Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Alpine System

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 10:14 AM
wireben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine System

I was unsure if I should place my sub under the strut or in the factory location; so I want to thank all the users that replied to my PM's...it helped me with my decision.

I have always been a big fan of Alpine, so I went with all Alpine components.

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-7894
Front Speakers: Alpine Type-R SPR-176A
Rear Speakers: Alpine Type-R SPR-174A
Amp: Alpine 5-Channel MRV-450
Subwoofer: Alpine Type-R SWR-1041D - 10"

Old 04-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Beaker02

Very nice. Bravo! Great pictures as well! So your amp fit under the glovebox?
Old 04-25-2004, 08:29 PM
wireben

I had to give up the hidden compartment, but oh well...I was worried about the size of the amp, but the installers said it would not be a problem. My main concern was the sub box, but the the installer did a great job making a fiberglass sub box in the factory location.

Speaking of Installers - I do not want to take any credit for the install. Tweeter in Dallas, TX did everything. After speaking to multiple companies in the metroplex, I felt they were the best for me because of their NO BS attitude.

Here is their address if anyone in Dallas, TX is looking for installers:

Tweeter
13900 Dallas Parkway, Suite A
Dallas, TX 75240

Ask to speak to Jake Goodman (Saleperson) or ***** Wranosky (Installer) Tell them Ben Pedraza sent you and maybe they will give you a hook up.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Beaker02

Very nice.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:00 PM
dbsinc

Default If you don't mind disclosing.

How much and where did you ge everything? I am planning on the same setup and am still shopping around for the front and rears, amp and box. I tried everything to mount the 10" to the brackett without making a seperate box; but I just can't eliminate the rattle completely.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:30 PM
wireben

Prices to the house & Where purchased from:

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-7894
$305.00
Ebay

Front Speakers: Alpine Type-R SPR-176A
$140.00
Rear Speakers: Alpine Type-R SPR-174A
$110.00
Subwoofer: Alpine Type-R SWR-1041D - 10"
$105.00
http://www.ikesound.com

Amp: Alpine 5-Channel MRV-450
$285.00
http://stores.ebay.com/Car-Audio-Sho...enameZl2QQtZkm

I will post how much the install was shortly. I had the alarm installed, trunk/hood pins, and some piece that rolls up the windows when the alarm is set during the stereo install. I will remove those from the bill and I should get a good idea of how much I was charged.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:35 PM
jcr847

very clean setup, Im a huge fan of the stealth look.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:19 PM
wireben

Default Re: If you don't mind disclosing.

Originally posted by dbsinc
I tried everything to mount the 10" to the brackett without making a seperate box; but I just can't eliminate the rattle completely.
A few other shops (Car Toys & Dalworth) laughed in my face when I told them I wanted the sub in the factory location. They to said, prepare for rattling...So I said F em. I do not know how how Tweeter did it, but my car is 100% rattle free.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Th3Cleaner

I have the same setup, pictures comming.. but my right Type R woofer in the right front door hits the Door when bass turned up.
I poped out the screen for the Tpye R speaker .. I then took the ring that held the screen and sealed it ontop of a Metra 6.5 1" extension, The speakers bearly missed the window.

How do yours do? in the tight fit of the doors
Old 04-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Th3Cleaner

Default Re: Re: If you don't mind disclosing.

Originally posted by wireben
A few other shops (Car Toys & Dalworth) laughed in my face when I told them I wanted the sub in the factory location. They to said, prepare for rattling...So I said F em. I do not know how how Tweeter did it, but my car is 100% rattle free.
Thats what they told me, My installers make 100K a year their the best blah blah blah... You can't make it work only we can blah blah blah...

well here is my middle finger
Old 04-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Th3Cleaner

Here is what I am working on.
For the tweaters I used a 2" holesaw and drilled right through the original tweater location, on that same piece of ABS the triangled piece, there is a slot to help ain the door panel in securing.. I had to Mod that so that my door panel could go back on over the new tweaker, or at least without poping them out.

I have Never installed before this is my first, I wanted to do it, for the reason of, learn the car better and I wanted it to look completly stock when I was done.

Lets see if it happens

Last edited by Th3Cleaner; 04-26-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:19 PM
wireben

Originally posted by Th3Cleaner
I have the same setup, pictures comming.. but my right Type R woofer in the right front door hits the Door when bass turned up.
I poped out the screen for the Tpye R speaker .. I then took the ring that held the screen and sealed it ontop of a Metra 6.5 1" extension, The speakers bearly missed the window.

How do yours do? in the tight fit of the doors
My installer said he almost called me to recommend to go with another front speaker, but finally was able to install them.

I took a closer look at my car after you mentioned the right front grill & mine fits tight as well. The driver side is perfect, but the passenger sticks out a bit. You can hardly notice it unless someone points it out...Here are some pics:::

Driver side

Pass Side

It has to be something with the passenger door I guess....
Old 04-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Th3Cleaner

here is what I did, that bottom right corner of the right door there is a clip that holds that grille in, I took wire cutters and cut that clip off then I smoothed it out with sand paper, now that gap you see is no longer there.

The clip is hitting the edge of the speaker, the speaker is pushing the clip out, remove clip remove the problem.

Notice I use bolt screws, the heads on the bolt screws do not interfear, Its the Angle of the door cover thats the real issue.

I will try to shave my right side speaker extender down just a little bit so when the bass kicks in it doesnt hit or "pop" on the door panel.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Th3Cleaner

Ask your installer if he just used the original speaker extender, the speaker was molded into it. I want to know if he just cut out the clarion and mounted into that frame.

Thank You
Old 04-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Bertg

wireben, I'm doing an all Alpine setup also. How does the Sub sound in the stock location?
Old 04-27-2004, 02:23 PM
chino

wireband......how does the whole system sound ?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:50 PM
wireben

Originally posted by Bertg
wireben, I'm doing an all Alpine setup also. How does the Sub sound in the stock location?
This is what I feel about the sub in the factory location. If you are going for "showroom, my car hits harder than yours" bass, then you may want to reconsider placing the sub in some other location other than the factory location. I do not think anyone can deny that mounting the sub backwards under the strut would make the bass hit that much harder...But since I am no longer a teenager & did not want a flashy box\setup & in an already small car, loosing any space in the hatchback was not an option for me.

With that said, do not get me wrong because the system sounds freakin great. The sub definitely hits harder with songs that have lower bass. The higher bass sound OK, but do not compare to songs with the low deep bass. I also noticed that the bass sounds better with the windows down or cracked, but I am sure this is true of all sound systems because the bass continues to travel. I listen to nothing but rap & R&B music so I sometimes have to turn the bass level down when I am in neighborhoods.

If you are in the same situation where you do not want to lose any space in the car, do not hesitate to place the sub in the factory location. I would recommend building a sealed custom box for the factory location or speaking to others in this forum about the free-air subs they decided to use. I hope this helps with your decision...

Originally posted by chino
wireband......how does the whole system sound ?
The components are loud and the bass is actually more than I need. Sounds great!!!
Come to Dallas and I will meet you so you can hear it for yourself.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:20 AM
Th3Cleaner

what setting are you using for tuning the amp.
I used around 140Hz for the fronts and 15Hz for the sub, I do not have rear speakers yet.. I tried the original 10" location and it just didnt have the quality sound I was after, so I am opting for a pre made box that fits under the rear Z-bar location. I have a small 10 enclouser back there right now and it deff... works tight.

turned speaker facing the rear to get a bass load, and it does work well, but as I am no teenie I need a solution that looks less like a box and more stock.