Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Alp9833+InfKappas+InfKappas+Basslink Install complete ! loads of pics !

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 08:18 PM
desiZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alp9833+InfKappas+InfKappas+Basslink Install complete ! loads of pics !

half of sunday & half of monday, and it was well worth it, sound is just amazing , i feel like i just bought my car cause i keep going and sitting in it in the garage listening to the music ...
ran into a couple of problems, including mounting the basslink in the incredibly small area behind the drivers seat... but all in all... everything works Great! ... (touch wood)... here are the umpteen pictures ...
Config:-
Alpine CDA 9833
Infinity Kappa Component Sys (front) speakers & sep. tweeters
Infinity Kappa 62.5i 's for the back
Infinity Basslink
RF 10 g amp wiring kit x 2
RCA wire
Zip ties x 50 (lol)

i even have a link to a video of the alpine 9833 if anyone's interested in how it slides....
Video of Alpine CDA 9833

Don't lose those screws !!!

Connect these to the wiring harness... there's the antenna wire on the left.. surprisingly the ground on the 350z side doesn't go anywhere... so we had to make our own ground wire and connect it to the chassis...

ouch! door panel off... a-pillar off too... to get rid of those crappy clarion tweeters...

all opened up ...

Many thanks to scarefmon.. as u can see on the seat are printouts from his how-to pictures ...

a-pillar with tweeter removed ...

crappy clarion tweeter... point to note: dunno if this was true in the 2003 models too but the tweeter in addition to a screw, is glued with a cementy-like glue to prevent it from rattling which is #$(@#$ hard to get off... we ended up drilling a hole through the screw to get the tweeter off... geez....

Crossovers' mounted and ready to go !!! (almost, few wires still dangling about as u can see...)

Injured my driver side speaker while putting the door back on... you have to shave some of the crappy speaker grill so that it doesn't hit the speaker ...

like this ...

Get those crappy clarion's out !!!!!

blistering hot day in sunny cali... that explains all the water bottles....

we used zip ties to mount the basslink, if it does cause a problem, will end up screwing it in, for now this seemed our best option... not the best but we were tired... lol ... trust me that thing didn't move an inch when i did a turn at 50

and finally the most amazing head unit i've ever owned ... just beautiful... subwoofer control... illumination... mp3 & wma with two line title / artist display... sigh.....

one last point, time and again, many ppl here have recommended that rear speakers dont do much, my personal experience, you HAVE to get new speakers for the back... makes a world of difference especially if you're using components in the front...

time to go back and play some music... gnite all !

Last edited by desiZ; 05-31-2004 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:38 PM
manofsteele2003

Nice install, I'm pretty suprised you didn't put in DVD player to go along with everything else. How does the bass sound in that location?, cause that's where I want to place a sub and I was looking for options.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:48 PM
desiZ

Originally posted by manofsteele2003
Nice install, I'm pretty suprised you didn't put in DVD player to go along with everything else. How does the bass sound in that location?, cause that's where I want to place a sub and I was looking for options.
no dvd player cause i'm building an in-car-pc...
abt the sub... sounds terrific... tried both positions facing forward and facing up/down... sounds wayyy better this way...
Old 06-01-2004, 04:24 AM
cehome

You're running the components off the Head Unit?
Old 06-01-2004, 06:30 AM
jbwii

Did you have to use a spacer for the door speakers?

If so did you make one or just buy one?

If you purchased it do you have a model number?

Thanks,
JBWII
Old 06-01-2004, 07:19 AM
Conceyted

how are these components? I had a pair of kappa components in my gsx and my experience with them was that they sounded very very high pitched, no bass at all. Do you find them to be a good speaker to go with in the z?
Old 06-01-2004, 08:14 AM
desiZ

Conceyted=> when we tested the components without the rear subwoofer, they had more kick than the stock for sure... once the subwoofer(basslink) was in, i shifted all the bass to the back and keep the fronts & the rears only for mids&his
--------------------------------------------
jbwii=> no spacer needed for door speakers, we just mutilated the stock clarions and used the spacers from those... fit perfect!
--------------------------------------------
cehome=> yes am running the components off this head unit... more than enough power with the mosfet internal amp ... (direct conn to battery)
Old 06-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Zrated

Originally posted by Conceyted
how are these components? I had a pair of kappa components in my gsx and my experience with them was that they sounded very very high pitched, no bass at all. Do you find them to be a good speaker to go with in the z?
That about somes them up.... I just have the rears in so far, and I was like..wheres the base? I hope the front components have some!

They are very clear though, but you NEED a sub with these.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Conceyted

by the way... all 3 of us have the same headunit. can we all agree on one thing, this headunit is f'ing amazing!
Old 06-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Zrated

by the way... all 3 of us have the same headunit. can we all agree on one thing, this headunit is f'ing amazing!
Yes!! I love the HU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but I think I'm tearing the rear speakers out and shipping my Kappas back.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:51 PM
desiZ

definitely... best $$ i've spent so far!!!
i just did the i-personalize thingy (After measuring distance from all four speakers & subwoofer)... burned and gonna upload tonite..,
Old 06-02-2004, 04:09 AM
D@ActiveTuning

I have the same speakers but Kappa Perfect components in the front and kappa 2-ways in the rear. I have an amp that hasn't been installed yet, and the speakers sound like crap IMO. No subwoofer yet either. I have to admit the highs sound great though, but I guess we'll see how they are when they are amped and I put a sub in.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:53 AM
desiZ

Originally posted by D@ActiveTuning
I have the same speakers but Kappa Perfect components in the front and kappa 2-ways in the rear. I have an amp that hasn't been installed yet, and the speakers sound like crap IMO. No subwoofer yet either. I have to admit the highs sound great though, but I guess we'll see how they are when they are amped and I put a sub in.
are u running them off the stock headunit ? you need a nice kick@*** headunit... like the alp9833
am still fiddling with the highpass/lowpass filters for the crossover settings ....
Old 06-02-2004, 11:44 AM
broohaha

desiZ, it looks like you used the Metra intall kit - (as did I) - however yours doesn't looks as sunk back as mine. Did you do anything special to keep it up front?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Zrated

Originally posted by broohaha
desiZ, it looks like you used the Metra intall kit - (as did I) - however yours doesn't looks as sunk back as mine. Did you do anything special to keep it up front?
Mine is also set back a little. It doesn't bother me really.

I didn't even notice his was flush until you brought it up

I used the plastikote bumper gray paint on mine. It matches the console color perfectly. It also is super durable.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:59 PM
desiZ

Originally posted by broohaha
i owe that to my buddy who's very meticulous abt stuff like that, so he re-drilled the side casings to make the alpine fit flush... took him an hour more, but i like it this way

the unit was sliding properly even with in sunk in, but removing CD's was a pain with it sunk in... this way... its right up front & easy...

Last edited by desiZ; 06-02-2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:14 PM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally posted by desiZ
are u running them off the stock headunit ? you need a nice kick@*** headunit... like the alp9833
am still fiddling with the highpass/lowpass filters for the crossover settings ....
I'm running them off a Pioneer 850MP...pretty kick *** headunit I think...
Old 06-03-2004, 12:23 PM
desiZ

Originally posted by D@ActiveTuning
I'm running them off a Pioneer 850MP...pretty kick *** headunit I think...
i guess... i'm just an alpine fan i guess and the 9833 is just un-frickin-believable... i have a pioneer in my beater
Old 06-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Zrated

Originally posted by desiZ
i owe that to my buddy who's very meticulous abt stuff like that, so he re-drilled the side casings to make the alpine fit flush... took him an hour more, but i like it this way

the unit was sliding properly even with in sunk in, but removing CD's was a pain with it sunk in... this way... its right up front & easy...
Cool idea! Nice work!
Old 06-03-2004, 04:49 PM
thadon

Good job on the install! I want to know how the basslink preforms(hows the bass?!?). For the price it is a very probable option for me. I am thinking for running nearly the same setup except the headunit, I plan on running the kenwood 7015. Any info appreciated.

Quick Reply: Alp9833+InfKappas+InfKappas+Basslink Install complete ! loads of pics !