Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Radar Detectors recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Blayzed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V1

I have had my Valentine 1 for years now and it is hardwired into the mirror of my Z.
Powers off automatically when the ignition is off.
Nice and Clean and the V1 has always been an Outstanding detector.
The arrows really help you keep up your situational awareness and i have never received a ticket since ive been using the V1.
6 years and counting.
Plus they do upgrades where you send in your unit and they will send you the upgraded detector so you are always current on the new technology.

I dont think you can go wrong with the V1.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:45 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Arrows

Originally posted by Vlad
Sorry, I have to repeat it... but what usefull about ARROWS? If you see signal coming from behind or from left, than you keep speeding as nothing happened?

I'm an easy scared guy. So if I hear K or Ka I slow down first and analyze second. If I don't know the source of signal I keep the limit until safely away. If I had V1 I'd do the same. So I find arrows quite useless. They have some entertament value, but not practical.
Okay, that is a valid question. How are the arrows usefull.

You are driving along and hear a few beeps of distant/weak radar. It keeps happening for a while on the front arrow. Then, as you see a large wharehouse off the highway, the arrows say front front, side, side, back back as you pass the building. Presto, you can now be pretty confident it was the perimeter alarm of the warehouse and you are past it and resume normal driving.

Sure you COULD just go 55 until there are no beeps at all, but how do you know it is not a distant cop ahead of you who just turned off his gun to wait for you? (or that you just lost the signal for a second?)

Well, with the arrows you can tell the difference between passing the radar source and just "losing the signal for a second " like over a hill.

If the signal comes and goes, but the arrow still says "in front of you" then you still need to be carefull.

Here's another scenario. You pass a radar installation, but the detector keeps beeping. Are you still picking up the gun 1/2 mile behind you? Or is this "team day" and there is another cop in front of you? Only the arrows can tell you that.

Sure, you CAN live without arrows. Heck you COULD live without radar detection all together. But they can help you figure out what is going on in some cases.

I have found the arrows very useful over the years. Are they worth the extra $100? Hard to say. Depends on the driver I guess. I use em alot so they are worth the money to me.

Last edited by AndyB; 05-25-2004 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Arrows

Originally posted by AndyB

You are driving along and hear a few beeps of distant/weak radar. It keeps happening for a while on the front arrow. Then, as you see a large wharehouse off the highway, the arrows say front front, side, side, back back as you pass the building. Presto, you can now be pretty confident it was the perimeter alarm of the warehouse and you are past it and resume normal driving.

Yeah in this case arrows will be useful. If you are in an unfamiliar area full of warehouses. And yes, In case of such a weak and short signal I just slowdown for a minute. Never can be too careful.

Well, with the arrows you can tell the difference between passing the radar source and just "losing the signal for a second " like over a hill.

Good you mentioned it. Passport is known for excellent over-the-hill sensitivity. From rewiews/tests, and from my personal experience. So I don't have to warry about loosing signal because of the hill.

Here's another scenario. You pass a radar installation, but the detector keeps beeping. Are you still picking up the gun 1/2 mile behind you? Or is this "team day" and there is another cop in front of you? Only the arrows can tell you that.

Wrong. Expert mode in Passport will show you let's say one K signal decreasing in strength and another Ka increasing in strength.... Then it's very clear you passed K source and approaching Ka source.

Sure, you CAN live without arrows. Heck you COULD live without radar detection all together. But they can help you figure out what is going on in some cases.

Yep. The problem is I didn't find one single brand which would carry everything the best. So I had to choose between arrows of V1 and nice interface + sensitivity (according to most tests) of Passport. I've chosen Passport.

It's not a valid question if arrows worth extra $150. I know that's how Valentine is marketing their product... we are the best but expensive... bla-bla-bla... if you can afford arrows you are the guy... if you chosen another brand you are just cheap...

Truth is for most people question is not
if arrows worth extra $100-150
but
which set of features and performance to buy
It's stupid to try to save $100 when you already payed $250-300. Price played no role in my decision. If Passport desides to add arrows in future, I'll sure consider buying that model. It seems to me they are not going to... fine, I don't miss them a bit.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Old 05-25-2004, 12:58 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrows good, Vlad bad!