Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Detector placement and rear-facing visibilty.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 07:06 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

crbrickman, Phoenix beat me to it. You really will get MUCH better performance out of your detector if you get it up as high as possible. On the dash like that, you may find yourself on the wrong end of a speeding ticket.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:48 PM
BRICKS Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks but

has worked great so far... has saved my *** 4 times twice over a hundred
by the way the only hill we have in south florida is a garbage dump

..... ps also talked to a radar and laser expert/ cop friend the other day who has over 140+ hours of training and he has said that the placement will be just fine hes a good friend so i will stick it there for now rally dont wanna see it in my rearview anyway but thanks
Old 09-29-2002, 08:02 PM
Z&Jet-Pilot

Dr, Bonz,

I was curious as to what these are? The arrows pointing at the seats.

And the color? Is that just a refelection which makes the Brickyard look like LeMans?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Detector placement and rear-facing visibilty.-questions.jpg  
Old 09-29-2002, 08:17 PM
infinite z

I've got my V1 in my Z, but haven't hard wired it yet. I'm wondering, for those of you who have, where/how did you ground it? I was planning on running the rj11/phone cord down to the fuse box, plugging it into that wire harness thing for the hidden display unit, since it only has 2 wires out, a hot and a ground. Thinking of putting the red wire into a fuse, but don't know where to put the ground. Who's got a good idea on that? Thanks!
Old 09-29-2002, 08:48 PM
SunsetZ

I drilled a hole in one of the silver brackets holding the Fuse box in place. Unfortunately that was not a ground. So I tested some more and found the gold screw/bolt that is below the carpet that attaches the fuse box to the vehicle (below the fuse box) is an excellent ground. I just pulled apart the prongs on the ground wire, loosened the bolt, slipped it under there, and tightened. Works like a charm.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:53 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default droind... Bonz -- question

Looked again at the place of the detector in your cars...

Question... does the detector interfere with pulling down the driver's visor ?

thanks
Old 09-30-2002, 05:15 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the worlds only color shifting Z!!! No, it's Brickyard but the lighting in my garage must do that. The "lines" on the passenger seat are only weird light reflections. I ran down to my car to make sure they weren't real!

Also, I checked my sun visor and no problemo with moving it all the way up and down.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:04 PM
all_bark

One thing I have not read.

Does the V1 come out easy when it is hard wired?

I personally do not like to leave valuable stuff in the window so that when it is parked in public the evil people in the world cannot see my V1 and decide to take it for themselves (by breaking the window)

I would want to remove it (easily) hide it under the seat till I return and then reinstall it (quickly) and be on my way.

Is that possible?

thanks
Old 12-01-2002, 03:52 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone that knows how to use the search function!

A vintage post, that I missed in all the posting going on here.

The V1 is easily removed from it's bracket by pressing a thingy on the brackets top, which spreads the pressure on the side tracks, allowing the V1 to easily slide out. The wire connection is just like a phone line, press the "Tang", and pull. I place the unconnected wire over the mirror post. I've found the V1 fits in my "No Nav. Hole".

Mine is mounted about a suction cup width to the left of the Dr's, off the dots. My visor still works to a vertical position, but the visor does block the sight of the V1 when used.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:23 AM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Originally posted by all_bark
One thing I have not read.

Does the V1 come out easy when it is hard wired?

I personally do not like to leave valuable stuff in the window so that when it is parked in public the evil people in the world cannot see my V1 and decide to take it for themselves (by breaking the window)

I would want to remove it (easily) hide it under the seat till I return and then reinstall it (quickly) and be on my way.

Is that possible?

thanks
yep u can do that, jsut up plug an d pull down, I carry my V1 between my 4runner and Z, in both cases it is hardwired.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:58 AM
Vlad

Default Re: Detector placement and rear-facing visibilty.

Originally posted by droidekaus
I've seen several different positions And now, the results...
Yesterday afternoon I ran an errand into town and was sitting at a light when I started picking up some Ka. The signal kept getting stronger as I scanned ahead to try and find the bogey and 20-30 seconds later, two cruisers came flying up to the intersection from the rear with their lights on trying to force their way through. If I had to guess, I'd say I started to pick them up ~2 miles back.
Excellent example of how completely wrong theory could be build on misinterpreted results!

Rear lens on 8500 is for LASER only! All the RADAR signals are picked up by front lens. So the only important part for radar is front visibility. Nobody is going to shoot LASER at your antiradar, cop will shoot at your licence plate, so rear laser lens is just to assure consumers and keep-up with competition (in no-use category).

BTW, just had a trip from Michigan to Florida and back. My 8500 picked every cop at sufficient distance to slow down. Front or rear.

Especially impressive was an experience near Chattanuga. We were going up on true mountain road. We were looking for reastaurant, but it turned out to be empty mountain road. We were going at about 25-30 degrees angle. And 8500 start showing K-band with increasing intensity. So when I finally met cop on top of the hill, I was a good boy allright.
As I estimated later, cop was about half a mile further, exactly on opposite side of the hill. Not just a little hill, but 30 degrees mountain hill. I don't know how 8500 did it, since there were not much around to reflect. Only mountains.
BTW, over-the-hill test, is just one of the tests were 8500 beats V1
Attached Thumbnails Detector placement and rear-facing visibilty.-85.jpg  
Old 12-02-2002, 09:08 AM
Vlad

Default Re: thanks but

Originally posted by BRICKS Z
has worked great so far... has saved my *** 4 times twice over a hundred
by the way the only hill we have in south florida is a garbage dump
You are right! I just spend a week in florida and it's not many hills there ;-)
BTW, not many cops too. I've been to Tampa, St.Petersburg, and all way down to Marco island, and I guess I saw only one cop. What a paradise. Especially with roads, which never see ice.

Then I was back to Michigan and was met buy snow storms and as mare cops on 150 miles then on previous 1150.

Anyway, the best place for radar is behind a mirror!
Attached Thumbnails Detector placement and rear-facing visibilty.-p8500.jpg  
Old 12-02-2002, 09:59 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

well. from what i've noticed with my detector is that placing it super high on the windsheild isnt that great. especially if your top of the window is tinted..

i find it almost as high as the mirror is good. but if you have the V1, the rear sensor is blocked. why?

if you have it the same height as the mirror, depending if you put it on the right side of the mirror, all the back coverage, say, behind the driver, the angle is bad. so i put it a little lower so the rear sensor has a clear wide view of the rear.

the cop radar recently did something to eliminate their backlobes of their radar, so if the cop is facing the same direction and pinging forward, you'll most likely get a signal bounced back from a car infront of you, rather than their backlobes...

but radar waves go through alot of things, so really if you have it down low around the dash, you'll still see it, but yea, higher the better.

right now i have like a 5 foot telephone cord just running from the rear cig lighter to to V1 on my window. pretty ghetto. but it works.

i really want to externally mount the v1 in an elliptically shaped dome but that would be getting kinda ghetto. heheh

-cheston
Old 12-02-2002, 10:16 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ohyea. 1 more thing

i notice alot of you have the radar looking UP.

perhaps have it face a little down to try to pick up the scatter from the ground.. radar waves travel in straight lines. so if it goes up. its up. its not gonna bounce back down

but if it bounces down it will come up..