Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

My XM Satellite Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 06:05 PM
dczoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done doing my Delphi XM radio nav pocket w/fm modulator job. What a nightmare.

Many thanks to other users on this forum that taught me the ghetto method of wiring the positive directly off the fuse. Someone really has to find a better 12V power lead on this thing (splice in to a wire somewhere).

Anyways, I'll have a complete FAQ up in a few days, including pics, a complete guide to pulling apart the interior (what a *****) and also how to hook up the FM modulator (once again, what a *****)

Also, for all of you thinking about XM - it's WORTH IT. I've only been listening for a couple days now, but the signal is good, the variety is incredible, and the Delphi unit looks so sexy in that nav pocket its rediculous (also the remote fits nicely in to the sunglasses pocket). If you are in your car more than 5 hours a week, this is worthwhile.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:47 PM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

I have had it in my 4 runner for about 6 months now and it is completely worth it. I don't listen to cd's nor the regular radio at all (except for traffic reports) Regardless of my mood I can always find something to listen to that I like...and not jsut somethign I can deal with... I can find music that I really enjoy. Sound quality is great and having the same stations regardless of whrere u are is nice too.. i found that out last week when I drove to Texas.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:58 PM
yooda

The new 04's have an XM radio option. Does anyone know if there is a way to install the XM radio option on an 03 touring?

I really would prefer not to use the FM modulator method and would prefer everything to be in the stock head unit.

ANY ideas?
Old 11-22-2003, 04:52 AM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Originally posted by yooda
The new 04's have an XM radio option. Does anyone know if there is a way to install the XM radio option on an 03 touring?

I really would prefer not to use the FM modulator method and would prefer everything to be in the stock head unit.

ANY ideas?
There might be a way but it all depends on what the changes were to allow for XM. It might be a wireing harness and a diferent HU and the antenna or more... If it is a simple change I am sure you could swap out the parts.. but then again you are getting up there in cost wich I think would endup to be the limiting factor in getting the changes made
Old 11-23-2003, 12:07 PM
zYouLater

What is a great xm head unit to install in the Touring Z?
Old 11-25-2003, 05:04 PM
lemans

Originally posted by ScottC
Do you XM owners think it is really worth it (honestly)? I have been toying with the idea, but I heard that alot of the popular channels arent really commercial free? Do you have to sign a contract for a certain amount of time or is it truly a month to month subscription? I really dont spend too much time in the car, basically to and from work (40 min.) and a little running around on the weekends. The antenna inside took away one of my reservations, good idea! Thanks for any opinions and comments!
It is most definitely worth it IMO. As far as commercials go, I really don't notice them but I change channels just like withn a TV. I not only like the great choice in music(s much variety all with great sound) but the news, sports and talk. Have not even listened to 50% of channels available to me yet. To me commercials are overrated/stated, not to worry about since I can always go elsewhere. I have regualr am/fm cd player and cd changer xm is just another cheap option. 10 bucks a month and you can get it for less than 7.50 if you want to pay for it a few years in advance.
Still intending to install NAVIGATION system which might include a DVD capabilty for music/movies. XM is a fine option if you like options.
Wayne
Old 11-29-2003, 03:52 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Newbie question. Will the standard XM Skyfi receiver work with the OEM system in a Track 350Z? I don't have a cassette player so that car adapter kit won't work. I guess I have to go the FM mod. route.

Last edited by jmark; 11-29-2003 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:08 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually they use an FM modulator that sends the XM sound (via an FM radio signal) to your OEM radio which you must tune to a certain unused FM channel.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:12 PM
MacGyver

I thought I would jump in here and answer a few of the questiosn that have popped up in this thread...

The antenna will get better reception when it is placed upon a metal backing because the plate acts as a ground plane...the larger the plate, the better the reception (up to a point...diminishing returns, and whatnot). It is not a necessity, especially in areas not clouded by heavy tree cover and skyscrapers, but it helps.

Standard window tint will not affect reception, but metallized tints will. Practically ANY amount of metal in the tint and you're going to have significantly reduced reception, so place your antenna accordingly.