Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Basic installation for Basslink

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:43 PM
tractng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic installation for Basslink

Guys,

I am planning to get a basslink installed myself. Haven't got it yet. Please walk me through the basic. I have the non bose.

I am going to use only two rear channels for the basslink. From other posts, I have concluded the following basics:

1) I will connect the power terminal from the battery to the bassslink going to through the firewall and under the carpet. There will be a fuse holder and also a ground cable.

2) There will be a wire from the basslink to a 12V (cigarette or ignition) to turn on the basslink?

3) The rear speakers output will go directly to the basslink, then from the basslink, I will go straight to the rear speakers?

So, all I need is a amplifier kit? Can somebody elaborate about the power cable going to the correct destination. I am not too sure about it. Should it go straight to the cigarette 12v first or should it go to the basslink first. Which wire do I need to cut from the cigarette lighter?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 06-03-2004, 02:07 PM
newmexicoZ33

The power wire goes directly to the Basslink. The remote signal wire goes directly from the Basslink to your 12V/ignition source. You also need to run wires from the Basslink to the rears speaker wires. You can simply tap into the corresponding rear speaker wires and then run the new tapped wires into the corresponding input places for the Basslink.
The actual Basslink instructions will tell you which wires you need to run into it, so that should help out a bit.

Last edited by newmexicoZ33; 06-03-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:16 PM
tractng

newmexicoZ33,

Do you own a basslink? If so, do you like the addition?

I will be tapping to just the rear channels only because I don't want to take out the HU. If using only the rear speakers will not sacrafice any loudness, I will be able to live with it. I know I will lose the funcationality of the fader control without using all four channels, but thats fine.

How difficult is it to remove the plastic panel in the rear? I read a lot of the message board, seems like a lot of work, but well worth it.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 06-04-2004, 08:06 AM
newmexicoZ33

Yes, I have a Basslink on my car and I installed it myself. Amazingly enough the removal of the rear panels is not that bad, just follow the step-by-step instructions in the "How-to" sticky thread. Also, even if you only tap into the rear, you will NOT lose your Fade functionality because the basslink simply acts like another rear speaker in that sense (just splice the rear inputs to also be the corresponding-side front inputs into the BAsslink).
I am really happy with the sound of the BAsslink. To be honest, I have my Base and Gain only set to about a 1/3 each because otherwise is just too loud (remember, there is no buffer between the hatch and the seats on the 350Z). In terms of sound, space, weight and ease of install, you can't beat it.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:31 AM
tractng

newmexicoZ33,

Just to get this straight, you just tap only 2 rear speaker with your installation?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 06-07-2004, 05:59 AM
broohaha

One other recommendation: Don't use the cig. lighter for your remote wire. I found that sometimes the basslink would come online before the HU amp, resulting in a rather annoying pop.

In terms of running the wires, I believe the basslink comes with wires that will automatically provide leads to your speakers, so no splicing required. I went with an Alpine headunit that has a sub rca outputs, so I can't say this with absolute confidence. Also, keep in mind that since you're only running the rears speaker wires, your sub will be affected by any changes to the fader....
Old 06-07-2004, 09:39 AM
newmexicoZ33

Originally posted by tractng
newmexicoZ33,

Just to get this straight, you just tap only 2 rear speaker with your installation?

Thanks,
Tony
Yes, I only tapped into the rear speakers, but you can tap into the front speakers if you choose, and as brooha stated, the basslink fades as the rear speakers would, which is what I wanted in order to be able to make the mids/highs stand out.

Brooha, the basslink wires do not provide leads to tap into the speakers. Also, I have never experienced the popping sound you mention and I am using the 12V outlet as my remote wire. The only thing I have found with the Basslink is that usually even after the car is off the power light (on the basslink) will stay on for a while while it slowly fades off, and a couple of times right after I installed it would make a loud feedback noise until the light had completely faded. I tested the remote light to make sure that it was instantaneously cutting off power with the ignition, and it was, so I just assumed that the Basslink was storing some power (like a capacitor) and so even after the power was off, it had a small charge which it slowly leaked out. It had never done this again, until yesterday when I really turned it up (Bass and gain) to show a friend for a few seconds. It only did it once and has not done it again.