBox in my car. The Xbox was loaded with EvoX, which is a kind of program loader/OS for the XBox. It allows you to flash the bios of the XBox. Flashing the bios allows you to introduce unsigned code into an XBox....this is what makes loading an OS on the XBox possible.

From Evox, I can run the XBox normally (Regular games, ripped games...etc) or I can run Debian (1,2) (flavor of Linux).

The Debian drivers work well with the XBox and you can use it like you would any other kind of computer. You can play MP3s, DVDs, GPS Navigation, ODB II Software, Dash PC (1,2)....whatever you can think of.

Also, the XBox controllers are really USB devices. You can splice into one and install a female USB port(1 ,2) and mount it in the back of the XBox....pretty cool! Add a USB Hub to it and you are in business with keyboard, mouse, GPS Device......and so on.

The hard part is over, now I just have to tidy a couple of things up in the load, put in a bigger hard drive, and install in my car.

I am so excited.

This site will tell you a little about the Dash PC Software:
http://www.dashwerks.com/

This site has enough information to "Software Mod" your XBox:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/

Here is my Hardware list:

-- XBOX Ver 1.3
-- Lilliput 6" LCD Touch Screen
-- 5 Channel Amp (Have not purchased yet, any suggestions?)
-- Active Crossover (Have not purchased yet, any suggestions?)
-- 12 DC to 220 AC Converter
-- Deluo USB GPS
-- Sony DVD Read/Write
-- Larger Harddrive?
-- Logitech Usb Keyboard and Mouse
-- Other Misc Stuff (USB Hub, Female USB Port...etc)

Here is my Software List:

+- Evo X
+- Debian
+- Dash PC
---- Festival (Voice Navigation)
+- GPSDrive
+- Ogle (DVD Player)
+- XMMS (MP3 Player)
-- Kismet (WIFI Stuff -- GPS Drive has WIFI waypoint on Maps....gotta hook into them =))
-- Other Misc Software

The XBox make a great PC for the car.....you can play XBox games and do anything that you would normally do on a PC.....good times.

Last edited by Bini2; 04-07-2004 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:34 PM
CopperZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, questions: Do you have to open the xbox? Or is just software that you put in? How do you connect the DVD drive and the HD? and the monitor the liliput has the rca connection but it wont fit in the z.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:12 AM
Bini2

Originally posted by CopperZ
Do you have to open the xbox? Or is just software that you put in?
You only have to take the XBox apart if you want to upgrade hardware (Harddrive for instance). Optional is to Splice into a controller port to install a USB female port, but you can really do that w/ out opening the box. Just Splice into a controller extension.....I just don't like the way that looks.

How do you connect the DVD drive and the HD?
XBox comes with a DVD and Harddrive....XBox is just a Celeron 733 Mhz Computer.

and the monitor the liliput has the rca connection but it wont fit in the z.
Hmmm haven't tried to fit it in the z, hope it fits.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:00 AM
drdisco

I am a little confused about the usb ports. Do you have to splice into the wires for the controller ports inside the box to add the usb ports? Is there a way to make an adapter that would plug into the controller port instead, such as cutting the end off of a controller extension cord and splicing it into a usb cord? I guess all of the peripherals such as mouse, keyboard, etc... are run through the usb hub then? Also, are you running the sound through your stereo?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:10 PM
350ZTN

Default veryy interesting!

This is awesome! I have an Xbox that I don't really use to much, so I can use it for this! What size HDD is currently in the XBOX, and as for the USB, I'm like the others...I don't understand, any pics of this might be helpful. For the DVD do you have to buy the seperate DVD module or is it already enabled on the XBOX to play DVD's?
Old 04-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Bini2

Originally posted by drdisco
I am a little confused about the usb ports. Do you have to splice into the wires for the controller ports inside the box to add the usb ports?
You CAN splice into the ports, but it is not necessary. Its one option. The other option is as you mentioned below. I just didn't want to take up a controller port.....I splice into the port on controller 3, but I can still plug a controller in and use it.

Here is a pic, I have not soldered the connections yet:

Here is a pic from the rear of the xbox:

Is there a way to make an adapter that would plug into the controller port instead, such as cutting the end off of a controller extension cord and splicing it into a usb cord?
Exactly, you can get an XBox Game Controller extension cable and just cut into that. The only disadvantage is that it takes up a controller port.

I guess all of the peripherals such as mouse, keyboard, etc... are run through the usb hub then?
Yes they do, anything USB.

Also, are you running the sound through your stereo?

My plan is to yank the GD Bose stereo out and go Office Space on the Bose amp with a baseball bat. I will run an AMP, the Computer will do FM Modulation.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Bini2

Default Re: veryy interesting!

Originally posted by 350ZTN
This is awesome! I have an Xbox that I don't really use to much, so I can use it for this! What size HDD is currently in the XBOX
Hardware specs for the XBox: http://www.modz.co.nz/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=374

XBoxes now ship with a 10 gig. EvoX supports any size harddrive. The only catch here is that not all Hardrives will work, you have to use a drive that is compatible with the XBox, there is a list out on the internet somewhere, Google it.

Here is a guide to upgrading your XBox Harddrive:
http://www.copying-xbox-games.com/up...hard-drive.php

I plan on eventually upgrading to a 500 GB Harddrive, that should hold allot of games.

and as for the USB, I'm like the others...I don't understand,
The 4 controller ports for the XBox are USB Ports.

Hey, If you don't want to cut stuff like I did, check out what I just found, this plugs into a game controller cord:

http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/pr...roducts_id=322

any pics of this might be helpful.

Hope that helps, let me know.

For the DVD do you have to buy the seperate DVD module or is it already enabled on the XBOX to play DVD's?
The drive that you put games into is a DVD drive. No hardware is required. If you want to play the DVDs in your drive from an Operating system (Linux), then you have to have software (DVD Player) to play the DVD. I choose Ogle, look up Ogle in Google.

Side Note: Now if you want to play DVDs with the XBox Operation System (Slimmed down version of Win 2k), then they make you buy a dongle that hooks on one of your controller ports.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:33 AM
350ZTN

Default thanks

The pics helped out as well as the other responses. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:26 AM
drdisco

Default Re: Re: veryy interesting!

Great job of explaining everything. The photos helped tremendously. This seems like the sort of project that anyone comfortable with a soldering iron could tackle. Of course, with the extension cable conversion you wouldn't even need that. This one is going to have to go on my project list. Keep us posted on the install.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:51 AM
gt3

Thumbs up

This is awesome. I have been debating whether to get a xbox and this made me want to go for it. Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:58 AM
Bini2

When I am done with my XBox (2 Weeks?), I'll make a DVD image of it and I can give it to anyone interested. I can also provide instructions on how to load your XBox with the image. PM me if you are interested.

I warn you all though, if you don't have an understanding of a Linux/*nix OS, don't go this direction unless you plan on spending allot of time learning the OS on your own. Linux is very different from Windows.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:38 PM
andycapp

Bini2,

Where did you get v0.5.9, v.0.46 is the only one on sourceforge?

thanks,

-andy
Actually I just downloaded it and fired it up on my laptop and the it shows up as 0.5.9 so I guess they don't have a real strict version naming convention for sources vs filenames....

Thanks for the tips, it looks pretty cool. Now I just need to get a gps receiver!

Last edited by andycapp; 04-09-2004 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Bini2

Just find one that is compatible with Software that you are going to use for GPS.....the Deluo USB works really well with GPSDrive.

Last edited by Bini2; 04-09-2004 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:58 PM
nissan_fanatic

How is the project coming along. I am about to do something very similar but you gave me great ideas about the USB port. I am extremely insterested in that DVD once you get it put together. Please keep us updated.

So for I bought a 120 HD, a SmartXX chip (should be here this week) and hopefully have a good version of Evo. Do you have that software located so I can download it or can you email it too me. Do you have IM or anything I have questions about the upgrade if you don't mind.

Something to think about, here is what I am doing. I bought a wireless G router and a wireless G adapter for xbox so when I have my car parked in the garage I can download the latest songs or DVD's directly to it without have to remove it, mine is going to be custom mounted so removing will be difficult, so I have to have the xbox complete before I start my install and it is driving me crazy waiting.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Bini2

It's coming ok. I have my screen now, although I don't really like composite video. I might go VGA, but I want to get this thing installed first.

200 Gig Harddrive is installed (If you are upgrading your harddrive, make sure its lockable in the XBox. http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list). Which means I will be able to rip most of my DVD onto my new 600 gig partition.

Wireless is a good idea, check out http://www.kismetwireless.net/

Nothing like surfing while driving in your car.

I am almost to the point of install, just a few more issues to address. I am actually looking for an installer now.
I still need to address:
-- Startup and Shutdown Controller (Might have an EE friend help me out)
-- Finalize Power
-- Amps
-- Crossovers

Other than that, I am gtg.

Pm me if you have specific questions about software and that kind of stuff.

Also, find out which version of the XBox you have, that can tell me which approach you should take for loading Evox.

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/do...nsfinding.html

Here are some old and new pics:
http://350tt.com/images/XBoxCarPC/
Old 04-27-2004, 06:03 AM
Bini2

Which means I will be able to rip most of my DVD onto my new 600 gig partition.
600 should read 60
Old 04-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Bini2

Originally posted by nissan_fanatic
How is the project coming along. I am about to do something very similar but you gave me great ideas about the USB port. I am extremely insterested in that DVD once you get it put together. Please keep us updated.

So for I bought a 120 HD, a SmartXX chip (should be here this week) and hopefully have a good version of Evo. Do you have that software located so I can download it or can you email it too me. Do you have IM or anything I have questions about the upgrade if you don't mind.

Something to think about, here is what I am doing. I bought a wireless G router and a wireless G adapter for xbox so when I have my car parked in the garage I can download the latest songs or DVD's directly to it without have to remove it, mine is going to be custom mounted so removing will be difficult, so I have to have the xbox complete before I start my install and it is driving me crazy waiting.

Question, What are you using the SmartXX chip for? Evox? Did you consider not using a mod chip? If so why did you choose to use a mod chip?
Old 04-27-2004, 03:50 PM
nissan_fanatic

Originally posted by Bini2
Question, What are you using the SmartXX chip for? Evox? Did you consider not using a mod chip? If so why did you choose to use a mod chip?
Bini2 I am glad you are here man, you are giving me a lot of awesome ideas.

Also, I don't what version of Xbox I have and I been trying to find out, your link doesn't.

1st question man does Car Control, GPS and PC01 picutes actually work, if so that is so freaking awesome, please give more details on how you tied that stuff in

I guess I am using a chip because of my ignorance?? I thought the chip allowed you to run EvoX, I thought it sits on top of the Xbox bios and tricks it and let's it know you have a different hard drive in it, but it tricks the xbox into thinking it is still just an xbox so you could still play regular games. I didn't know you could load EvoX without the chip, that d@mn thing cost me $75 with shipping and it is seriously delaying my progress because I can't do anything else until it gets here, I got everything else and I am ready to roll. So you are doing all of that with no chip huh, that is awesome..

With your method,
1) Can you still play regular games?
2) Can you rip games directly to your HD and play them?(I am guessing so if you have EvoX)

Why do people get a mod chips?

If you have a link to what you did, I would love to read it.

Oh yeah, I have been doing a lot of thinking on the whole touch screen thing and I read about you were thinking of going the VGA route, more info if you have it.

I almost forgot, I am assuiming you upgraded the RAM, I can't imagine you are doing all of this on 64 MB.

Last edited by nissan_fanatic; 04-27-2004 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:45 PM
nissan_fanatic

Bini2,
Man I went back to your first post and re-read it and I answered almost all of my questions. I can't believe I ordered that chip when I didn't need it. Btw, I have v1.0. Even though I have live i will never play it in my car so I don't plan on installing that switch, I never play my xbox or PS2 anyway.

After reading for about 4 hours I still have these questions:

Oh yeah, I have been doing a lot of thinking on the whole touch screen thing and I read about you were thinking of going the VGA route, more info if you have it.

I almost forgot, I am assuiming you upgraded the RAM, I can't imagine you are doing all of this on 64 MB.

1st question man does Car Control, GPS and PC01 picutes actually work, if so that is so freaking awesome, please give more details on how you tied that stuff in. I read the dashwerks thing but I don't I understood it fully
Old 04-27-2004, 06:50 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally posted by Bini2

-- Startup and Shutdown Controller (Might have an EE friend help me out)
What exactly are you looking for? Maybe I can help.

Kevin Pierson
www.KPtechnologies.net

Quick Reply: PC for your car for $120??