Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Audio/Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 04:17 PM
mplc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio/Speaker Question

Does the stereo sound any better just replacing the speakers?
If so, what speakers do you recommend?

If not, what is a reasonably priced recommendation for a suitable replacement. I am not into extremely loud or super bass intensified music but rather moderate levels (sometimes louder) with a clear crisp sound. I'd rather not have a seperate sub but would not be opposed to a small one in the back. Nothing that consumes my entire cargo area.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Dissident

It might a little, or you might lose some volume, depending on the sensitivity of the speakers you are adding. You are better off replacing the headunit.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:59 PM
MSGarrett1

Default Re: Audio/Speaker Question

Originally posted by mplc
Does the stereo sound any better just replacing the speakers?
If so, what speakers do you recommend?

If not, what is a reasonably priced recommendation for a suitable replacement. I am not into extremely loud or super bass intensified music but rather moderate levels (sometimes louder) with a clear crisp sound. I'd rather not have a seperate sub but would not be opposed to a small one in the back. Nothing that consumes my entire cargo area.
Yes it will sound better replacing the stock speakers with aftermarket ones. However, I would recommend replacing both the headunit and the stock speakers. Some of the speakers have very odd impendances (12 ohms for the rear speakers), and if you have the Bose system . . . even more problems.

I can see three basic price groups for people wanting to upgrade the stock sound--

1) people who replace the headunit and the stock speakers with aftermarket ones, and power the speakers with the headunit's internal amplifier. No sub (cost of parts approx. $300-$600, depending on quality, you pretty much get what you pay for)

2) people who add an external amplifier to power a subwoofer only, and continue to power the speakers with the aftermarket headunit's built in amplifier. (cost of parts approx. $600 - $1000, again you get what you pay for). The labor cost will be higher here b/c of the additional time/effort to build a subwoofer enclosure and to mount the amplifier and run power and ground cables to the external amp.

3) people who power aftermarket component speakers and one or more subs all with external amplifier(s) (cost of parts --$1000 - sky's the limit, labor costs are greatly increased here)

As far as recommending specific speakers . . . my recommendation is this: go to a quality local car audio shop and audition various speakers and headunits. Buy what you think sounds best to you, listening to the type of music you like best. Bring some of your favorite CD's. The shop will let you play your own CD's.

You may even get to listen to speakers powered by a headunit's amplifier, depending on how that particular shop's board is setup. But the usual situation is to have the speakers powered by external amplifier(s). Just compare different speakers and headunits remembering that some speakers sound better with the additional clean power that an external amplifier provides, and that all speakers sound different in a car than they do on a panel in a listening room.

Here is what I did: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=27231

Last edited by MSGarrett1; 04-15-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:33 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Budget

First you need to come up with a budget. You can spend as much or as little as you want.

For a sub, you can fit an infinity basslink in the stock location. It is a subwoofer and amp in one box and can be bought for like $200. Good cheap bass (but no match for premium subs with lots of power). I have the basslink and like it.

As for speakers, you can always try just speakers first. But, you might find that they don't sound good or not loud enough and then you would need more (new head unit, or a new amp).

Do you have the base unit or the Bose unit?
Old 04-15-2004, 05:20 PM
mplc

Default Re: Budget

Do you have the base unit or the Bose unit?

I have the base unit.