Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

shifter removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 09:09 PM
shift_6x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter removal

i am trying to remove my center console to get to my parking brake switch, if anyone can tell me how to remove my shifter, i would really appreciate the help. thank you
Old 05-05-2004, 10:27 PM
chaparro78

Click on this link from Zchicks.com - they have a lot of good garage info

http://zchickz.com/qshift1.htm

i wrapped a towel around my shifter and put a wrench on it and twisted the bad boy off.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:16 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

What are you going to do with the parking brake switch?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:40 PM
shift_6x

Originally posted by yobri
What are you going to do with the parking brake switch?
it is a safety feature to my remote start alarm i have installed. parking brake being engaged keeps the car from lunging forward during remote start-up if my car happens to be in gear.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:38 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by shift_6x
it is a safety feature to my remote start alarm i have installed. parking brake being engaged keeps the car from lunging forward during remote start-up if my car happens to be in gear.

Good idea, keep us posted on your progress... you must be using some sort of mercury switch or something, huh?
Old 05-07-2004, 06:24 PM
shift_6x

nah

no murcury switches. i don't want to waste my time with those, the likelyhood of me leaving my car in gear, and not setting my parking brake are very very slim to none, i have never put my car in gear when turn it off, ever. neither have i ever left the parking brake disengaged. although some people do leave their car in gear, it is not a good practice in my opinion. but in such case that one would have multiple people remote starting their z (not knowing what to do) or one that does leave their car in gear on a normal basis, a mercury switch can be installed. i think d@activetuning asked about this safety feature also since the z vice the maxima does not have a neutral wire signifying that the car is in neutral, which could be used for an input to the alarm as a safety feature. but from what i was told from an old friend of mine who walks people over the phone on how to do things like this, you will probably have to install the mercury magnetic switch from underneath the car above the transmission.....
Old 05-08-2004, 10:57 AM
fresno350

you dont have to take off the shift ****. it is a real bit*h! you can take off the screws on the base plate and work around it. thats what i did. i had the whole center console off. but, there is a plug underneath the center console towards the front that is hard to disconnect. it doesnt give you too much play in the console when its hooked up
Old 05-09-2004, 05:37 AM
shift_6x

that is what i ended up doing. i saw the two screws in the base and i wedged the back of the console up and got to the parking break wire that way. i couldn't get that shifter **** off for the life of me. i thought i was going to break the stupid thing. i used a pair of channel locks and a rag. oh well, i don't know what i was doing wrong, i got what i wanted done so i was not too worried about it. thanks for the info anyway.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:12 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Hey shift_6x, it's easier when you have something like vice grips/channel locks to turn the **** the other direction. Just don't ruin your ****... use thick pieces of flexible rubber. It's not impossible and does take patience. Even when you do get the **** moving, it still take muscle power to keep it turning